Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 16, 2010, 05:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default U2711 2560 x 1440 Text Unreadable Adjustemnts Made.

Noob / Bob Zone question re: new Dell 27" 2560 x 1440

Got it today,impressed with how "solid" it is compared to my old Samsung and the colors / white are so brilliant while the blacks are indeed black!

Now, after I hooked up monitor and changed Res to 2560 x 1440 the font under Icons and on my Task Bar was barely / even not legible. (didn't have this issue with my previous 1920 x 1200 Res monitor)

So had to:
Go to "Set Custom Text Size" from default 100% to 200%......that helps bigtime, but some Apps such as Evga Precision and Steam still have some small text difficult to read.

Is this prettymuch normal for these high Res monitors or am I missing something else?

btw....Gaming at this 2560 x 1440 is very cool indeed, the 16:9 s my old 16:10 doesn't seem to bother me as much as I thought it would.

Nice Monitor ;)

Old November 16, 2010, 05:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Enjoy your headache for the first few days (things are bright)
Old November 16, 2010, 05:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Define barely legible? How's your eye sight?

No problems here for me. Yes, text is much smaller than my previous 2048x1152 resolution, but it's perfectly readable. If anything it's easy to read due to the smaller pixel pitch. Text seems much sharper.
Old November 16, 2010, 06:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well here are some pics comparing "Regular size 100%" - not legible, 150% a little better, 200% very good but lose a ton of real estate, wonder if it has something to do with my nv driver...hhhmmm..

Text 100% Default

Increase to 150%

And finally 200%

thoughts? Thier is no way in the world leaving it at the Default 100% is feasible...font is really tiny and seems messed up...jaggies / blocks etc

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Bobby/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]

Old November 16, 2010, 06:18 PM

My System Specs

Do you have cleartype enabled? Your text looks way too much. Maybe it is the fact that the picture you uploaded is compressed. And firefox are you sure it is set to default zoom? Those look way too small.

EDIT: This is on a 2560x1440 27" display w/ fonts set to default size.
Old November 16, 2010, 06:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Do you have cleartype enabled? Your text looks way too much. Maybe it is the fact that the picture you uploaded is compressed. And firefox are you sure it is set to default zoom? Those look way too small.

EDIT: This is on a 2560x1440 27" display w/ fonts set to default size.
I see a Pr0n folder

But yeah, go through clear type a few times, it took me probalby 5 times but my text is very sharp now, not that I have the same monitor, but it makes a big difference.
Old November 16, 2010, 06:37 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Go to: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display, then click "Adjust ClearType text" on the left menu bar.

Might help? You might just have bad eyes though

EDIT: Ninja'd by Jake...
Old November 16, 2010, 06:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I tried Clear Type adjustments...hard to describe, but with the default 100% the text looks "blocky / jaggy" another thing, although I have chosen 2560 x 1440 Res in Windows / nvcp....when I go to the monitors OSD and select "Menu" the OSD shows DVI-D Connector Image with the resolution as 1280 x 1440 ???? Should not this say 2560 x 1440 ?

Maybe I need to use the DVI-D Cable that came with the monitor? I used the one I was using with my Samsung, just unplugged it from the Samsung and plugged it into this one......
Man..even with stuff set at 150% the text in the HWC Window is barely readable.....even different colors of the letters..as indifferent hues....I'm going to try the other DVI D Cable..

Fixed: - Man I had no idea their were different types of DVI-D Cables....as soon as I unplugged the one from the Dell (the one I had been using with my Sammy 1920 x 1200) and compared it to the terminal pins on the one that came with the Dell...BINGO...anyhow, now the piss off is the DVI-D cable that came with my Dell is about 3 inches too short to properly route behind my desk...need a longer one....which is this DVI_D cable I have (name so I can get another one).....

thanks for your help guys!!

Last edited by rjbarker; November 16, 2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old November 16, 2010, 07:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Ahhh yes, the cable that Dell provides is Dual-Link, which handles the higher resolution.

Guess you were using a single-link cable. I used DisplayPort though so it didn't even cross my mind.

You'll want something like this: For only $4.49 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 10FT 28AWG CL2 Dual Link DVI-D Cable - Black | 28AWG DVI-D Cables
Old November 16, 2010, 07:39 PM

My System Specs

I am sure NCIX will have cables long enough for reasonable price. But you can't go wrong w/ Monoprice either.