Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 28, 2011, 11:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Don't bother trying to find an LED IPS, it's not that big of a deal. Just get one of the Dell IPS's and call it a day. LED isn't going to give you much more of a colour range the only nice thing about it would be the black levels providing the panel can fully shut off the LED's. OLED is where its at, but thats a ways off yet.

Does anyone still use VA panels anymore? I wonder where people are gonna buy decent monitors from when Dell stops using IPS panels and 16:10 screens. WHAT THE HELL WILL WE DO?
Old March 28, 2011, 12:15 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
Don't bother trying to find an LED IPS, it's not that big of a deal. Just get one of the Dell IPS's and call it a day. LED isn't going to give you much more of a colour range the only nice thing about it would be the black levels providing the panel can fully shut off the LED's. OLED is where its at, but thats a ways off yet.

Does anyone still use VA panels anymore?
I wonder where people are gonna buy decent monitors from when Dell stops using IPS panels and 16:10 screens. WHAT THE HELL WILL WE DO?
You can probably thank Apple for that. Everyone and their dogs knows that IPS panels are good because Apple always premotes that they use them. Why would you buy other technology displays when you know that IPS are good.
Old March 29, 2011, 08:47 AM
Rookie

When it comes to gaming, has anyone seen the BenQ XL2410T in action?

Supposed to be a gamer's monitor... (though might be a bit small for the OP at 24 inches). I'm tempted myself, the FPS mode and all that might sound a bit gimmicky, but I've seen some fairly positive posts about it.... just wondered if anyone had any more info (or actually owned one! )

Forgot to add that the one flaw I did read about was BenQ's slightly suspect QA, but if you get a dodgy one of course I guess you can always send it back...

Last edited by Koltern; March 29, 2011 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention QA
Old May 18, 2011, 10:32 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks to all who replied, finally gone for the U2711 which answered all of my expectations and then some!
Great colors, great contrast, great resolution, great everything! :)
Old May 18, 2011, 11:27 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT7R View Post
Thanks to all who replied, finally gone for the U2711 which answered all of my expectations and then some!
Great colors, great contrast, great resolution, great everything! :)
Good choice, I love my U2711. Stunning monitor indeed.
Old May 18, 2011, 10:21 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

was that monitor $1000.00 ?
dang
Old May 24, 2011, 04:43 PM
Rookie

LED saves some power consumption
Old May 24, 2011, 06:27 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

LED isn't always necessarily better than CCFL, the Apple Cinema Displays fall short in certain aspects compared to the Ultrasharps (not the U22/U23 which are not typical IPS panels).

A local dimming LED array will definitely be superior but you rarely see those on any LCD screens (and definitely not those for under 1k).

I am personally buying a U2711. Unless they start producing local dimming LED backpanels for PC monitors, I could care less about it.
Old May 27, 2011, 02:59 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh_ultima View Post
was that monitor $1000.00 ?
dang
950$ incl. delivery, worth every penny.
Old June 4, 2011, 09:41 PM
Rookie

LED cover a higher % of gamut allowing for a more "cleaner" image to be displayed. i had a issue with my lcd of which i sent back and ended up getting the LED one of which did not have such "washy" colors. i played with the non led for about 4 hours unable to configure it to my liking of which the LED monitor i later received was identical to the CRT i previously owned color wise.