Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old March 7, 2011, 07:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fort St. John, BC
Posts: 1,220

My System Specs

Default Thin bezel, multi-monitors?

Hey,

I haven't seen anything of interest (for sale) to allow me to consider jumping into surround. I'd love to start using surround (current nvidia user), but will only be tempted with thin bezel monitors.

So far, I still only see a couple options... one samsung option (branded for eyefinity) at $1600 on sale for 3x23" with a very thin bezel. Needless to say I'm not going to consider that because of the stupid price.

Also, alienware was supposed to have a huge wrap-around monitor (expensive as well) that was continuous with no bezel, but I never saw it become a selling product.

Well, that's all I could find for surround options. I know that a couple companies released super thin bezel 30" TV monitors, but that isn't what I'm looking for! So, anyone know of anything that would be under $1k to use for surround? I'm pretty flexible with screen resolutions, but NOT bezel gaps.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old March 7, 2011, 07:41 PM
ZZLEE's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: KANATA
Posts: 2,079

My System Specs

Default

NCIX.com - Buy BenQ XL2410T 23.6IN Widescreen 120HZ LCD Monitor LED 1920X1080 2MS DVI HDMI HAS Pivot 3D Ready - BenQ - XL2410T - in Canada

120 Hz 3D ready
__________________
"EVGA hunted down the last dozen or so expats living in Karachi." SKY
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old March 7, 2011, 08:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fort St. John, BC
Posts: 1,220

My System Specs

Default

Doesn't look like that thin of bezel. I'm talking thin, as in < 15mm gap between the two monitors.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old March 7, 2011, 09:09 PM
ZZLEE's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: KANATA
Posts: 2,079

My System Specs

Default

NCIX.com - Buy Samsung MD230X3 3X23IN Triple Widescreen LCD Monitors Set 1920X1080 8MS VGA DVI DisplayPort W/ Stand - Samsung - LS23MUQHB/ZA - in Canada

2000 $ not fore gaming

More fore vdio edit work and what not.
__________________
"EVGA hunted down the last dozen or so expats living in Karachi." SKY
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old March 7, 2011, 10:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fort St. John, BC
Posts: 1,220

My System Specs

Default

That is the 'eyefinity' project monitor in my op, but thanks for taking the time to try and find me some links. It was and may be on sale (again) for $1600 at one point.

Edit: turns out you can buy them individually for about $420-$450 each Samsung SyncMaster MD230 23in Widescreen LCD Monitor w/ HAS, Multi-Display Ready at Memory Express Computers

I can't seem to figure out if they come with a stand or not... because to put 3 together would add another $250-300 for a proper bracket/stand thing, which would bring the price back up to $1600.

Last edited by draemn; March 7, 2011 at 10:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old March 8, 2011, 07:52 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Kitchener/Stoney Creek
Posts: 43
Default

dells professional series and ultrasharp series both feature pretty thin bezels. the options are pretty endless too on the size you want. wait for a good sale, and jump on some. i picked up 2 dell P2211H for $139 each on sale (they are $279 regular). they are 1080p monitors, LED back lit and they can do portrait out of the box because of the stand it uses. i currently run 1 portrait and 1 landscape at work and they work great. the ultrasharps will be alot more since they are IPS displays, so it really depends on how much you want to spend. if you wait for the right time, you can get 3 P2211H monitors for just over 400 bucks. free shipping from dell always helps too
__________________
Main|Xeon w3520 #3845a @ 4.2ghz|Rampage III Extreme|2x6950 unlocked CFX|3x2GB Corsair Dom GT 2000|Intel x25-m 160GB|Obsidian 700D
Weekend|i7 920 #3910a @ 4.2ghz|X58A-UD7 Rev 1|2xEVGA GTX 460 2GB SLI|3x2GB Mushkin Blackline 1600|Corsair F120|Raven RV01
AMD HTPC/Game Cube|Phenom II x4 940 BE|Biostar A780L mATX|XFX 6790|2x2GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer 800|WD Black 640GB|APEVIA X-QPACK2 (red)
Racing Sim|Playseat Evo|Fanatec GT3RS v2| 55" Samsung Plasma
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old March 8, 2011, 08:57 AM
JD's Avatar
JD JD is offline
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 6,894

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
That is the 'eyefinity' project monitor in my op, but thanks for taking the time to try and find me some links. It was and may be on sale (again) for $1600 at one point.

Edit: turns out you can buy them individually for about $420-$450 each Samsung SyncMaster MD230 23in Widescreen LCD Monitor w/ HAS, Multi-Display Ready at Memory Express Computers

I can't seem to figure out if they come with a stand or not... because to put 3 together would add another $250-300 for a proper bracket/stand thing, which would bring the price back up to $1600.
Doubt it comes with any stand. The only people who would buy that would be ones who are creating a video-wall of sorts and using their own mounting contraption.

Best just to buy the package IMO. Though software should be able to help correct the bezel size so it looks more natural and really, you'll only be staring at the middle screen when gaming. The side screens are more just for your peripheral view. And for typical desktop programs, you'd likely have separate windows on each screen anyways, so again the bezels wouldn't matter much.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old March 8, 2011, 12:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fort St. John, BC
Posts: 1,220

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by audirs View Post
dells professional series and ultrasharp series both feature pretty thin bezels. the options are pretty endless too on the size you want. wait for a good sale, and jump on some. i picked up 2 dell P2211H for $139 each on sale (they are $279 regular). they are 1080p monitors, LED back lit and they can do portrait out of the box because of the stand it uses. i currently run 1 portrait and 1 landscape at work and they work great. the ultrasharps will be alot more since they are IPS displays, so it really depends on how much you want to spend. if you wait for the right time, you can get 3 P2211H monitors for just over 400 bucks. free shipping from dell always helps too
are we talking < 8mm bezel on the side? That's the type of thin I'm looking at. My current Samsung E2320 has 19mm bezel, which is 38mm gap between screens, it looks sort of thin, but isn't once you put a 2nd monitor next to it.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old March 8, 2011, 02:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: London
Posts: 1,411

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
are we talking < 8mm bezel on the side? That's the type of thin I'm looking at. My current Samsung E2320 has 19mm bezel, which is 38mm gap between screens, it looks sort of thin, but isn't once you put a 2nd monitor next to it.
No, you angle the side monitors behind your main monitor. That way you only see the bezel of your main monitor and not of the side ones.

Here's mine, side bezels tucked behind.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old March 8, 2011, 03:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fort St. John, BC
Posts: 1,220

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCD View Post
No, you angle the side monitors behind your main monitor. That way you only see the bezel of your main monitor and not of the side ones.

Here's mine, side bezels tucked behind.
to be honest, I think extra bezel looks better than your choice of hiding it behind the middle monitor... I say this because the angle of the two side monitors makes it a bit 'off' for me. But I'm not sitting in front of it, am I?

Also, part of the reason I want thin bezel is I'm not going to jump into surround until I feel I can get amazing hardware for it (without dropping 2k). I'd rater wait another 10 months for thin bezels to come out than to buy now with compromises.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[FS] *SOLD* Lian-Li PC-A05NB + bezel + Lian-Li Card Reader! lemonlime Buy/Sell & Trade 4 February 21, 2011 05:34 PM
Need thin wire... biff Off Topic 29 November 23, 2010 05:16 PM
Thin Fans darksideleader Air Cooling 4 January 2, 2010 01:36 AM
[FS] Antec 300 side panels, front bezel, fans, more. dmccaulley Buy/Sell & Trade 5 July 19, 2009 03:04 PM
Multi Monitors Infiniti Display Units 1 December 7, 2008 09:55 AM