Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 11, 2011, 08:22 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

AkG will answer all the questions.

As for comparisons with other products, we'll get to it but I highly doubt we will see any Dell products in the reviews.
Old April 11, 2011, 09:27 AM
MVP

Will there be a 16:10 20" coming out the 24" is way out of my budget.
Old April 11, 2011, 09:38 AM
Top Prospect

About time there was something other then TN junkers released by someone other then dell and HP. The aesthetics leave something to be desired though.
Old April 11, 2011, 09:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

I really have no idea why people are so pushy for IPS panels. I mean I can understand it if your in a need to have good colors and such.. but really TN panels are not that bad.

This monitor has a lot of neat and interesting features but I think unless you need them most of them will go uneeded.
Old April 11, 2011, 10:31 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delavan View Post
Although SKY mentioned that it's NOT a gaming monitor, a lot of us are hurting for a good 16 x 10 gaming monitor...

Too bad the refresh is a little slow *I know it's not meant to be fast*...

SKY, can you tell us a little more about it's gaming performance? You mention no ghosting and 6ms is fast enough...I'm playing FPS-only....can I consider this? I'm coming from a Samsung T220....
I used MW2, Bioshock and a bit of AvP and noticed zero ghosting. Then again I have been using a 6ms NEC for over two years now and have never noticed any ghosting either. I can not guarantee you wont, but I doubt if you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDiaz View Post
How do you think this stacks up vs the Dell U2410 SKY? I'm quite excited to see this offering from ASUS, hope to see more showings this year!
I'd take Asus over Dell. I say that as while Dell's are good, the problem is when they are good they are good...but when they are bad they are really bad. Dell's QC has gotten better, but it still is not IMHO tier 1 levels and their variance from panel to panel in a given line is not exactly awe inspiring (or at least not in a good way).

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I really have no idea why people are so pushy for IPS panels. I mean I can understand it if your in a need to have good colors and such.. but really TN panels are not that bad.

This monitor has a lot of neat and interesting features but I think unless you need them most of them will go uneeded.
No comment. As the old saying goes YMMV. No product will be perfect for all people.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 11, 2011, 10:43 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Also, doesn't Dell offer a 1-year warranty on their monitors? ASUS has standard 3-year coverage.

As for the TN panel discussion, I would almost agree but when you compare the two (TN and IPS) side by side, there is absolutely no way even a good TN can hold a candle to an IPS' colour, contrast, etc. For me, it adds a whole new depth to everything from gaming to excel work.
Old April 11, 2011, 11:53 AM
Allstar
F@H

Thanks for the review, SKY.

I have a TN panel and I edited a photo which I thought the lights were blue. When printed, from 2 different shops, the blue was actually of violet hue. When viewed from a MAC panel the true colors came out. I guess it all depends on how you want to use your panel, as mentioned, for most the price is unjustified. For me this a good price point and might get one soon.

Old April 11, 2011, 12:16 PM
Banned
F@H

nice, but still a bit expensive.

also, whats with the movie colours and what not? didnt quite get that one :)

dell has 3 years on most of their products.
Old April 11, 2011, 12:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_zappa View Post
Thanks for the review, SKY.

I have a TN panel and I edited a photo which I thought the lights were blue. When printed, from 2 different shops, the blue was actually of violet hue. When viewed from a MAC panel the true colors came out. I guess it all depends on how you want to use your panel, as mentioned, for most the price is unjustified. For me this a good price point and might get one soon.
But this is what I mean.. You have a need for them so I can see someone like you making a stink about TN. But you get so many people who are like I want IPS and have never seen one before and just say it for arguments sake :)

I'm somewhat color blind so I really don't care what I use to view :P
Old April 11, 2011, 12:54 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Also, doesn't Dell offer a 1-year warranty on their monitors? ASUS has standard 3-year coverage.
I believe Dells come with a standard 3-year warranty as well. They will also replace your panel if you have as few as one stuck pixel, whereas other companies require that you have three or more. I would assume Asus provides something similar since they are pitching this as a professional product.