Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 9, 2011, 08:54 AM
Top Prospect

Default Multi-display set up for a small desk

I have a Herman Miller Envelop Desk which has a relatively small usable surface. I would like to go with three displays but I'm not sure what my options are. I'm guessing that three large widescreen displays wouldn't fit. I do not mind 4:3 or 5:4 displays, but they seem to be more expensive compared to similarly sized widescreen displays.

Here is a drawing of my desk for reference. To further complicate things, imagine it to have a wall on one side, a window on the other, and a giant desk lamp

Old March 9, 2011, 08:57 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I have 3 21.5" 16:9 monitors for my nvidia surround set up. Let me get out a tape measure and see what physical desk space they take up.

From edge of the far left monitor to the edge of the far right it takes up approximately 54" across. From monitor stand to monitor stand it takes up approximately 45" across. If you have no space on either side of the desk for monitors perhaps 19" ones will work, however that will severely limit your top multi-monitor resolution.
Old March 9, 2011, 09:47 AM
MVP

My System Specs

get three widescreen monitors that can be rotated to portrait mode like these on sale dells DELL Dell - Professional P2311H 23-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor : Monitors: Flat Screen LCD Computer Displays | Dell Canada

that would be some 3160 by 1920 res
Old March 9, 2011, 10:30 AM
MVP

My System Specs

With 24" monitors, it would look something like this(that's with the side displays angled at 45degree)
Unless you can stand having the monitors go beyond the edges of your desk, there isn't much that can be done with your config I'm afraid.

There is an alternative.
You could get wall mounts, and mount your screens to the wall instead of having them rest on the desk.

Quote:
and a giant desk lamp
With 3 screens, you'll find your giant desk lamp to be redundant. The 3 screens will probably shed more light than the lamp and you'll find your-self tossing it away.
Attached Images

Last edited by blaze_125; March 9, 2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old March 9, 2011, 12:14 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Would you be able to modify the desk in any way? Perhaps even a stack of old textbooks or milk crates beside the desk...
Old March 10, 2011, 10:01 AM
Top Prospect

It would probably be more useful if I showed you a picture of my desk. As you can see it is already a bit cramped with a 19" 4:3 monitor and my preposterously sized desk lamp.

It terms of resolution, I'm less concerned with total pixel count as I am with vertical pixel count. The monitor I am using now is 1280 x 1024; the width is generally fine but I don't want to drop anything below 1024 lines because things start to get cramped. That is why smaller widescreen monitors probably wouldn't work for me.

Do you think I could have one widescreen monitor and two 4:3 monitors on the side?

Old March 10, 2011, 10:08 AM
MVP

My System Specs

This calls for
No matter what, you'll probably have to ditch the lamp.
Old March 10, 2011, 11:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My desk is 45 inch large to and this is what it's looking like with a 22 inch ( on the left and a 23 inch on the right)
Yes I eat kraft diner :)
Attached Images

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old March 10, 2011, 11:18 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I'd ditch the lamp and go for a single 27". Unless you rally want multi-monitors, then Johnnyblazza's proposition is the only way to go.
Old March 12, 2011, 01:39 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
I'd ditch the lamp and go for a single 27". Unless you rally want multi-monitors, then Johnnyblazza's proposition is the only way to go.
I agree with Charlie.

A single 27" should alleviate your need for multiple monitors.