Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 29, 2008, 07:00 PM
Allstar

The Nvidia drivers have calibration software built-in. While it's not perfect, it generally results in a much more accurate colours than factory default.

24" PVA viewing angles still beat the living crap out of 24" TN viewing angles, but if you're used to IPS or smaller VA panels, I guess it still leaves something to be desired.

And any monitor that uses CCFL lighting is going to have some degree of uneven lighting. Some are certainly better than others, but it's impossible to avoid. LED backlit screens are much better in this regard.
Old March 30, 2008, 12:24 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I have had 4 Samsung LCD's and i loved all of them.

I started out with a 19" Samsung 931BF LCD, i liked it so much i bought a 2nd one for my 2nd PC.

I than upgrade my gaming rig to the Samsung 226BW 22" Widescreen LCD. and i loved that monitor even more than my Samsung 931BF.

And than i upgraded from the 22" 226BW to a Samsung 245BW 24" Widescreen LCD on my gaming rig and i absolutely love the 24" 245BW being able to play games in 1920x1200 is awesome.

The specs on the 226BW are better than the 245BW but the difference in resolution and screen size is worth it.

I kept my 22" 226BW on my 2nd PC and i sold off my two 19" 931BF's. Samsung makes some really nice monitors and i have been using them for longer than i can remember, all my old CRT's and Dynaflats were Samsung as well.
Old March 30, 2008, 09:02 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
The Nvidia drivers have calibration software built-in. While it's not perfect, it generally results in a much more accurate colours than factory default.

24" PVA viewing angles still beat the living crap out of 24" TN viewing angles, but if you're used to IPS or smaller VA panels, I guess it still leaves something to be desired.

And any monitor that uses CCFL lighting is going to have some degree of uneven lighting. Some are certainly better than others, but it's impossible to avoid. LED backlit screens are much better in this regard.

Thanks for the tip. I assume I'll find that in NTune?

The uneveness in BL is along the top edge. I noticed that when the screen saver kicked in yesterday. There are three bright spots from L-R starting in the top left corner( brightest), top middle and top right( least bright). Not really noticeable frankly, I edited word docs, tried a couple of games, web browsed etc since Fri nite and I can't say it bothered me at all. Some people are quite upset about this on the Dell Forums but for me it's nuthin' to be bothered about. My bifocals give me more grief using the 24" screen than anything else, I guess I'm still basking in the "holy $hit it's big" factor.....
Old March 30, 2008, 09:07 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilyeti View Post
I have had 4 Samsung LCD's and i loved all of them.

I started out with a 19" Samsung 931BF LCD, i liked it so much i bought a 2nd one for my 2nd PC.

I than upgrade my gaming rig to the Samsung 226BW 22" Widescreen LCD. and i loved that monitor even more than my Samsung 931BF.

And than i upgraded from the 22" 226BW to a Samsung 245BW 24" Widescreen LCD on my gaming rig and i absolutely love the 24" 245BW being able to play games in 1920x1200 is awesome.

The specs on the 226BW are better than the 245BW but the difference in resolution and screen size is worth it.

I kept my 22" 226BW on my 2nd PC and i sold off my two 19" 931BF's. Samsung makes some really nice monitors and i have been using them for longer than i can remember, all my old CRT's and Dynaflats were Samsung as well.
Yeah 1900x1200 kicks a$$! That 245BW was on my watch list too. That's a good choice.

Evilyeti... cool moniker... but what's Yeti doing in Brandon? Shouldn't you be in Nepal making nasty with the Chicoms?