Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 8, 2011, 05:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My angle is slightly sharper than it should be, but that picture is taken from a few feet above sitting level. If I had the desk room I would stretch it out a bit more.I would agree with you if playing on eyefinity/surround meant that you had your monitors in a straight line, however it is designed to be at an angle. The side monitors are peripheral vision and are progressively fisheyed in games. You won't really get the same immersion effect with them lined up straight IMO. I agree that the smaller the bezel is, the better it will look. Also by hiding 1 of the 2 bezels I have it saves on the width, even if it looks off to you, I don't really noticed that at all. I think it would look weird having two separate bezels and an indent between the two. I suppose if you were playing with the monitors angled out further it would make sense to display the bezels differently. Whatever you choose in the end, you'll eventually see past the bezels. That's always been people's biggest concern with this technology, bezels. For me I really don't notice them and I don't think most do once you get past the adjustment phase.

I know it's ridiculously expensive, but alienware made a triple monitor with no bezels which had a natural curve to it. The thing looks beautiful and is ideal.

Here's a crappy phone pic at sitting level.
Old March 8, 2011, 06:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, I dunno... I understand the whole peripheral thing, etc, but with a 23" monitor at the correct sitting distance, I find the bezel to be just inside my vision for most gaming. I've sat in front of the Samsung MD230x3 and appreciated the thin bezel quite a bit. It would be cheap to just tack on 2 more of the same display I own ($700 w/GPU), but I just don't feel like that justifies upgrading to surround.

I think the thing for me is that I would like to go surround, but I'm not like "I have to go surround." I guess I'm just being picky because I'm having trouble with the idea of spending that much cash! I have like 3k in the bank, but I definitely see surround as a huge splurge.
Old March 9, 2011, 12:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It is quite the investment. I was pretty torn with going with nvidia 3d vision or eyefinity at the time, I had access to test a nice eyefinity setup so it won me over. I understand though if you had your monitor back the bezel would definitely fit in your field of view more. I wouldn't do it until you find what you're looking for and you're dead set on it.
Old March 16, 2011, 11:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I caved in and bought a surround set-up without going for thin bezel... lol

I decided that I can always sell the monitors for at least 60% of original buying price if some nice thin bezel monitors come out. I feel like I shouldn't have and that I just spent a a bunch of money for no good reason, but it's done! I got some ASUS LED LCD backlit 21.5" ones with about 10-11mm bezel @ 1920x1080 60Hz 5ms. LED is so sick and it's slightly better than my previous Samsung E2320 :) The big problem is the OSD has 70% of the options disabled?!?!?! so I can't properly calibrate yet... my 2nd GTX 570 is coming within a couple days, but I still have to RMA my first, so I won't be surround gaming much for a while (I'm gonna hold off and get in 1 or 2 days with surround before shipping my RMA).

Asus VE228H 21.5in Widescreen LED LCD w/ HDMI, Speakers at Memory Express Computers I paid (with tax) about $180 each. Got $20 worth of MIR that I'll send in because it doesn't hurt :)

Edit: they don't fit on my computer desk that is built into the wall (only 48" from wall to wall), so I'll have to re-arrange my room to fit an actual computer desk in here :P
Old August 19, 2012, 08:21 AM
Trial Member

In this dilemma aswell , the only resource I have found that gives exact bezel size is this Thin Bezel Monitor- Eyefinity Surround Display Setups | HardwarePal thinking in plunging on the dells as the bezels are super thin at 9mm and at a logical price