Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 13, 2011, 09:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, just thought I'd follow up this thread with the final outcome. I drove a bit to go to a 2001 Audio/Video that had confirmed it had all three of the Samsung PN50C6400, the Panasonic TCP50G25 and the LG 50PK750 on display. As luck would have it, the Panasonic was directly beside the LG and directly below the Samsung making direct comparisons easier. A floor rep also found all three remotes for me so that we could play around with the display settings. Long story short, the LG really was left behind the other two. The only way to eliminate the noise from the blacks was to mute the colours so much that they became downright dull next to the other displays. The Samsung's blacks were awesome, and its colours were good too, or so it appeared until you saw how red people's faces looked. Toning the colour and tint to restore more human-looking skin tones caused the rest of the gamut to suffer. The Panasonic's colours were simply amazing, but the blacks were only so-so. The blacks were a little noisy - nothing like the LG, but definitely not as smooth as the Samsung. But then we tried THX mode. Hello sold sign! The rep tried to explain what THX mode does, but I could tell by the fact that he was making up words that he really didn't know what he was talking about. But that's okay. I didn't care. It looked great.

Moral of the story - the PK750 is two notches down from LG's top of the line, and it looked lousy next to the mid-range Samsung and Panasonic displays. Take that for what it's worth.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!