Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 21, 2010, 03:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default dynex tv

Well i have purchased a few for my mom and some friends have them there great bang for buck but i want opinions on there 24' led model just to see what people think i know almost nothing about led's set so please tell me what you think. Dynex 24" 1080p LED HDTV (DX-24E150A11) : 20" - 29" LED TVs - Future Shop this is the model i am thinking about grabbing to replace my slowly dieing 28' i-inc it last almost 4 years so no problem with that
Old November 21, 2010, 06:54 PM
F@H

My System Specs

It's your run-of-the-mill TN panel with some scalers to handle all the inputs. I wouldn't expect anything amazing from it and it's most definitely just white LED backlighting. It's not RGB LED, so no major improvement in image quality either. Perhaps just slightly lower power consumption compared to CCFL.

Personally, I stick to brand names under the assumption that it's better built and will last longer (as well as look better). However that's not feasible for everyone's budget.

Some of the Dynex/Insigna stuff I've looked at in-store though doesn't seem too terrible. Image quality is acceptable, but you can tell the difference if it's beside higher end TVs.
Old November 21, 2010, 07:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've got a Dynex 42" that's at least 2 years old and a brand new 46" in the living room. So far, I would probably go with another Dynex in the future. The only big problem I see with Dynex is that (to my knowledge) they change parts manufacturers depending on what's cheaper at the time. I know my 42" is seem as a Prima branded TV when plugged into my PC.
As for the question though, JD's right, LED backlighting is what it is.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old November 21, 2010, 07:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have heard pretty good things about the Dynex LCD tvs but not LEDs though as it is I am way way behind when it comes to Stereo and TV , monitors lol my Stero Amp is from the 80s and works great, weighs a ton mind you and to me seems to sound better then any of the new Stereo amps I have heard .
but TVs my TV is am older ( 14yrs) just broke down and bought a Samsung P2770HD I would have bought a Dynex if I could have found one that had headphone output , probably would have saved allot of money if I could have found one
Old November 21, 2010, 07:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

I've had a dynex 32" lcd tv as both a tv and monitor for over a year and I've got no problems so far :)

Old November 21, 2010, 07:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

oh ya i have a dynex and an insignia the dynex is new the insignia is almost 4 or 5 years old there great.
Image quality in store is always crap cause they have them hooked to basic cable.

what i was wondering is right where jd went about the led's so really there's no difference between this led and a standard white bulb back light so thank you very much guys i always go with the cheaper brands considering i have watched too many high-end models die early deaths, a Buddie who just left my house his Samsung is almost dead and it just over it's warranty.
kinda sucks for him he can't really just go a buy a new one got three kids and not a lot of money.

Was really hoping it might be a good cheap led for gaming but no such luck thanks guys for all your input i really need to learn more about led's
Old November 22, 2010, 07:01 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, it's pretty easy to determine the type of LED backlighting used IMO.

If it's a PC monitor, or a "cheap" TV that doesn't market otherwise, it's just a simple white LED array behind the panel. No different than CCFL really, perhaps slightly different looking colours (due to the colour temperature of the LEDs vs CCFL), but nothing major. Potentially less heat output and power consumption too.

When you get into more mid-range TVs, you'll probably find edge-lit options instead, but still typically only white LEDs. I believe this helps with making it more evenly lit, so you don't have much bleed or dark/bright spots.

Only until you get into the high-end market will you find RGB or in Sharp's case, RGBY LEDs. This is where you can expect some image quality differences. Obviously these are pretty easy to spot as it's heavily marketed as such.

I'm a Sony man myself, having an "older" 40" in the basement and a 46" from last year in the living room. Neither are LED or 240Hz, but the 46" is 120Hz. Basically mid-range models at their time. Get pretty decent sales on Sony stuff at Christmas time due to my mom working for TDSB.
Old November 24, 2010, 07:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Some of the Dynex/Insigna stuff I've looked at in-store though doesn't seem too terrible. Image quality is acceptable, but you can tell the difference if it's beside higher end TVs.
That is true in the store, but I have seen quite a few comments online about how people prefer them to some brand names once they are properly calibrated. I know I spent a bit of time and with some help from the internet for some settings that seemed to be much better than it came with.