Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 11, 2011, 01:02 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for bringing this review. Very interesting in regards to pricing vs. the U2410.

Dell has 3 years warranty and 3 years Advance Exchange service. They also offer a Zero Bright Pixel guarantee, where they replace the monitor if a single pixel is defective (happened on our U2410 last winter - was replaced without question).
Old April 11, 2011, 04:02 PM
Top Prospect

As stated Dell is standard 3 year with advanced exchange, and for the ultrasharps they have a zero dead pixel guarantee. Tho PVA, my original 2407.A01 died 2 1/2 years into it's life (power delivery area of the pcb had a nice scorch spot after a puff of smoke), and I got a brand new (not refurb) 2407.A04 unit less then 6 days later from Dell.

As for the TN vs IPS, if you've never seen them side by side I would understand why people think TN look fine. It's the same reason that people think ipod headphones are fine, then you get a real set of headphones and realize why 'you get what you pay for' still rings true with most things. Anything with colour just looks plain washed out on a TN panel, no matter the bit quality.
Old April 11, 2011, 04:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Is the monitor able to run in standard sRGB? I hate running games and movies in anything above the standard color space, where colors are so saturated its obnoxious. Ironically, the majority always goes, "OMG, the colors are so bright and amazing. This monitor has the best colors EVAR!" Yet they fail to realize that the colors are not accurate. I prefer running in a standard sRGB color space that the media was developed with.
Old April 11, 2011, 04:55 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yes it can be run in sRGB (or Adobe RGB depending on your needs). It has 6 modes:
Adobe RGB Mode, sRGB Mode, Scenery Mode, Theater Mode, Standard Mode, User Mode

Personally I prefer "User mode" as it provide more granular control over the various features of this great panel.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 11, 2011, 05:59 PM
Rookie

So, you're used to a 6ms NEC panel for gaming... How about using a 120Hz "3D ready" TN panel for a few days? Make sure you get 120fps with fraps in games and windows. The 3d monitor reviewers all rave about how 120hz+fps makes Windows much smoother and 3d games feel more solid. The cursor is also very precise and responsive in 120hz.

I tried an lg w2363d and it was like day and night compared to my old crt at 85hz. If they make this 24" 16-10 IPS monitor 120hz compatible with zero input lag it would be perfect!

Last edited by DarkUltra; April 11, 2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old April 11, 2011, 06:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Yes it can be run in sRGB (or Adobe RGB depending on your needs). It has 6 modes:
Adobe RGB Mode, sRGB Mode, Scenery Mode, Theater Mode, Standard Mode, User Mode

Personally I prefer "User mode" as it provide more granular control over the various features of this great panel.
User mode allows for individual hue and saturation calibration of primaries and secondaries?
Old April 11, 2011, 06:18 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkUltra View Post
The 3d monitor reviewers all rave about how 120hz+fps makes Windows much smoother and 3d games feel more solid. The cursor is also very precise and responsive in 120hz.
Yeah, and vinyl stickers add 10 horsepower to a riced-out car...

I currently use a Samsung 305T as my standard monitor and I have three Acer 120Hz panels right next to me. The difference in gaming is virtually nil but you CAN see the difference in certain 3D apps. However, I would rather pay $500 for a high performance, colour accurate IPS than $450 for a TN-based 120Hz 1080P display...even for gaming.

Now combine 120Hz, 16:10 and IPS....THEN you're talking.
Old April 11, 2011, 06:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The difference in gaming between 60Hz and 120Hz is nil to you Sky? We must have a completely different set of eyes. I had the 2233RZ for a short while before I returned it due to horrible backlight bleed and horrible viewing angles (even compared to other TN panels, 120Hz panels seem to be worse off), but as a pure gaming monitor, the difference between 60Hz and 120Hz was staggering. Even moving the mouse and windows around on the desktop was much smoother compared to 60Hz.
Old April 11, 2011, 07:26 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
The difference in gaming between 60Hz and 120Hz is nil to you Sky? We must have a completely different set of eyes. I had the 2233RZ for a short while before I returned it due to horrible backlight bleed and horrible viewing angles (even compared to other TN panels, 120Hz panels seem to be worse off), but as a pure gaming monitor, the difference between 60Hz and 120Hz was staggering. Even moving the mouse and windows around on the desktop was much smoother compared to 60Hz.
Some people are very sensitive to it, others not. We're all different beings ;)

Anyways, would be awesome if we could get the ASUS and Dell U2410 side-by-side though. I'm guessing they use the same IPS panel, but who knows for certain. Basically the same price since the U2410 is usually on sale for $500 (or less) and identical connectivity I believe.
Old April 11, 2011, 07:40 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
Everyone's vision is different, I get what you're saying though as somethigns are subjective.
Much like my friend couldn't tell any difference between my LED backlit and my standard LCD, yet to my eyes they are worlds apart.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com