Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Display Units (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/)
-   -   120HZ Monitor for gaming worth it? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/38537-120hz-monitor-gaming-worth.html)

Ash December 2, 2010 05:37 PM

120HZ Monitor for gaming worth it?

I am wondering someone with knowledge, is it currently worth upgrading to a 120hz monitor. The truth is I very well like the monitor I have now. However I pretty much just play a few racing games one of them which is very graphic intense, and then play black ops currently. I honestly do not notice with with ops as much. Hard to explain there is a bit of tearing and just enviromentally it just seems like microstuttering and just doesn't feel smooth.

Now I get input leg with my racing wheel, as well as even mouse while playing those two games. I put the pre-rendered frames to 0, it's not as smooth but the leg is gone. I decided today to turn off vsync completely and I got no lag and between 250-300 FPS however it does not look smooth. It's not bad but it's just not silky smooth.

I am wondering peoples opinions if the 120hz monitor's are worth the money for the upgrade. My Samsung P2350 is an excellent monitor otherwise but I feel like I am missing out on the smoothness I should otherwise get.

It would probably set me back about $400-500 for the monitor, is a monitor from 60hz to 120hz going to make that big of a difference. From what I hear people say yes, and I will have no problem holding 120 fps I am double that as it is. But I want to elimanate Vsync completely, I feel like I almost can do it now if I could just get it to run smoother. Just not happening right now tho.

I can post my current nvidia settings, I am just hoping it's monitor related and nothing else. I can run my settings to the max or the lowest and it still exists. In COD it's not that noticeable.

These are the models I am looking at:

NCIX.com - Buy ASUS VG236HE 23IN 1080P 120HZ 2MS 3D Vision Ready LCD Monitor DVI HDMI - VG236HE In Canada.

NCIX.com - Buy Acer GD235HZ Bid 23.6IN 3D Ready 120HZ Widescreen LCD Monitor 1920X1080 80000:1DC 2MS DVI HDMI - ET.UG5HP.001 In Canada.

Thing that worries me is people seem to be complaining about the same thing with the acer. The back light bleeding through.

Perineum December 2, 2010 08:09 PM

Turning off vsync is going to make it worse, in my opinion.

If your monitor is 60hz, and you're getting 180FPS, then that means that there is 3FPS being written to one screen refresh....

The monitor starts to display the image, gets to 1/3rd the way and then it's information has changed, so it writes the new information, now it's 2/3rds the way but the information has changed again.... at least it was like that with CRTs

JMCD December 2, 2010 11:51 PM

It should look fine with vsync on, capping it at 60fps. You'll run into the same problem IMO at 120fps. Howver it will be smoother, whether you can notice that or not is a different story.

Have you tried vsync on?

Ash December 3, 2010 06:09 AM

Yup, and I get this like jittering, it's defiantly smoother with vsync but not perfect by any means. I am going to fittle with the settings a bit see if I can make it smoother. I may end up going 120hz anyways because people who have them that play the game that it eliminates it all together. Likely going to just have to splurge and try it

JMCD December 3, 2010 07:49 AM

I personally found with one monitor, vsync gave me lag - but it looked better. On eyefinity it's just fine with vsync (all new monitors). I'm not sure if it will help you, but either way you'll have a 3D ready monitor as well.

da_bradler December 23, 2010 06:19 AM

will a 120hz actually display 120 frames per second? like I know it has that capacity but will any video card actually send 120 frames per second to the monitor? like if the game runs at 90 fps without v-sync, your display will actually show 90 unique frames?

I thought 60hz was a software limit in windows and 120hz is only useful for 3d?

Herne December 23, 2010 08:21 AM

I remember when I was researching my own, a TV for monitor use, that typically the 60hz models had less input lag then their 120hz equivalents even in their own brand. With no net increase in input speed, the chips on the 120hz screens 'guess' the between states to smooth the motion but it delays the response.

I cannot comment on the particular monitors in question.

Delavan December 25, 2010 04:59 AM

The Almighty LINUS uses the Acer model in his video review of the HD6970/GTX570!!!!

Nice monitor it seems, but I'm not a fan of ACER. On top of that, 24" @ 1080P is not that big...they need to get those another step up in size!!!!!!

Souljah January 18, 2011 04:21 PM

To me its worth it.. I've been FPS gaming for 10 years, and I simply can't play on anything less then 120.

Technokat January 18, 2011 10:17 PM

NCIX.com - Buy BenQ XL2410T 23.6IN Widescreen 120HZ LCD Monitor LED 1920X1080 2MS DVI HDMI HAS Pivot 3D Ready - XL2410T In Canada.

Supposedly that is the best 120hz monitor on the market, no lag, made for gaming.