Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 20, 2011, 07:12 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Samsung FX2490HD 24" LED Hybrid HDTV & Monitor Review Comment Thread

For many, the differences between computer monitors and HDTVs are distinct enough that separate products will likely be bought in order to encompass all of benefits each brings to the table. Samsung however thinks they have found a solution: an all-in-one hybrid which combines the best features of both genres into a 24" product dubbed the FX2490HD....

*Since this is our first monitor review, any feedback would be appreciated*

[ Read full article ]
Old January 20, 2011, 09:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ncix has em in chockolat on sale

People on Newegg say it needs some work
No pip button on remote
read what they say on the egg

Dont know seems good I would like to see one in person before buying it.
Old January 20, 2011, 11:06 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Excellent, thorough review. Now you need to review my Dell U2410 and tell me how to make it look better haha

Although, since I bought it I now regret it and want a 3D monitor. I guess I don't appreciate the quality as much as someone who would really notice.
Old January 21, 2011, 03:17 AM
Rookie

Lumen and cd/m2 are not the same. Photometry (optics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old January 21, 2011, 05:52 AM
Top Prospect

Interesting review. The tests used seem to be focused on determining whether the product is a good HDTV; since it is advertised as a "HDTV and monitor hybrid", are there any tests that would determine if it is a good monitor?
Old January 21, 2011, 02:04 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The section on how accurate its colour, gamma, etc are all centered around showing if its a good monitor or not. IMHO if a panel is not accurate, its not a good monitor (same with the gaming section as that is the other main area of monitors). Luckily, this one can be adjusted to be pretty accurate so its a decent monitor, but not a great one (but it displays zero ghosting so its accurate and good for gaming).

To be blunt, relying on any TN panel as your main monitor is not a great idea, unless gaming is your number one priority and even then there are some very good alternatives out there that will not 'ghost' on ya. To be honest this is a HDTV first with some extra abilities tacked on to make it a hybrid. Its still one of the better hybrids out there and probably the first I would even consider as being able to do double duty, but 9 times out of 10 your are better off getting a "real" monitor (ips, etc) and separate HDTV than going for a jack of all trades option like this one (that other 10% is for times when you don't have room or the money to do so and this unit would be on my short list for serious consideration in that 10% of times).

Edit:

1 candela per meter squared (cd/m2) = 1 lumen per meter squared per steradian = 1 nit

Is it 100% accurate to use the terms the way I did, maybe / maybe not...but the underlying idea is sound and so is the facts expressed using them.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; January 21, 2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old January 24, 2011, 09:16 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Nice review.

I like the very low power consumption numbers, but I think it's time to move away from the TN panels on bigger screens. Samsung have their SPVA technology but they only use it in TV screens. I understand TN for basic office monitors, but I can't understand it in a multimedia/gaming monitor. Especially when it's priced so high.

Another thing to note is the really ugly stand. It is different, but it's ugly.

I see a pattern with manufacturers in general these days, not just Samsung, put as many mediocre check boxes on your product spec sheet as you can, give it a new name and a brand new price. You get more or less the same thing you got six months ago, just at a refreshed price. It can do many things but none of them well enough.

I think a monitor's #1 concern should be image quality (color accuracy, gamut, backlight uniformity, viewing angles, easy on the eyes contrast). If this is not done right then I consider every monitor a failure.

Just like this one.
Old January 24, 2011, 10:24 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Actually, Samsung has moved back to TN for their 3D HDTVs due to faster refresh rates. It really is a shame and one of the main reasons why Samsung's high end 2010 lineup lacked the excellent picture quality of the B-series.
Old April 23, 2011, 12:50 PM
Trial Member

I just bought the Samsung FX2490HD and have numerous frustrating hours to get it calibrated only to have the settings all lost when turning it off. When turning it back on, it comes on to Channel 86 with the volume up to 60 (this is not good when living in a wooden apartment building).
In TV source, everything is getting re-set every 10 min. I have it connected to an antenna for TV and with a D-Sub cable to connect to my PC.
When I turn the monitor/tv off when in PC mode, it comes back on in TV mode with all settings for both the TV and the PC lost.
Is there anyway of saving the settings???
Old April 23, 2011, 02:53 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Honestly, I experienced nothing even remotely close to what you are going through. It really sounds like you got a dud. It should not be "forgetting" / "losing" etc its settings. You should only have to set it up ONCE and be good to go as it should automatically save the settings. At this point I would contact Samsung directly and get them to step you through TS'ing it. Though I dont know if I would even go through all that IF its less than the return date from where-ever you bought it. If you are still within the return window...return it and get a full refund. If things are this wonky this early, god only knows what other gremlins are waiting in the wings to bite you later on.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr