Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 23, 2010, 07:50 AM
Rookie

Default Adore plasma but.... (G25 thoughts)

Having spent hours at the local shops, I was all set to jump at one of the LCD/LED HDTV's.
Well now that the initial sucker-punch of overly bright and over saturated colours has worn off a little bit, I find I'm leaning towards a plasma solution (Panny G25), but still with a little reservation.
Yes, I love the accurate colour rendition and deep rich blacks with subtle shading and viewing angles common to plasma, but I still have two issues with plasma that I don't find as much forum discussion about.
My primary concern is with the brightness and white levels. If one is watching bright sun reflections an a water surface, the plasma doesn't reflect the light back at you as well as seemingly a LCD/LED might. Similarly stars on a bright clear night or the headlights of vehicles just seem a little bit flat. It seems that everyone discusses black levels (which I agree are very crucial) but white levels and brightness don't seem to be addressed to the same degree.
The other concern I have with plasma is that it often doesn't seem quit as sharp. It's almost as though plasma screen actually does have the perfect image, BUT it's hidden behind a very fine veil.
Don't get me wrong, I still do currently prefer plasma and have based my opinions almost solely on the Panny 46G25. Perhaps another screen like the Samsung PN-50c7000 with firmware update) might suit better as I understand that it is supposed to be a slightly bright panel, but I don't know.
Perhaps other forum contributers with more plasmna experience then myself can shed a little more light (sort of speak) on the issue?
Thanks and Happy holidays to everyone!!!
Old December 23, 2010, 08:03 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

A few things I always come back to and a few new things :)

The old things are the black levels on LCD or any variant of. They suck. Only reason I would really go for LCD is reflection control in bright rooms with no shades to pull. Also cant really beat the response of a plasma.

The new is there are reports of massive dimming of LED backlights within the first year. Some people are reporting 50% brightness reduction in the first year. I would be weary of that until it gets sorted. I bet they are overdriving cheap LEDs.

You could always grab a 106" Dragonfly matt white screen and a JVC DILA projector and see what that it like ;)
Old December 23, 2010, 08:33 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I hate to say this but I find that the plasma sets I have seen are more inclined to exhibit black crush than the higher-end LCD TVs. People seem to forget that there is a thin line between "inky black" and a loss of detail due to an over-abundance of darkness. Many a plasma TV will absolutely destroy scenes in movies like Transformers and Batman.
Old December 23, 2010, 10:09 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I've had a high end sammy plasma and an LCD (although the LCD was smaller 40" vs 50"). Sky's right that sometimes Plasma's can be too dark (I noticed it on the Panasonic set I was considereing) but if you adjust settings it's pretty remarkable just how much you can really change the look of a plasma. I use mine for TV, gaming and even as a monitor and have been very happy with it compared to my LCD.

I haven't noticed any problem with sharpness like you mentioned, but I think the source material for whatever is being displayed and how you adjust the tv will probably have a big effect on that.

IMHO after having had both, I'd happily go plasma again, but there are a couple things you might want to watch for; 1- make sure you enable pixel shift if you're using it for gaming or if you hook it up to your pc. After a year of use I don't have any burn in despite having a windows taskbar at the bottom of the screen 80% of the time.
2- If you're really picky on sound you might want to be wary of the Sammy plasmas, they do have a bit of a buzz. It's not bad, I only notice it if I stand directly next to the TV and since I usually have some kind of music or gaming going I have never really noticed it. If you're a real audiophile or you sit way to close to the TV you might find it annoying

Hope that helps
Old December 23, 2010, 10:31 AM
Top Prospect

Remember that you are more than likely seeing them all in vivid mode. It's my pet peeve at work. We pull the TVs out and set them to store mode, and there goes the picture quality. This works a bit both ways as LCD/LED tvs tend to be way to bright, where plasmas exaggerate their black levels at the cost of shadow detail. If you are really at odds, ask to see the TVs in cinema type modes to get a more accurate idea of their picture.
Old December 23, 2010, 11:01 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I've had about a dozen LCDs and plasmas go through my place in the last 18 months. So far my favorites have all been the LCDs with the Samsung B750 standing out as the best of the best. Honourable mention goes to the Panny G25 for gaming though.

My latest set is a Samsung 55C9000 which has both the girlfriend and I absolutely hooked and the gaming performance is actually much better than I expected. The price will likely turn most people off though.
Old December 23, 2010, 12:07 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The only way I would buy a plasma is if it was going in a bright room. Otherwise LED LCD all the way.
Old December 23, 2010, 02:06 PM
Rookie

Eldonko, I think you meant to say that the other way around (LED/LCD for a bright room).
I should also mention that with reference to brightness and white levels, it just appears to me that this would be one area where LCD/LED have the advantage. As I wrote earlier on a good LCD/LED one almost has to look away when watching a bright reflection of sun on a water surface, just as one would tend to do in reality.
Having said that I perhaps I just have to do a little more calibration work.
I also probably should have mentioned earlier that I was considering the G25 the purpose of watching movies and sports. With the exception of a little bit of Wii time for the kids the TV will rarely be used for gaming.
Old December 23, 2010, 02:23 PM
Banned
F@H

yup, plasma in the basement, lcd upstairs.

plasma upstairs i wouldnt necessarily give thumbs up
Old December 23, 2010, 02:40 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

That's what I meant yah. Geez my brain is on vacation.