Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 27, 2011, 09:36 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default LCD IPS or LED IPS?

Ok, decided I want to get a proper monitor.
Mainly for gaming, preferred size is 27".
Is there really that much of a difference between an LED and LCD in terms of color and brightness? (both are IPS panels)
Thinking of Dell's U2711, but maybe should I wait for a LED IPS of the same class to become available at a normal price?
Old March 27, 2011, 10:06 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

For gaming,either one will do but you don't really need to spend the extra money on IPS panels. TN panels are just as good for gaming. I had the Dell 3007 TN panel and now have the 3008 IPS etc. etc. panel and there is NO difference when gaming. I don't know about other things the expesive models do,but for gaming a good TN is the way to go. In my opinion.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old March 27, 2011, 10:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Outside of static contrast (completely black screen) and efficiency, LED doesn't currently offer anything over CCFL monitors.
Old March 27, 2011, 10:59 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I am using a Dell U2311H CCFL IPS monitor. I like this monitor because compared to a similar price range LED TN panel monitor, the color reproduction on my IPS is far superior. The brightness of a LED is much brighter than a CCFL but even with my current monitor anything above 50% brightness strains my eyes for long periods of use. That being said the LED has more even lighting throughout the screen but still I have not noticed any thing wrong with my U2311H.

Obviously a LED IPS like the Apple Cinema Display would be far better than the CCFL IPS like my Dell U2311H. The advantage is there but if you're willing to pay more for LED backlit then go for it but for me a CCFL backlit works just fine.

As for gaming however, many claimed that IPS has slower response time compared to a TN panel at which the specs can show but I play games with my IPS panel and hardly notice any ghosting or I am just too busy playing to realize any defects. If you intend to get a TN panel monitor the best would be getting a 120Hz monitor.
Old March 27, 2011, 11:04 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I've been monitor shopping lately and here's my take. no matter what you are doing on your computer, you will be using your monitor. I think it is a good place to spend some money, and a good monitor will generally last a long time.

I will never buy a TN panel again, just because of the poor color reproduction and poor viewing angle. If you are going with a large monitor (especially if you sit fairly close to it), viewing angle does become important because the colours really wash out at angles. Tn used to have an advantage with response time, but the newer IPS panels have sub 7ms gray to gray response times. 27", I think, is the point where you need to decide if you want to go with 1920x1080/1920x1200 or 25601440/2560x1600. If you do lots of gaming/movies (and have a GPU to handle it) you want more resolution. If you do more office type tasks, resolution is less critical. Also, you need to decide between 16:9 and 16:10 ratio. I like 16:10 myself, but it's really a personal preference. LED vs LCD, LED has an advantage with contrast ratio, because some LED panels can turn off individual LEDs to get a true black. LED's also use less power and are generally a lot lighter (meaning physical weight) than LCDs.

If I was to buy a monitor today, it would be a Dell U3011.

However, I think that in the near future we will start to see some major improvements in monitors, following the trend set by TVs. 120-240hz, thinner bezels, better prices, etc... I also think that eventually they will start using coloured LED backlights to get even better colour. Not that there is anything wrong with the current IPS panels.

Go to a computer/electronics store that has a lot of monitors on display and take a look at a tn vs an IPS. Look for some bright colors, maybe a nature photo or similar and check out the color difference. Also take a step to the side and check out the viewing angles. Then you can decide for yourself if the IPS is worth the extra money.
Server - i5 3450, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, 4GB DDR3, LSI MegaRAID 9240-8I, OCZ Vertex 4 120GB, 2x SG Barracuda 3TB(RAID1), 2x WD green 2TB(RAID1), Fractal Design Array R2, WHS 2011
Old March 27, 2011, 01:55 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
For gaming,either one will do but you don't really need to spend the extra money on IPS panels. TN panels are just as good for gaming. I had the Dell 3007 TN panel and now have the 3008 IPS etc. etc. panel and there is NO difference when gaming. I don't know about other things the expesive models do,but for gaming a good TN is the way to go. In my opinion.
3007 is an IPS display and it actually a better gaming display than the 3008 since it doesn't use a scaler.

LED backlit displays generally have a wider colour gamut, better contrast are brighter than a CCFL backlit display.

Besides Apple 27" displays which are LED edgelit you aren't going to find all that many larger LED lit IPS displays at the moment though.

You can get a refurb 27" Apple for $929 here, but you are limiting your choices of videocards if you get one.
Refurbished Apple LED Cinema Display (27" flat panel) - Apple Store (Canada)
Old March 27, 2011, 02:06 PM
MVP

My System Specs

dell's u2410/u2711/u3011 are proven performer IMO, you can't go wrong with one of them
Old March 28, 2011, 12:03 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Is Dell going to replace them? The Ultrasharp series is getting pretty old, maybe some LED IPS from dell in some time?
Old March 28, 2011, 12:41 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Would be nice to see some cheap LED IPS displays as well but the Dell U2311H has served me well so far. Would be very nice to get another 2 to play in Eyefinity as it has good viewing angles. I like the Ultrasharp series as the stand is very adjustable to portrait or landscape. Most of the TN panels that are sold at my place cost slightly less than my monitor and the stand is rigid and non adjustable.
Old March 28, 2011, 04:15 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I too prefer 16x10 but as the trend now days is 16x9, it's almost impossible to find a LED 16x10...