Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 5, 2011, 12:34 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

NONE of these problems are applicable to the U2711 ;)
Not even a hint of them.
Old June 19, 2011, 11:09 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikemaul View Post
I just bought this: DELL Dell - Professional P2411H 24-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor with LED : Computer Accessories and PC Components | Dell Canada.
It's replaceing a Samsung T220 1680 x 1050.

Tell me what you all think of my choice.
PLZ don't hijack other peoples threads for new topics...just start a new thread its not that hard and helps keep everything organized. That screen is a TN panel and this thread is on IPS panels so not even remotely related imo...
Old June 20, 2011, 08:46 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalGreen View Post
PLZ don't hijack other peoples threads for new topics...just start a new thread its not that hard and helps keep everything organized. That screen is a TN panel and this thread is on IPS panels so not even remotely related imo...
Sorry Brutal.....You are right.

Would a moderator please delete my post? Thanks.
Old July 4, 2011, 04:48 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
LED cover a higher % of gamut allowing for a more "cleaner" image to be displayed. i had a issue with my lcd of which i sent back and ended up getting the LED one of which did not have such "washy" colors. i played with the non led for about 4 hours unable to configure it to my liking of which the LED monitor i later received was identical to the CRT i previously owned color wise.
Your original CCFL display must be extremely crappy to be worse than a LED one. Most white LED displays are known to have crappy color gamut and accuracy.
Old July 5, 2011, 07:11 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT7R View Post
Ok, decided I want to get a proper monitor.
Mainly for gaming, preferred size is 27".
Is there really that much of a difference between an LED and LCD in terms of color and brightness? (both are IPS panels)
Thinking of Dell's U2711, but maybe should I wait for a LED IPS of the same class to become available at a normal price?
LED only has two real advantages: 1) Quicker to reach full brightness and 2) Uses less energy and generates a bit less heat

A third possible advantage is lifespan but CCFL monitors seem to last more than long enough.

I would say the u2711 is a good display. I bought mine on a $729.00 special on Dell's "Days of Dell Deals" and I'm satisfied with it. My only issue is the uneven anti-glare coating that seems to be an LG specialty these days. Sitting it next to my older Dell 3008WFP the 3008WFP seems to have a more even and less obtrusive AG coating.

Otherwise I was very happy to see that since it's factory calibrated, it has an accurate sRGB mode, unlike my 3008WFP.

Neither has excessive input lag, though it is there, but it depends on what you are used to in terms of displays you've used to be something you may or may not notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
3007 is an IPS display and it actually a better gaming display than the 3008 since it doesn't use a scaler.

LED backlit displays generally have a wider colour gamut, better contrast are brighter than a CCFL backlit display.

Besides Apple 27" displays which are LED edgelit you aren't going to find all that many larger LED lit IPS displays at the moment though.

You can get a refurb 27" Apple for $929 here, but you are limiting your choices of videocards if you get one.
Refurbished Apple LED Cinema Display (27" flat panel) - Apple Store (Canada)
Agreed on the 3007 being a better gaming display due to no scaler, vs. the 3008WFP or U3011. Scalers normally add lag, and the more resolution you are pushing, the more a scaler has to work.

The 27" Apple Cinema is not very PC friendly. You need software to change basic things like brightness and contrast.

Wide color gamut is available on both, and really has no positive effect on Windows based PCs because of the inconsistent color management. Color-managed apps will perform proper gamut transformation but other apps (including games) don't. (Ie. from wide color gamut to standard). The issue here is that you end up with super saturated reds and greens (especially) and even blues are overly saturated, though less noticeable.

Macs have a color-managed O/S and work FAR better with wide gamut displays.

Contrast can vary on both. For example, the highest contrast monitors right now are the BenQ EW2420/EW2430/VW2420H which are LED panels, but LED itself doesn't seem to have much bearing on that. The Samsung F2380(MX) were a close second and they used Samsung's C-PVA display which was CCFL.

For windows I always recommend getting either 1) An sRGB display or 2) A WCG (wide color gamut) display that has a good sRGB mode.

The U2711 falls into category 2. I just received one last week and the sRGB mode is truly quite good. Mine had a stuck pixel so a replacement from Dell is arriving today or tomorrow. They were very easy to deal with over the on-line chat I used.

In terms of brightness there are a great number of CCFL based displays that can reach obscene brightness levels. Outside of brightness reduction over the life of the panel, I don't see a good reason to get a 500 cdm/2 capable display. The other problem very bright panels introduce is that they don't go dark enough in terms of backlight reduction, so they used digital manipulation to lower brightness, which reduces the dynamic range of the display, and thus, contrast.

Not trying to shoot ya down here Lowfat, just trying to help!!!!!!!!!

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732
Old July 5, 2011, 10:48 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10e View Post
Agreed on the 3007 being a better gaming display due to no scaler
Scaler? Mind explaining? Sorry for my lack of knowledge here :$
Old July 5, 2011, 11:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Video scaler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old July 7, 2011, 11:56 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT7R View Post
Scaler? Mind explaining? Sorry for my lack of knowledge here :$
No probs, that's a good question.

Scalers will often add input lag because their job is to take an image at a certain resolution and either "upscale" to a higher resolution or "downscale" to a lower resolution. To do this they will often buffer the entire image, transform it using algorithms or multiplication and then spit it out. This doesn't affect pixel response, but it affects how quickly the pixels are "asked" to respond.

Weirdly enough, on many newer monitors the scaler does not stop working when the video card outputs a native image (ie. 2560x1600 for 30" or 2560x1440 for newer 27" monitors). In some older screens, getting the video card to handle all the up/downscaling turned off the scaler and it wouldn't add input lag, but the 3008WFP and U3011 are not able to do this. I have a 3008WFP and can say that there is a bit of input lag on it, though nothing overly noticeable to me. Same with my newer U2711.

The 3007WFP and LP3065 from HP are two monitors that have no scalers and thus why they cannot accept a single-link DVI input while the 3008WFP and U3011 can. The reason these two monitors WITH scalers can accept a single link DVI connection is if the video card is trying to output 1920x1200 or lower, and then the scaler can upscale to 2560x1600, or full panel resolution. The quality of the scaler comes into play here, and a good scaler will keep the image sharp, while an average one might introduce some smoothing/fuzziness into the image, reducing quality.

In my opinion the video cards' built-in scaling algorithms do a better job and introduce no input lag. Both nVidia and AMD/ATI have scaling options in their control panels, and with the monitors that allow the scaler to turn off when receiving native resolution, this can improve input lag.

So basically a scaler is usually a DSP or other chip with memory that can up or down scale an image to a screen.

Hope that helps!

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732