Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Display Units (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/)
-   -   LG any good for plasma? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/39641-lg-any-good-plasma.html)

Dead Things January 6, 2011 10:12 AM

LG any good for plasma?

Hi all,

Gonna be buying a 50-60" plasma in the next month or so and have been looking at 6-Series Sammies and G-Series Pannies so far. But just wanted to ask among those of you more experienced with such things, are there any good LG plasmas that are worth considering in the same quality/price range as the Sammies and Pannies I'm already looking at?

Thanks!

_dangtx_ January 6, 2011 10:32 AM

they have decent units,best thing to do is compare them in the store side by side. just make sure they dont use the poor cable trick on you ;)

now, would i chose an lg over a pana at the same exact price? heck no.

Eldonko January 6, 2011 12:21 PM

Panasonics are probably the best for plasma but if you are getting one make sure you get a higher end model. I bought a U series 50 inch with 1080p and the dam screen was so reflective all I could see was the room around me instead of what I was trying to watch. Exchanged it for an lcd last night.

Dead Things January 6, 2011 03:01 PM

Yeah - I've seen both the ones I'm interested in in-store, and the G-series is a couple notches up the totem poll from the U-series. By no means is it higher-end, though. More like upper-mid range.

lcdguy January 7, 2011 01:25 PM

i recently picked up a panny plasma for my parents for Christmas. Pretty decent price around $800 (on sale, reg 1099). it was the 42S2 series. Been happy with it so far. Though personally i will never own a plasma or lcd tv. HD Projector all the way baby for me :biggrin:

Empty_Quarter January 8, 2011 06:59 AM

pioneers are best for plasma, too bad they are discontinued :(

Gellidius January 8, 2011 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Empty_Quarter (Post 471995)
pioneers are best for plasma, too bad they are discontinued :(

some still can be found in stores, you must look for them...

3.0charlie January 8, 2011 01:48 PM

A few Pioneer Elites can be found in Montreal. Audio Club and Duocom (amongst others) still carry them.

martin_metal_88 January 8, 2011 05:40 PM

My parent bought a LG Plasma but I can't remember which one. It's actually a very good unit. The only down point is that like many plasma it seriously suck for reflection...That's why I prefer LCD.

Vittra January 9, 2011 05:17 PM

I've had a LGPK550 for about 4 months. It's a great unit and has had positive mention in various places including avsforum, where it's been stated that it apparently doesn't suffer (at least as severely) from degrading black levels as some panasonic units in the same price range. Just do some research on the particular model you are interested in and you should be good, not all of LGs products are equal in quality, that's for sure.