Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 17, 2008, 04:33 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I've heard good things about that dell, a better pick than the 2408h, which is glossy. I just didn't have the $$$ even $500 for the HP was a stretch.

Old March 22, 2008, 07:42 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I just ordered that 2408WFP today. Easter sale price of $599.99, couldn't pass that up. It met all my criteria, same list as you, Empty-Quarter.
Old March 22, 2008, 07:54 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Same here, saw the deal up on thursday night, there was no way I could let that go. I get mine monday morning ^.^ Wont open it up till sometime tuesday though.

Rig // PC-A7010 :: 1050W :: Rampage :: Q6600 :: 8GB :: GTX 260
X25-V :: 4x 1TB RAID-5 :: 2x 1TB RAID-1 :: 4x 1.5TB :: 1x 2TB
G15v2 :: MX-518 :: Xonar DX :: 7 Pro x64

2408WFP :: DT770/80 :: Onkyo TX-SR605 :: Klipsch RB-61 :: SVS PB10-NSD
Old March 25, 2008, 05:47 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

W00T! Mine's been shipped!

Empty_Quarter did you get your's?
Old March 25, 2008, 05:57 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Yep, got mine 2 hours ago :D

Alrighty, Dell 2408WFP has arrived.
Heads up: Its awesome! Just wicked sick! Its HUGE!
Here is my old setup:

My previous monitor was an LG 204WT, I had dual screens running for a while until I sold one to buy this 24". I will not sell my second monitor and will keep it for times when I need it.
When I had dual screens, I thought it was HUGE, but there was no way I was using all the space unless I'm doing some work or school work, which is only for about 3 months of intense work in a year, the rest of the time, the second was just useless. When I need the extra space, Ill pull out my old 20"
Here is the my new 2408WFP in all its glory

My quick thoughts:
  1. 24" is a HUGE improvement over 20". Just phenomenal!
  2. I see no red/pink tint anywhere on the screen. I am not a color expert, in fact, I am color deficient in the colors brown and purple, so to assist me, I called my sister to check it out (junior art student - color expert) and she says the color quality is awesome (which for me is excellent)
  3. I have the older revision A00 made in mexico instead of the A01 made in china that I would have hoped for. But, I am more than happy with this one, its more than fulfilled my expectations.
  4. Its bright, it had to be turned down manually.
  5. I have one stuck pixel, which doesnt bother me because it only pops up 1/10 times. I am using "stuck pixel" fixer to try to fix it. If it fails, no biggie, I cant spot it anyway.
    I used http://www.gdargaud.net/Hack/Dead/Stuck Pixels.html to see if I had any dead pixels
  6. Build Quality is amazing
  7. Crapload of inputs.
  8. GPU is pushed to the limits when playing CSS to the ultimate max settings. In fact, the screen is so big that I suck at CSS! It will take a long time to adjust to this.
  9. Dell rocks in terms of their monitor line-up and service. Will buy agian :)
If you are looking for a 24", I highly recommend this one!
Im happy ^.^

Last edited by Empty_Quarter; March 25, 2008 at 06:02 PM.
Old March 27, 2008, 06:21 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

That Dell looks sweet. Now that you've had it for a few days how do you like it?

I see on the Dell Community Forums that there are several threads on a number of issues regarding screen brightness, hues, banding, etc. Have you noticed anything so far?

Mine arrives tomorrow.
Old March 27, 2008, 09:03 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I was quite nervous about the numorous issues reported with this monitor. Issues that I am aware of:

Many dead pixels - No dead pixels, but only 1 stuck pixel, pops up 1/10 times.
Terrible banding - Not in my case, banding is as clear as I could ever imagine it.
Bottom red corner has reddish tint - I see no red tint on the corner or anywhere of the screen.
One side is brighter than the other - Not true in my case.

This monitor is perfection, in my case at least, only thing is the stuck pixel but even then, I got no problems that some experienced.

Judging by the reviews on dell.ca, the monitor is either rated as phenomenally awesome, or a complete disaster. I guess its a gamble in this point in time. Im lucky to get a good one :)

Old March 28, 2008, 11:14 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I noticed that too, the Awesome:Disaster Ratio. I see that many reviewers mention many times the limitations of PVA screens, screen size, and backlight types to point out various types of artifacts that WILL be noticed in most cases.

The people who have issues with their screens seem to fall into these precise categories. 24" and larger VA monitors have issues with viewing angles. The CCFL backlights will at times show uneven brightness. Color correction will be resolved with proper calibration etc.

I often wonder how consumers spend $500-$1000 on something without doing a modest amount of research to familiarize themselves with the product first and then wade in "eyes wide shut".

I was aware of all these potential problems and ordered anyway.

... and I'm still waiting. Oh well I can gaze at your pics in the meantime...
Old March 28, 2008, 01:00 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Because of your picture. I just realized I have a 2208WFPt at work and it's quite nice. Not as nice as my w2207 HP at home though. And of course I haven't tried gaming on it, but I dead check for dead/stuck pixels and there are none. Needed quite a bit of adjusting to get it quite right.

Old March 29, 2008, 08:21 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I got my 2408WFP yesterday. Going from a Viewsonic 19" CRT to a 24" widescreen practically leaves me speechless. Awesome doesn't cover it. It is fcuking huge!

Good news: Set up was a piece of cake. No issues with video card (XFX8800GTX). Played around with the usual controls and finally got it set up to my liking. Contrast 100 Brightness 40 RGB at 75 ea. I don't have any proper calibration tools so these initial settings will do for now untill I can get a calibration done. No dead or stuck pixels, thought I saw one but it was a speck of dust, (used the link Empty_Quarter posted above to check, thanks Dude.)

Bad news: Very little. There is some uneveness in backlighting; Left side is slightly brighter but it is hardly noticeable for most tasks. There is some color around text in some web pages that goes away when Sharpness is reduced, unfortunately the Sharpness control is only adjustable in large increments so it tends to be softer than I'd like. Hopefully calibration will take care of that. The USB ports are a little loose, that's the only cheesy part of the build quality that I'd take issue with. The adjustment controls are kinda clunky as has been widely reported, yeah they were right. Minor issues all, no big deal.

All in all I am very happy