Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 30, 2010, 05:00 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I use my LG 42" for gaming and love it to death. To me the picture quality between my plasma and my 52" LCD tv is like night and day, the plasma being the better of the two.
Old November 30, 2010, 06:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootlegUsher View Post
I thought that Plasmas were bad for games since static objects like HUDs would cause that spot on the TV to burn from staying the same for too long. No?
Plasma technology has progressed far enough that burn-in isn't nearly as much as an issue as it used to be. If you were to play only the same game for weeks, without playing any other games or displaying any other type of content, then burn-in might become a problem in static areas. Having said that, people often make the mistake of taking image-retention for burn-in when they first get their plasma TV's. Whereas burn-in is permanent, image-retention is not, and sometimes, especially during the first few hundred hours of TV use, there can be long periods of image-retention where static images are displayed for long periods of time.

By the way, the burn-in DVD mentioned in this thread is primarily meant to be used to age the phosphor cells before a calibration, as the color of new plasma TV's shift slightly while junior cells age. The use of the DVD somehow took on the role of aging the cells so that burn-in probability could be reduced during the early stages of TV use. Indeed, image-retention is easier to achieve during this time; however, using the DVD for this reason is ultimately unnecessary. I treated my first plasma TV to this process because I naively bought into the plasma burn-in fear. I used the DVD once more on my second plasma TV, but that time I did so for a subsequent hardware calibration.
Old November 30, 2010, 09:31 PM
MVP

So what exactly is the problem with LCD tvs for gaming? As we speak I am on a 52 inch Sharp Aquas and it is fantastic.
Old November 30, 2010, 10:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootlegUsher View Post
So what exactly is the problem with LCD tvs for gaming? As we speak I am on a 52 inch Sharp Aquas and it is fantastic.
No one said there is a problem with LCD's for gaming. Everyone is just saying plasma is better.
Old December 1, 2010, 01:38 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
You may want to link us to the threads you are talking about. ;)

Ooops, my bad... here's the DVD break in i used:

Master Burn-In/IR/Break In Thread Part II: All Posts Here Only - AVS Forum

And here's the same info i used for the break in images:

Panasonic PZ80/PZ85 Owners Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 182 - AVS Forum

As most of us mentioned, you dont need to do any more break in. All you have to do is keep using the TV set in all different modes (4:3, gaming, 16:9, HDTV content, etc) to break in the set.
-Swiffy MCP35x X2, (2) Aphacool UT60 480 rad, Heatkiller rev. 3.0, i7 3930k @ 4.6 Ghz, 16 GB G.SKILL F3, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, XFX R9 290 w/ XPSC WB, Crucial M4 128GB & 240 GB Intel 530, (5) 3 TB Toshiba Drive, Corsair AX1200, Win 7 Ult 64-bit

HTPC Rig:
-G3258 @ Stock, Asrock Z97 Pro 4, Gigabyte 270x, 500 GB WD Black, (5) 2 TB WD Green, (1) 3 TB Toshiba HD, (1) 2 TB Samsung F4, Fractal Design R3, Corsair HX620 PS, Win 7 Ult 64-bit
Old December 4, 2010, 09:08 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I'm definitely leaning towards getting a larger plasma now (50-52 inch probably). Panasonic models catch my eye the most. I'll probably have to wait until early 2011 though.
Old December 5, 2010, 09:30 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

We play ps3 on a 3 y.o. 46" panasonic viera plasma. It looks great! don't notice any motion blur etc. The older vieras are very well priced now and they are great quality. Just don't leave them on all the time because they experience "burn in" like CRT's.
Old December 5, 2010, 11:43 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I have a 52inch Samsung Series 5 plasma and I have no issues with buzzing. The anti burn in functions do work well but I've noticed that if I leave the PS3 on the playstation store for any longer than 15 minutes it will leave a slight ghost image of the menu outlines in the screen. This can only be seen when the screen is all black you will see faint outline. This is remedied by used the scrolling bar and all white anti burn in features availible in the menu section. They also go away on there own after a bit after 2 years of solid use there is no permanent burned in images.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/nightwarp/R7YQuMGt-JI/AAAAAAAADoQ/KVuthG6qJfE/s400/Supportourtroops-2.jpg