Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 5, 2010, 01:03 AM
Rookie

Default Where should I buy my NEC EA231WMI-BK?

Hi,

I'm looking to pick one of these up soon, they seem widely available enough in online stores but I've been reading about these being hit and miss in terms of quality control for the panels, some suffer more backlight bleed than one would like and I don't want to be stuck with a lemon. The prices vary a lot as well, I can get one for $270 or up to $350, I'm hoping someone here has good experiences with a vendor in terms of returns, I don't mind paying a bit more if I need to, though $350 seems like a ripoff.
Old December 5, 2010, 07:36 AM
Rookie

Buying online will probably always come with a penalty for returns and their dead pixel policy may not be very good. That said, I got my Samsung from Newegg due to the price and it had no dead pixels so it wasn't an issue for me.
Old December 5, 2010, 11:20 AM
Rookie

Yeah I would've preffered newegg but they're asking $330 for the monitor + Tax, EHF, Shipping while a few places like: OnHop, Cendirect, PC-Canada will have it at my door for that price. I don't really know about these vendors, the strange thing is that most of them show the same stock as if they are using the same source, it's true for NCIX even. I wouldn't mind NCIX but they're asking $313 and 5 business days wait because it's a special order, but I can drive to their stores for pickup. I can try price match but that's another 3 days or whatever, or I just chance it with the other vendors. LCDs are such a pain!
Old December 5, 2010, 12:24 PM
Rookie

Ok, I realized NCIX has something called Price Match.. I gave that a try, I'll see how that works out. I also realized I can wait on the monitor given that I'm waiting for the build parts to come in and then I have to put it all together (it's my first time so it won't be so quick anyway). Hopefully I'll get Onhops price and an acceptable panel.
Old December 6, 2010, 04:56 PM
Rookie

NCIX is great, they accepted the OnHop price match in a day (not 3 like I thought it said on their site) so I'll be able to pick it up localy at a great price. Hurra! :)

Cheers
Old December 6, 2010, 09:23 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

they are perty good with there PM, never toke more then a day for me.

My Boinc Stats
Old December 6, 2010, 09:37 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

heh I just bought one off NCIX'sr Black Friday Clearence sale. You'd cry if you heard the price so I'll save you the agony . Thing was absolutely mint. I assume it was returned due to the below stated problem.

Gorgeous monitor. My only beef is the fade which is apperently common for this eIPS panel.

It starts off with the normal IPS "green/pure" tint on the left hand side, and has a 1" - 1.5" fade of dark/red on the right hand side.

Relatively visible on mine, but only really bothers me when dealing with pure white backgrounds and it tends to disappear more once the monitor has warmed up.

I used the Sypder3Pro colour calibrator on it, and it helped a bit with the green side, and made the colours perfect, but the fade still exists.

My other option was the HP ZR4xx but I've heard it has poor dark contrast and blacks, which I felt was important.

I have been meaning to take some pictures and get a hold of NEC about it, to see if they would consider it a defect, but from what I read it is a common "issue" with the entire line and any replacement would likely have the same "Feature".
Old December 6, 2010, 09:43 PM
MVP

My System Specs

^
Common issue with essentially most eIPS out there as well including the u2311h ($230) for Rev00 but fixed mainly for Rev01 from Dell. Interestingly, the 2209wa didn't have as severe of a problem so it's the panel source that's the problem.