Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 17, 2010, 02:56 PM
Rookie

Default tv image out of frame.

Hi Everyone,

I have recently purchased a 37inch 1080p 100hz Panasonic LCD TV which i have connected to my PC via a 10m HDMI to DVI Cable (DVI in PC HDMI in TV).

The image is out of frame on the TV no matter what resolution i choose (out of frame as in the task bar is only just visible).

I tried all aspect ratio options on the TV itself which did not help either, is there a way i can get my image back in frame???

Note that when i connect my PC to the TV via a standard VGA cable the image is perfectly in frame but unfortunately i do not have a 10m VGA cable and will be getting a 10m mini HDMI to HDMI cable when a 10m cable is available (for audio) and would not like to run into the same problem when i purchase the new cable.

Regards,

Mr B Mello
Old October 17, 2010, 03:38 PM
F@H

My System Specs

There are two ways around this.

One is setting the tv resolution setting to JUST SCAN

Or changing the settings on your computer. Are you running an nvidia or ati video card?
Old October 17, 2010, 03:47 PM
Rookie

Hi Arinoth,

I am Currently using a Nvidia GTX480
Old October 17, 2010, 04:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You'll have to go into Nvidia control panel and use the "Resize desktop" option. You'll get 2 slider on the screen for vertical and horizontal positioning. For some reason I find only Nvidia cards do this on LCD TV's.
Old October 17, 2010, 05:36 PM
Rookie

Hi Headsh0t,

Thanks! that was just what i wanted to hear, i will have to try it later as i am currently at work.
Old October 17, 2010, 07:36 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd check your TV for a setting like "pixel to pixel" or something along those lines. Basically you want the pixels mapped 1:1 rather than overscanning which it's doing now.

Overscanning was really only necessary for analog sources, but now with everything digital, you're typically better off with 1:1. The TV should have a setting, but it's named different on every brand.

Should result in crisper text too, since I find scaling it on the video card sometime results in less-than-perfect results.
Old October 17, 2010, 07:50 PM
Rookie

i had the same problem too and changing the res doesn't seem like the right way to go. if I got a 1080p TV then i darn well better be getting 1080 out of my PC. for my LG LCD i had to change the label on my HDMI3 to "PC". maybe your TV has that option. or as others have stated, Just Scan or 1:1 mapping options may work