Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 23, 2010, 02:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I hate to say this but I find that the plasma sets I have seen are more inclined to exhibit black crush than the higher-end LCD TVs. People seem to forget that there is a thin line between "inky black" and a loss of detail due to an over-abundance of darkness. Many a plasma TV will absolutely destroy scenes in movies like Transformers and Batman.
While I totally agree with this, I'd just like to add something Panasonic has done to work around this problem.

It's just a simple fix, they give you 4-5 saved profile settings to work with. If I'm watching a movie with a lot of dark scenes like Batman, I swap to my adjusted "normal" profile and turn the lights on. I haven't had very many issues with the black levels, as long as the profile is set right for the specific scenario. Now you're still going to have issues when it goes from a really dark scene to a really bright scene though, but it's not a huge deal for me.

My gripe with most low end to mid range LCD's is that there aren't really any good workarounds to increase PQ. For example, if I'm getting motion blur watching hockey, I'm screwed unless I buy a more expensive set well above the $2000 price range. (for 47"+ screens) Now compare that to the price I got my 54" G20, $2068 after taxes/EHF. It really annoys me that television manufacturers seem to be degrading the quality on lower-mid range LCDs to force people to buy expensive LEDs with gimmicky frills like 3D. Then you get bombarded with 3D sets that include glasses and begin to reach the $4000 mark. I'm never spending that much on a television again, it's like putting all your eggs in one basket buying a new technology that's potentially riddled with latent defects.
Old December 23, 2010, 03:14 PM
Allstar

Buying the Samsung 55C9000 just for my G27 racing set-up... Lets just say my wife is thrilled LOL
Old December 24, 2010, 06:35 PM
Rookie

Thanks ilya, And actually as the room is reasonably dark, the more time I spend watching plasma the more I am convinced that it is the right solution for me. Extremely rich accurate colour, great viewing angles and amazingly subtle black tones.
Having said that I still find there is a tiny bit of sharpness still lacking.
I guess I will continue to try slight changes to the contrast and sharpness settings.
Old December 25, 2010, 10:40 AM
Rookie

Ilya, could you please confirm if your black setting is currently set to 'light' or 'dark'?
I understand that Panasonic sets the black level to 'light' as a default setting that the Consumer can not change however oddly mine seems to be set to 'dark' as the default.
I will double check with Panasonic but this does appear a little strange.
Old December 25, 2010, 04:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydandzach View Post
Ilya, could you please confirm if your black setting is currently set to 'light' or 'dark'?
I understand that Panasonic sets the black level to 'light' as a default setting that the Consumer can not change however oddly mine seems to be set to 'dark' as the default.
I will double check with Panasonic but this does appear a little strange.
I use dark for watching hockey and regular watching on non HD channels. I use light for pretty much everything else. That's my personal preference though, you should be able to edit each profile individually and save them for swapping, depending on what you're watching.

AVS Forum has some guides on calibration and whatnot, they even have specific guides for specific television models. I liked the one they have for THX, but I didn't like the other ones, so use it as a reference only. What's important is what you like the most.
Old December 27, 2010, 09:39 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

One huge negative with panny plasmas right now is the floating black issue and the rising black levels over time of the plasmas. These issues completely eliminated panasonic from my pick list