Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Display Units (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/)
-   -   Official ATI Eyefinity/nVidia Surround Discussion Thread (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/39916-official-ati-eyefinity-nvidia-surround-discussion-thread.html)

SnoSalmon January 15, 2011 03:50 PM

Official ATI Eyefinity/nVidia Surround Discussion Thread

Ever been curious of what all the big fuss is about multiple monitor gaming?
Want to know what games work out of the box?
Want to rave about your favourite set up and games?
Trying to toubleshoot a game that doesn't seem to be working properly?

Well here is the place to do all of this. I for one was skeptical of multi-monitor gaming trying to see what the big deal was all about. After watching several youtube videos as well as chatting with a HwC member and seeing their setup the wheels in my head began to turn.

Soon after i found myself buying 3 relatively inexpensive monitors to see what my 2 465 GEs could do. I was a little baffled at first. The reason was that not all games that claim to support multi-monitor gaming actually does so properly without fiddling around with some settings behind the scenes or actually at all. Once i found a game that properly supported it was was blown away at all the extra information i was able to take in.

The first game i tried multi-monitor gaming was on Mass Effect 2, unfortunately it does not support it properly and cuts the top half off of everything making it unplayable. I eventually tried it out on Battlfield: Bad Company 2 and i absolutely loved it, have the extra viewing angles on my sides made it harder for people to sneak up on me and i could catch people out of the corner of my eyes easier. Not to mention i got more viewing angle within vehicles too.

Below is will be the ongoing list of eyefinity/surround games and how well they work. I'll update it with other people's opinions and games that they have played.

Alice: Madness Returns (Very poor support)
Aliens vs Predator (Full support)
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (Full support)
Batman: Arkham Asylum (Full support)
Batman: Arkham City (Full support)
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (Full support)
Battlefield 3 - (Full Support)
Brink (No support)
Borderlands (Poor support, requires FOV hacks to work)
Burnout Paradise (Full support)
Call of Duty 4 (Poor Support)
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 (NO support)
Civilization 5 (Full support)
Crysis 2 (Full support)
DARK VOID (No eyefinity support)
Dead Island (poor support, menus zoomed)
Dead Rising 2 (NO support)
Dead Space (Full Support)
Dead Space 2 (Full Support)
Dirt 2 (Full support)
Dirt 3 (Full support)
Divinity 2 -The Dragon Knight Saga (Full support)
Dragon Age: Origins and Awakening (Full Support Indoors, Fair Support Outdoors - extra terrain objects disappear/reappear such as trees or bushes in the foreground)
Dragon Age 2 (Full Support after first patch)
Drakensang - The River of Time (Full support provided set resolution in ini file)
Duke Nukem Forever (Full Support)
F1 2010 (Full support)
Fable III (No Support)
Fallout: New Vegas (Poor support, requires FOV hacks to work)
Fallout 3 (Poor support, requires FOV hacks to work)
F.E.A.R. Reborn (Full support)
F.E.A.R 2 (Fully support)
F.E.A.R 3 (Poor support)
First Templar, The (Poor Support, FOV issue)
Flatout 2 (Poor Support)
Flight Simulator X (Full support)
Frontlines: Fuel of war (NO support)
Fuel (No support)
Ghost Recon - Future Soldier (full support with patch 1.4 )
Grand Theft Auto 4 / episodes (full support)
Ghostbusters (Supported, cut scenes missing top half)
GTR Evolution (Online version full support)
Guild Wars (Full Support)
HAWX - Full support
HAWX 2 - Full support
Homefront (Support if following guide used: Fix Here)
Hunted: The Demons Forge (FOV issues, Fix here)
James Cameron's Avatar The Game (NO support/Full Support conflicting reports)
Just Cause 2 (Full support)
Kingdoms of Amalur - Reckoning - VERY POOR support
Lara Croft and The Guardian of Light (NO support)
Left4Dead (Full Support)
Left4Dead 2 (Full Support)
Lego - Pirates of the Caribbean (Poor Support)
Limbo - (Full support)
Mafia 2 (Full Support)
Mass Effect 2 (Poor Support)
Medal of Honor newest (Full support)
Metro 2033 (Full support)
Nail'd (Full Support, menus zoomed)
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (Full support)
Need for Speed: Shift (Full support)
Oblivion (Full support)
Prince of Persia - The forgotten sands (Full support)
Race 07 (Online version full support)
Rage (Full support)
Red Faction: Guerrilla (Full Support)
Section 8 Prejudice (Full support)
Serious Sam - 1st Encounter (Full Support)
Serious Sam - 2nd Encounter (Full Support)
Sleeping Dogs - (Full Support)
Sniper Elite V2 (Full support)
Skyrim - Requires resolution to be set via... [User]\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\SkryimPrefs, as well as a fix found here
Space Marine (Full support, HUD stretched yet playable)
Starcraft 2 (NO support)
Supreme Commander (Full support)
Supreme Commander 2 (Full support)
Syndicate - (Full Support)
TimeShift (HUD on peripheral screens, but supported)
Tomb Raider Legends (NO support)
Total War (Full support)
Warhammer 40k Dawn of War 2 (Full support)
Warhammer 40k Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising (Full support)
Warhammer 40k Dawn of War 2: Retribution (Full support, fix here)
Wings of Prey (Full Support)
Witcher, The (Partial Support, in game works, cut scenes stretched to unviewable)
Witcher 2, The (Full Support on Nvidia cards, no support for AMD, CD Projekts Fault)
World of Warcraft (Mostly supported, side monitors appear stretched at times)
World of Tanks (Partial Support, only works in Windowed Mode)

