Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 25, 2011, 03:55 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Cables 101 (need help)

Sooooo...I figured i'd buy some longer DVI-D cables (male/male) for my eyefinity rig...and some longer ethernet cables.
I did not know it was going to involve more learning. lol

At Monoprice and CableSalesCanada there are cables that I assume will have no issue with my "single link" adapter.
Even if a DVI-I cable would fit in to my adapter, I see no reason to go that way for a gaming computer.

The ethernet cable search got off in to Cat5 and Cat6 land. [1]
I've got 3 computers connected via a hub...so I assume my only concern here is that they are all "Canada (T568A) or US (T568B)" standards. The Cat6 cables were what I was going to get...although I doubted i'd appreciate the difference. Better shielding may be good with so many wires on the floor together?

So do my choices for DVI-D cables look okay, and my choice for Cat6? (they don't even say whether they are T568A or B)

Does anyone know a store in the Toronto area that carries different lengths of cables?

Thanks. :)
Old January 25, 2011, 04:34 PM
F@H

My System Specs

T568A vs T568B really has no difference, and definitely isn't Canada vs US. A is commonly referred to as residential and B as business/corporate. They have a slightly different pin-out, but it'll work all the same.

CAT5e vs CAT6, no real purpose in home use. And for that matter, most CAT6 cables sold wouldn't be considered true CAT6 cables as they don't have a rigid plastic core/separator. No harm in buying CAT6, but you won't notice any difference. I have a mix of "old" CAT5e cables and CAT6 cables from Monoprice. All work the same.

As for the DVI cables, no sense in buying DVI-I/Single Link. DVI-D will work fine and gives you "future" support for higher resolutions.
Old January 26, 2011, 01:43 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks very much!
I was getting my info from Wikipedia re Can/US.
Cat5
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_5#C...er_information
"The cable is terminated in either the T568A scheme or the T568B scheme. Canada and Australia use the T568A standard, and the United States commonly uses T568B scheme. It really doesn't make any difference which is used as long as you use only one of the standards so all connections are the same at your location to avoid confusion and potential problems. Mixed cable types should not be connected in series as the impedance per pair differs slightly and may cause signal degradation."

Cat6
Category 6 cable - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The cat 6 seemed slightly better designed. But I doubted it would be noticeable in my scenario. Still...the price was only $3.50 instead of $1.50.

I don't hold Wikipedia as the authority on all things. So i'm not challenging what you say. Just referencing what I read. Sometimes it seems as if the truth about everything will always elude us. lol ;-)
When in doubt...make your best guess. :)

Thanks for the confirmation for DVI-D. :)
Old January 26, 2011, 03:09 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well I don't recall ever hearing anything about different countries using different pin-outs in my many classes on networking and cables. As long as both ends are cabled the same, it'll work.

And perhaps the CAT6 standard doesn't have a hard plastic separator in it. However the this one "CAT6" cable I looked at in my electronics class, it was far thicker and had a very hard piece of plastic shaped like a + dividing up all the pairs. Maybe it was mis-labelled or something...who knows.

Either way, none of these "problems" occur in home environments IMO. Unless you live under some major hydro lines, which AFAIK isn't even legal
Old January 26, 2011, 08:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

For the ethernet cables it doesn't really matter since as long as it complies to at least one of the wiring standards it should work. As for the DVI cables as long as they will physically plug into the monitor and computer it shouldn't matter if it's single link or dual link. This really only matters on monitors larger than 27" or with a native resolution higher than 1920x1080 (or 1920x1200). I have dealt with monoprice before and have never been disappointed.

Old February 13, 2011, 02:56 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I found out after a week of troubleshooting, that the DVI-D cables were causing a problem.
I'm now back to using the DVI-I cables that came with the monitors, and will purchase some longer monitor cables for the eyefinity rig that are DVI-I only.
Here's the thread about that issue for more info.

Has anyone heard of this...that DVI-D cables and eyefinity do not function together?
It seems very odd to me.

Last edited by Jeff1961; February 13, 2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old February 13, 2011, 06:46 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Doesn't make any logical sense that DVI-D vs DVI-I would cause issues.

Does the cable work by itself in a single-monitor configuration on any of the outputs on the card? Maybe the monitors just can't handle DVI-D?

I have experienced DVI port problems on my HD5870 though. It seems the top one doesn't work in dual-monitor configuration, only the bottom. My other monitor is connected using native DisplayPort (U2711). The top one works to some extent, but if you move any windows on the DP monitor, you end up with all this flickering and garbled stuff on the DVI monitor.
Old February 14, 2011, 01:59 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

ah...well...i'm being told elsewhere i've got my facts wrong. That the cables that came with the monitor are DVI-D...not DVI-I. This makes even less sense now as to why there would be any problem at all. In fact...why switching cables would mean the problem goes away.

A link that shows the monitor DVI-D port:
Quoting their specs on that page: "PC Input: DVI-D/D-Sub"
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Display - ASUS VW266H

The center monitor is plugged in via mini display port to DVI.
This is the adapter I have:
ACCELL Cables - Audio, Video, Speaker, Computer Cables and Interconnects

This is the new cabling I bought that seemed to be the issue:
For only $11.76 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 15ft 24AWG CL2 Dual Link DVI-D Cable - Black | High-Quality 24AWG DVI-D Cables

Photo of the Asus DVI-D cable (white) and the newer DVI-D cable:
P107075_composite | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Photo of the DVI ports on the GPU:
P1070883detail | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Photo of the problem manifesting as a discoulored screen:
P1070854s | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Photo of the problem manifesting as a blank screen:
P1070859composite600 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old February 14, 2011, 06:28 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The plot thickens....lol

Did you get more than one cable from Monoprice? If you did, do they all have the same problem? If you only have one cable, then maybe it's just faulty. I had a faulty RCA cable from Monoprice once (no audio would transmit over it) and they quickly shipped me another, no questions asked. Didn't have to return the busted one either.

I suppose another possible alternative would be to use a DVI-to-HDMI cable instead. Perhaps that would solve the problem? For only $4.69 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 15ft 28AWG HDMI DVI Cable w / Ferrite Cores - Black | 28AWG HDMI-DVI Cables The pinout seems identical to the included DVI cables at least.

To add to your confusion, the included ASUS cables are DVI-D but single-link. The ones you bought are DVI-D dual-link. Thus the missing pins on the ASUS one. Although it still really shouldn't matter, but perhaps it's wired up incorrectly inside the monitor or is grounded out or something. I don't know...
Old February 14, 2011, 08:01 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
The plot thickens....lol

Did you get more than one cable from Monoprice? If you did, do they all have the same problem? If you only have one cable, then maybe it's just faulty. I had a faulty RCA cable from Monoprice once (no audio would transmit over it) and they quickly shipped me another, no questions asked. Didn't have to return the busted one either.
I got 3 to replace all. I wanted longer cables so there was enough slack to pull my computer out from underneath the table.
I always left the center monitor cable where it was. But I switched the two for the left and right monitors. I switched them at the monitor port...then later tried switching them at the GPU port end. The problem stayed both times...which would indicate both those cables are bad if your assumption is correct. I don't think it is faulty cabling. But I have no way of knowing for sure.

Quote:
I suppose another possible alternative would be to use a DVI-to-HDMI cable instead. Perhaps that would solve the problem? For only $4.69 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 15ft 28AWG HDMI DVI Cable w / Ferrite Cores - Black | 28AWG HDMI-DVI Cables The pinout seems identical to the included DVI cables at least.
Oh...I do have other cables. An HDMI, and 3 VGA that came with the monitors as well. But none are long enough to be able to pull my computer out.

Quote:
To add to your confusion, the included ASUS cables are DVI-D but single-link. The ones you bought are DVI-D dual-link. Thus the missing pins on the ASUS one. Although it still really shouldn't matter, but perhaps it's wired up incorrectly inside the monitor or is grounded out or something. I don't know...
Thanks. I think I asked and someone said single or double didn't matter for what I was doing. However it certainly does matter that the mini display to DVI adapter is single link. And I never changed the center cable that uses the adapter. I wonder if that one dual link cable hooked up to the adapter is the issue...and for the other two it doesn't matter because their not using the adapter.

omg...so much troubleshooting. I've started getting in to installing games now...and setting up the controllers. Too much for me to test this one thing now.
At least, if I order some new longer DVI-D cables...I guess I should make sure they are single link just in case.

Tags
cables , dvi-d , ethernet