Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 16, 2011, 05:58 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks Tzetsin

Oh found it... but his character is a midget

YouTube - MSI Radeon HD 6870 CoD Modern Warfare 2 With AMD Eyefinity on 3x 46" LCD TVs Linus Tech Tips
-Swiffy MCP35x X2, (2) Aphacool UT60 480 rad, Heatkiller rev. 3.0, i7 3930k @ 4.6 Ghz, 16 GB G.SKILL F3, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, XFX R9 290 w/ XPSC WB, Crucial M4 128GB & 240 GB Intel 530, (5) 3 TB Toshiba Drive, Corsair AX1200, Win 7 Ult 64-bit

HTPC Rig:
-G3258 @ Stock, Asrock Z97 Pro 4, Gigabyte 270x, 500 GB WD Black, (5) 2 TB WD Green, (1) 3 TB Toshiba HD, (1) 2 TB Samsung F4, Fractal Design R3, Corsair HX620 PS, Win 7 Ult 64-bit
Old January 19, 2011, 08:20 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I can attest to the fact that Dawn of War 2 works, albeit a little glitchy with my 480's (driver crash if I switch between heroes in Last Stand too quickly ). Don't know if it's driver-related or hardware-related, though.
Old January 19, 2011, 08:47 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I've really been into Dirt 2 and Need for Speed: Shift with my eyefinity setup. FPS'ers are cool in eyefinity but I'm just as happy playing them on one monitor......... IMO they're just not as fun in eyefinity as racing games can be. Especially when you have a good racing wheel and you're mashing the gas in hood view!!
Old January 21, 2011, 06:38 AM
Rookie

Divinity 2 dragon knight saga works out of the box, drakensang river of time just needs the .ini edited for your res but otherwise works too
Old January 21, 2011, 09:04 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I am surprised how well an E6400 can keep up handling eyefinity in Dragon Age without changing any of my graphic settings with a single 6870 while my main mobo is out on RMA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
I've really been into Dirt 2 and Need for Speed: Shift with my eyefinity setup. FPS'ers are cool in eyefinity but I'm just as happy playing them on one monitor......... IMO they're just not as fun in eyefinity as racing games can be. Especially when you have a good racing wheel and you're mashing the gas in hood view!!
I absolutely love the extra field of view you get in driving games such as Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit. Being able to see when a car is pulling up beside you so you can ram them against the wall really adds to it. Only downside is the fact my map is far off to the left monitor bottom left side so i have to glance there every so often, same goes with my speed however typically not as concerned as what turn is coming up next.
Old January 22, 2011, 01:13 PM
Trial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzetsin View Post
I've been multi monitor gaming for so long i can hardly remember runing a single monitor anymore. I have 3 setups that run surround, matrox th2g, eyefinity and Nvidia's surround, If anyones got questions about any of those feel free to ask.

A couple other games to add to the list:

Flight simulator X = Full support
Dirt 2 = full support
Burn out paradice = full support
modern warfare 2 = NO support
Grand theft auto 4 / episodes = full support
Metro 2033 = full support
James Cameron's Avatar the game = NO support
Medal of Honor (newest) = full support
Lara croft and the guardian of light = No support
Just cause 2 = Supported with some caveats
Frontlines: Fuel of war = NO support
Fuel = NO support

I have a question for you. I am about ready to pull the trigger on a 3 monitor set up myself. However I am up in the air if I should go Surround or Eyefinity. What is your opinion on these? If I do it will either be 2 GTX 570/580's or 2 6970's I want to know that I am not forking out money and have to sit with frustrations while I wait for either side to fix issues.
Old January 22, 2011, 04:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMonster View Post
I have a question for you. I am about ready to pull the trigger on a 3 monitor set up myself. However I am up in the air if I should go Surround or Eyefinity. What is your opinion on these? If I do it will either be 2 GTX 570/580's or 2 6970's I want to know that I am not forking out money and have to sit with frustrations while I wait for either side to fix issues.

I absolutely without a doubt hands down suggest ATI's eyefinity. Anyone who argues this is an idiot and i'll tell you why...

First off, the biggest reason i recommend eyefinity to surround is that you only need ONE GPU. People are going to argue that with a resolution that large, SLI would kick its ass. They arnt wrong, but they're stupid. In REAL WORLD experience, i notice NO difference at all gaming on my dual gtx 480 vs my single AMD 6970 or 5870. so while technically the frames are higher on the SLI system, there is zero value.

Even if you were to notice a "slight" difference (and you likely wont) there are many other reasons against Surround. These include the extra cost of having a PSU that can power them, The fact that only SLI capable motherboards are surround compatible (higher cost as well as forces you into larger cases) Fermi doesnt run cool I dont care what anyone says, so you'll have to pay special attention to case cooling. I "had" to water cool mine, it wasnt a performance or asthetic choice. And if all that wasnt enough to sway you against it, if you didnt know already, Surround is still not "officially" supported by NVIDIA. Surround works ONLY on a couple of drivers that are getting pretty long in the tooth. Eyefinity is officially supported and is getting pretty mature actually.

Some people might say that eyefinity isnt any better because it needs a dongle, well that dongle doesnt require any special hardware, its 40 bucks and requires no extra power... not much of an argment. SLI is still going to cost you more than the cost of the extra gpu.

There is only ONE advantage to surround over eyefinity and that is you can have a "second" monitor active (3 in surround = 1) where you'd need a second card (not xfired) to run anymore monitors than the 3 grouped. Even that one advantage is moot considering that a slave junk card is however cheep you want, doesnt require any real hardware change and barely costs more power... and who has room for more than 3 monitors on their desk anyway?

Now IF you want surround AND 3d, you HAVE to go surround. but think long and hard before you decide, 3d will halve your FPS, so your going to have to run a 480 or better to enjoy anything even close to full IQ, its going to be RETARDED hot, you'll need extreme cooling, and/or headphones so you dont go def from the fans, if that doesnt deture you and you can invest the time and cash to make it work, surround 3d is pretty F*in awsome.

hope that helps.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old January 22, 2011, 05:46 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I think that was very well put as it somewhat mirrors my experience with surround and ultimately choosing to go eyefinity even though i'm running it typically in crossfire. With my normal mobo on RMA i am running eyefinity on an E6400 and the single card still hauls ass quite well.
Old January 25, 2011, 03:53 AM
Rookie

Default new to infinity

ok first time setup triple lcd setup.
going to be buying this 6970x2 xfx vid but can't find water block yet hope someone makes one soon, got one ASUS VW266H Black 25.5" 2ms(GTG) HDMI 23.5" x 18.19" x 9.06, going to get one more, then add ASUS VE276Q Black 27" 1920X1080 2ms Full HD 25.31" x 17.54" x 8.66" . I know 3 identical monitors is better but want the center to be the 27in but looking at the specs there not that much difference in the screen size stand might be off but if u raise the 2 side monitors would it really harm the setup. Now the 27in lcd has native displayport and video card has mini displayport so all I need then would be mini displayport to displayport cable and the 2 dvi hookups and I should be set right/ If not can someone better explain what I'm missing?
dual serial 655 pump
240 feser/360feser rads
diamond 4870x2 ek fullcover block 38c idle
2.29 tb hds
dual pioneer dvd burners
25.5 asus lcd
mountain mod case
12x120 mm fans
corsair 1000w
Old January 25, 2011, 04:18 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Thats correct, you'd only need a mini display port to display port if you use it directly.