Prolab January 15, 2011 04:02 PM

Since i will be toying with eyefinity, i have a question:

Does the main monitor have to be connected to a Display port of the video card and the other 2 by DVI? Or can it be connected to a DP to HDMI or a DP to DVI adapter?

Now if an adapter works, which adapter? Can the monoprice adapter works just as well compared to the official ATI adapters?

Arinoth January 15, 2011 04:06 PM

The main monitor does not have to be, you just need just one of your three monitors plugged into the display port. When you set your resolution you will be able to set which monitor is in what physical location.

The monoprice ones do not work as they are a passive passive display port to dvi/hdmi. What you need is either a passive active or an active adapter.
Cheapest around i've found is at ncix by Acell
Display Port to DVI: NCIX.com - Buy Accell Display Port to DVI Single Link Active Eyefinity Adapter Retail - B087B-005B In Canada.
Mini Display Port to DVI: NCIX.com - Buy Accell Mini Display Port to DVI Single Link Active Eyefinity Adapter Retail - B087B-006B In Canada. (i use this one)

tzetsin January 15, 2011 04:06 PM

I've been multi monitor gaming for so long i can hardly remember runing a single monitor anymore. I have 3 setups that run surround, matrox th2g, eyefinity and Nvidia's surround, If anyones got questions about any of those feel free to ask.

A couple other games to add to the list:

Flight simulator X = Full support
Dirt 2 = full support
Burn out paradice = full support
modern warfare 2 = NO support
Grand theft auto 4 / episodes = full support
Metro 2033 = full support
James Cameron's Avatar the game = NO support
Medal of Honor (newest) = full support
Lara croft and the guardian of light = No support
Just cause 2 = Supported with some caveats
Frontlines: Fuel of war = NO support
Fuel = NO support

krajee January 15, 2011 04:11 PM

Civ 5 works with no issues for me.

tzetsin January 15, 2011 04:13 PM

oh yeah, civ 5, total war series as well

matsta31 January 15, 2011 04:47 PM

Left for dead II, I'd call it supported. You also get the correct resolution in the menu. Not full, since you can see through the walls in some situation, but overall good.

Arinoth January 15, 2011 06:36 PM

Its nice we'll have this list as when i started multi-monitor i had no idea which games properly supported and didn't. I just wish my primary gpu would go to idle mode, it refuses too. It may have to do with AMD drivers, the fact i'm running crossfire or eyefinity ontop of all of that.

Prolab January 15, 2011 10:17 PM

Thanks Arinoth.

Another question, are you able to run different size monitors? ie primary monitor: 24", 25" or 27" and the other two are 22", 23", or something?

As long as the resolutions for all 3 are the same?

I couldve sworn i saw linus playing MW2 in eyefinity.

COD: black ops supported in eyefinity?

tzetsin January 16, 2011 12:44 AM

with eyefinity you can run different monitor sizes, and even different resolution monitors, however obviously you'll be restricted to the highest resolution of the lowest resolution monitor in the group. I've not tried different resolution monitors on my nvidia setup as that setup is 3d as well, so i have 3 exact monitors on it. Looking at the nvidia site however i'll quote:

"All displays must have a common resolution, refresh rate, and sync polarity"

Notice it says "common" not "exact" that would mean that if you have 3 monitors and one is not capable of ANY of the higher resolutions that the other 2 would have you'd be stuck with something like 1024x768x3 or less (i'm pretty sure every monitor anyone would be using these days will be capable of at least that) What this means is that if you have 2 16:9 monitors and a 4:3 monitor, you'll likely have issues, otherwise you can mix and match them as you wish, as long as they all share a common res / refresh rate and polarity, which pretty much every widescreen monitor will share some kind of res with every other.

The matrox TH2G is dead tech, so i wont even talk about it unless someone has a specific question.

If you saw linus playing mw2, he musta found a hack to make it work because by default your running around like a midget (fov stretches averything short and fat)

After searching around a bit i found this:

Widescreen Fixer

Looks like its supposed to fix mw2 and black ops (asuming because black ops is included in the fix that black ops doesnt work with eyefinity)

I've never used it, so check it out an see if it works, let us know.