Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 20, 2011, 07:20 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I am using 3 21.5" monitors whom i have slightly angled as well. In my case its probably 15-20% at most however its hardly noticeable when i play games (same with the bezels in very fast games like NFS:HS).
Old March 20, 2011, 06:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks... Sadly I'll be waiting for at least another 2 weeks as neither my 2nd GPU or the other monitor has come in yet and I'm gonna RMA my first GPU on Monday or Tuesday. So, games seem to want them to be angled?
Old March 20, 2011, 07:38 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I have just left them at the angle i have them due to the fact every game i've played they work out just fine and the lack there of desk space
Old March 20, 2011, 08:11 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
I have just left them at the angle i have them due to the fact every game i've played they work out just fine and the lack there of desk space
I can relate to this exactly. I have a nice looking rig (Corsair 800d, water cooled I7 etc) so ended up building an extension on the side of my desk so I didn't have to put the system unit under my desk ;)
Old March 22, 2011, 06:46 AM
Allstar

Default Quick question for Eyefinity

I am currently waiting on my crossfire board to come in, but I have two 6870s that I will be crossfiring. I just had an opportunity to order 3 screens all the same size make etc... My question is, since each card only has two ports that are the same, can I use two DVI ports on the first card and one DVI port on the 2nd crossfired card and have it work in a eyefinity group. I would just try it myself before deciding on a monitor, but it is taking forever for my board to ship.

2nd question, I usually buy Samsung monitors but the price on this model has peaked my interest. ASUS VW224U for $136, any better suggestions for this price range? I use my pc for work 90% of the time, but do like to game it up every now and again when life is not nuts. I am looking at a 3 monitor hookup, I would be happy with a smaller monitor, but pricing makes it pointless... as it is 3 of these are 1.5Meters across. I will be rigging up wall mounts to hold the monitors hopefully with a bit of a curve on the 2 outside monitors. I do a lot of remote server work so if I could dedicated two remote sessions/monitoring to the outside monitors that leaves normal desktop in the center. Then eyefinity in games is just a perk, and having just played with two monitors in eyefinity, you need three... or else the bezels get in the way of the center of the screen...where all the action happens.

Any suggestions welcomed on monitor choice.

*** Edit ***

I see I need a active display port adapter, so now its just thoughts on those monitors.

Last edited by BlueByte; March 22, 2011 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Partially resolved
Old March 25, 2011, 04:17 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Just Cause 2 = (Mostly supported, unable to hijack)
I've installed the below patch and can confirm that it works flawlessy.

Just Cause 2 July 2010 PC Title Update
  • Fixed issues that would cause vehicles and people would stop spawning.
  • Enemies will not fire on the player while they are struggling with an enemy on a vehicle.
  • Increased the presence of the Vanderbildt Leisure Liner.
  • Benchmark results now displays correct memory for various graphics cards.
  • Fix to allow players to bind mouse button 4 and 5.
  • Fix to allow players to bind E button correctly.
  • Fix to display quicktime prompts correctly when running in Eyefinity mode. (hijacking)
  • Enable triple buffering when vsync is on.
  • Lowered mouse sensitivity when freefalling.
  • Localized "Completion" for Polish and Russian versions
  • Localized "Mercenary Mode" for Polish version.
  • Correct settings on benchmark results screen (MSAA rather than CSAA) when using AMD GPU's.
  • Reduced input to update lag.
  • Limit frame latency command line option, for reducing input to render lag ( /dxframelatency=n, 1-3, default 3).
  • Shadow size cull tweaking command line options ( /shadowcullnear=f, /shadowcullmiddle=f, /shadowcullfar=f, or /shadowcull=f for all buffers, default: 1.0)
  • Numerous stability improvements.
Rig 1 - Intel Core i5-2500k @ 4.9Ghz 1.41v | CoolerMaster Hyper212+ w/ UK3kRpm P/P | Asus Maximus IV Extreme Rev B3 | 8GB G.Skill Trident 1333Mhz DDR3 | 3GB GTX 580 SLi *3rd is incoming* | OCZ Vertex 2 40GB SSD (boot), 2x WD 320GB RAID-0, WD 1TB | CreAtive X-FI Fatal1ty Titanium Pro | Antec HCP-1200 | CoolerMaster HAF X | 3x HannStar 28" 5960 x 1200 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Logitech G15 rev2 | Logitech G9 Laser
Old April 2, 2011, 03:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just Cause 2 is amazing in surround (or I assume eyefinity too)... Damn, I have a few hiccups with installing surround (I had to reinstall the nvidia drivers every time I changed the monitors.... jeesh...) but nothing serious. It was pretty easy and bezel correction works great... I'm surprised that I'm actually okay with the steep angle I'm using to fit them in the wall desk... I was going to move my desk into my room so I could set up surround properly, but I think I'll stick with what I have. Too bad it's impossible to find good wall-papers (the nvidia 3d-surround one is ok) and that your windows task bar is stretched across 3 monitors.

It sucks that 99% of games don't support proper HUD and menu-screens for multi monitor gaming, but it's still an amazing experience!!!
Old April 2, 2011, 04:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Mafia 2 is amazing at surround and not on your list.

Mafia 2 does use stretching of the images on the side monitors fyi, but a lot of game do that...
Old April 2, 2011, 06:12 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I can only update with games that i have either played/experienced or other people's feedback. I'll get around to updating it today however that stretching of images on the side monitors does annoy me at times (WoW does it) compared to just increasing the overall view in the game.
Old April 2, 2011, 02:22 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Simple eyefinity questions

I want to go eyefinity for gaming, but the woman caught me with a few questions I couldn't answer.

1- When you guys browse the net (like this page for ex), do you use only the center monitor ??
2- Same for lets say an excel doc, center monitor only or all monitors ??

What she really wants to know is what do text look like across 3 monitors when you have bezels or do you just use the center one.

...and YES, she's the boss.