Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 30, 2010, 06:43 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Plasma HDTV for gaming?

How are plasmas for gaming these days? I know burn in on more recient models has been solved enough to be a non-issue, but other then that how are they?

I have a 32 inch Samsung LCD right now and gaming looks pretty horrible on it. Horrible blur and the picture quality itself is just rotten. Game mode makes it so much worse I'd rather deal with the lag.

I've been looking at some 50 inch Panasonic plasmas and they look pretty damn good (well, for default settings in-store anyway). Thinking about trying to grab something around boxing day (if one goes on sale).

How are these things for gaming? How's the lag? I'll also be watching Blu-Rays, digital cable, Netflix, etc.

Also, can anyone suggest a specific model? I don't care for 3DTV right now.
Old November 30, 2010, 07:06 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Plasmas are naturally better for gaming than LCDs. Unfortunately though, many of the premier manufacturers have been slowly backing out of this field over the last few years. The ones that remain do have issues but they are relatively minor compared to the litany of problems with modern LCD and LED-based LCD sets.

Just watch out for Samsung sets. They still have issues with buzzing.
Old November 30, 2010, 10:10 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Plasmas are naturally better for gaming than LCDs. Unfortunately though, many of the premier manufacturers have been slowly backing out of this field over the last few years. The ones that remain do have issues but they are relatively minor compared to the litany of problems with modern LCD and LED-based LCD sets.

I don't suppose you've tried out an LG PK750 yet Sky?

Design aesthetics is top notch, omg one pane of glass surface is so nice. 60 inch for $1699 is so nice too.

But I've always read that LG's are a step behind Samsung and the Panasonic for black levels. Not that it's a HUGE deal breaker for me, it's still going to be better than the POS Sharp failQuos that I am using right now.
Old November 30, 2010, 11:38 AM

I wouldn't buy an HDTV that's above 55" simply due to the dot pitch ratio on anything larger.

Dot pitch is a likely culprit as to why me and many others find the new 55" sets to be inferior to past years' 52" products.
Old November 30, 2010, 11:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I game on a 58" Panny S1 plasma and I wouldn't want smaller. The Pannies have the lowest input lag of any of the plasma TV's, by the way; one of the reasons I went with the Panny for my humble home theater.

Plasma > LCD for gaming any day of the week. Movies and TV for that matter as well.
Old November 30, 2010, 12:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Pretty much all plasmas I've come across still buzz on startup. My TCP54G20 is pretty loud when I first turn it on, then it goes away. Most units I've tried to demo in store also behave in a similar fashion.
Old November 30, 2010, 12:08 PM
Top Prospect

54 inch Panasonic G25 on the radar now!
Old November 30, 2010, 12:49 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I also game on a 50" panny and i wouldnt want it less (maybe a 56" or 65"). No lag whatsoever and crisp, well defined blacks. Mines well burnt in, so i dont have any IR.

But when i first got it, i went to follow the burning in thread over by AVR forums. Whether it helped, personally im not sure. I concluded as long as you use yours in different modes (gaming, movies, TV, HDTV, etc) you'll be burning in the set that way.

Just make sure when you do get yours, get rid of the showroom mode (where, everything is in max). There's a thread over the AVR's to download the calibration image to use, and works quite well.
-Swiffy MCP35x X2, (2) Aphacool UT60 480 rad, Heatkiller rev. 3.0, i7 3930k @ 4.6 Ghz, 16 GB G.SKILL F3, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, XFX R9 290 w/ XPSC WB, Crucial M4 128GB & 240 GB Intel 530, (5) 3 TB Toshiba Drive, Corsair AX1200, Win 7 Ult 64-bit

HTPC Rig:
-G3258 @ Stock, Asrock Z97 Pro 4, Gigabyte 270x, 500 GB WD Black, (5) 2 TB WD Green, (1) 3 TB Toshiba HD, (1) 2 TB Samsung F4, Fractal Design R3, Corsair HX620 PS, Win 7 Ult 64-bit
Old November 30, 2010, 01:13 PM

You may want to link us to the threads you are talking about. ;)
Old November 30, 2010, 04:43 PM
MVP

I thought that Plasmas were bad for games since static objects like HUDs would cause that spot on the TV to burn from staying the same for too long. No?