Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 28, 2007, 12:16 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Soyo 22" Lcd

Hey everyone, has anyone heard of this company SOYO before. My wife told me they had a 22" SOYO LCD on sale at Wal mart for like $199. She was going to buy it for me but told her to hold off. Cause I never heard of this brand before.

So is it a good LCD or what
Old December 28, 2007, 01:21 AM
Allstar
F@H

Right there you answered your own question. Walmart. I really wouldn't have high hopes over a monitor with some sketchy name going for $200 over there. -_-
Old December 28, 2007, 01:41 AM
Top Prospect

I would buy it then see if it is good you can always take it back!!!
Old December 28, 2007, 03:13 AM
Allstar

It probably uses the same panel most 22" LCDs use, but they probably cheaped out on the chassis design, the "behind the scenes" stuff (circuit board, capacitors, etc.), and quality control to keep the costs down.
Old December 28, 2007, 12:48 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
It probably uses the same panel most 22" LCDs use, but they probably cheaped out on the chassis design, the "behind the scenes" stuff (circuit board, capacitors, etc.), and quality control to keep the costs down.

the soyo series at one time was a leader in crt monitors, along with sceptre and a few others, but faded from the scene... mainly due to problems with quality.

Personally I would think this is more for an office type system, no gaming just web and office applications. The only thing is what is there contrast ratio 100:1, 500:1, 5000:1..... what is the ms . is 5s 2ms.. 15?

I would steer clear of budget stuff, though there are excellent monitors out there in the in sub 500$ range do your self a favor and work down the line in terms of benq, lg, dell, viewsonic and do some research , and save yourself the pain of banging your head on the wall after buying a cheap budget monitor and discovering that ghosting, blurriness dead pixels,might be rampant

save up and then get a quality monitor.. and less pain..

Old December 28, 2007, 01:48 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitaldemon View Post
the soyo series at one time was a leader in crt monitors, along with sceptre and a few others, but faded from the scene... mainly due to problems with quality.

Personally I would think this is more for an office type system, no gaming just web and office applications. The only thing is what is there contrast ratio 100:1, 500:1, 5000:1..... what is the ms . is 5s 2ms.. 15?

I would steer clear of budget stuff, though there are excellent monitors out there in the in sub 500$ range do your self a favor and work down the line in terms of benq, lg, dell, viewsonic and do some research , and save yourself the pain of banging your head on the wall after buying a cheap budget monitor and discovering that ghosting, blurriness dead pixels,might be rampant

save up and then get a quality monitor.. and less pain..

Yeah I was just wondering about this LCD, I seen it at a few pc stores, but just never heard of it.
I do not feel like banging my head against the wall for making a mistake that would hurt..lol . Thats why I like to ask you guys , I did a little research on the SOYO, they are mid level LCD's
like Digitaldemon said office use. It has a 5ms response time on that one.

I think a good choice would be the Samsung 226BW Widescreen 22" for $323, or the 19" 931BW for $214.
Old December 28, 2007, 11:04 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by yycraven View Post
Yeah I was just wondering about this LCD, I seen it at a few pc stores, but just never heard of it.
I do not feel like banging my head against the wall for making a mistake that would hurt..lol . Thats why I like to ask you guys , I did a little research on the SOYO, they are mid level LCD's
like Digitaldemon said office use. It has a 5ms response time on that one.

I think a good choice would be the Samsung 226BW Widescreen 22" for $323, or the 19" 931BW for $214.

go with the samsung,or this that one .. http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...nufacture=ASUS

Last edited by Digitaldemon; December 28, 2007 at 11:16 PM.
Old December 28, 2007, 11:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I second the Samsung, love mine, I like my LG too but the Samsung has a better picture .

I dont care for Veiwsonic's mainly because both my 19: CRT's died within weeks of the 3 year waranty.

Go take a good look @ the monitor's you are interested in @ FS or BB, Staples, rule of thumb with a monitor is look before you buy. Then pick it up wherever you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old December 29, 2007, 12:07 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah I went and looked at those Samsung today, they look great, picture and features. OTV had a few on display running, boy! can you tell the difference in color , sharpness. Still going to look at some other brands as well.
Like that ASUS VW222U 22" that Digitaldemon recommended.
Old December 29, 2007, 01:40 AM
MVP
F@H

otv is ok.. with some stuff check this out tho.. if your speaking of otv tech sask...

Future Shop: Computers: Monitors: Samsung SyncMaster 1080p 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor (245BW) - Future Shop Exclusive

Future Shop: Computers: Monitors: LG 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor (M228WA-BM) - Black