Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 17, 2007, 01:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Dead Pixel Policy??

Here is a quote taken from Direct Canada:

"LCD monitors and other products with LCD displays (i.e.: notebooks, cameras, etc.) adheres to the dead-pixel policy that been established by most of the manufacturers. Any product with an LCD screen must be a minimum of 7 (seven) dead LCD pixels to be considered defective. Please contact the manufacturer of the product for additional warranty information if you receive a product with less than 7 dead pixels."

To me, this is absurd....or ridiculous (in plain English). Also a reason why you should NEVER buy a screen online....Can you imagine? You buy a nice LCD screen....get it home...only to realize that it has 6 dead pixels....right-smack dab-in-the-middle-of your screen??? Now what??

What is your opinion on this??
Old December 17, 2007, 02:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Some places make exceptions for pixels in certain areas. For example, sometimes if you have four or five in the centre they will replace it but eight spread out over one edge will be ignored. I think it just depends on the company.
Old December 17, 2007, 02:30 AM
Allstar
F@H

I know futureshop has a good replacement policy. How do I know such things? My friend took his back after one dead pixel, and they replaced it...he ended up bringing back the monitor like 3 times due to dead pixels xD

But yes, depending how bad the dead pixels are, a place with good customer support will normally work with you to get it replaced. That is also why I always recommend people to check there monitor for dead pixels once they get it :D
Old December 17, 2007, 06:35 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Dr. Silver View Post

"LCD monitors and other products with LCD displays (i.e.: notebooks, cameras, etc.) adheres to the dead-pixel policy that been established by most of the manufacturers. Any product with an LCD screen must be a minimum of 7 (seven) dead LCD pixels to be considered defective. Please contact the manufacturer of the product for additional warranty information if you receive a product with less than 7 dead pixels."

To me, this is absurd....or ridiculous (in plain English). Also a reason why you should NEVER buy a screen online....Can you imagine? You buy a nice LCD screen....get it home...only to realize that it has 6 dead pixels....right-smack dab-in-the-middle-of your screen??? Now what??

Buy an LCD with NCIX, and shell out the extra 13.50 for express coverage with the 0 dead pixel warranty ... They cross-ship if you have 1 dead pixel or more. Works great, when I had to RMA an ACER panel 2 months ago. Painless I tell you !

Old December 17, 2007, 01:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Dr. Silver View Post

If you think about just how many pixels are on a 19" screen you'd know that 7 dead pixels isn't that much in retrospect to the size of the screen.

So no its not far out at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama_egg View Post
I know futureshop has a good replacement policy. How do I know such things? My friend took his back after one dead pixel, and they replaced it...he ended up bringing back the monitor like 3 times due to dead pixels xD

But yes, depending how bad the dead pixels are, a place with good customer support will normally work with you to get it replaced. That is also why I always recommend people to check there monitor for dead pixels once they get it :D
Its just Future Shops return warranty not a dead pixel warranty. I had purchased a monitor there and it was defective as well and I took it back due to their 15 return policy; if you aren't happy return it for full refund within 15 days.
Old December 17, 2007, 02:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

It's been a while since I had a look at the standard policies, but I believe the dead pixel policy also takes into account whether or not the pixels are close enough to each other to be noticiable (ie 2 together is considered OK, but not 3....).

I'm not sure how big a deal this is lately.... I haven't heard anywhere near as many complaints about dead pixels over the last year or so as I did when LCDs first started hitting the mainstream.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old December 17, 2007, 02:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
It's been a while since I had a look at the standard policies, but I believe the dead pixel policy also takes into account whether or not the pixels are close enough to each other to be noticiable (ie 2 together is considered OK, but not 3....).

I'm not sure how big a deal this is lately.... I haven't heard anywhere near as many complaints about dead pixels over the last year or so as I did when LCDs first started hitting the mainstream.
I knew someone who didn't want to purchase a monitor locally so he shipped in one from Toronto cause it was what he wanted and when it arrived guess what... dead pixel.
Old December 17, 2007, 11:47 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Its just Future Shops return warranty not a dead pixel warranty. I had purchased a monitor there and it was defective as well and I took it back due to their 15 return policy; if you aren't happy return it for full refund within 15 days.
I call it a 15% restocking fee up front, just in case you happen to return anything.
Old December 18, 2007, 12:52 AM
Rookie

Acer's policy for LCD monitors is apparently 4 dead pixels, and I took them up on it when my 2216 monitor developed 5 dead ones after a short time. I RMA'ed it and shipped it to them, and in about 3(! ) business days after it arrived there, they sent another one.

The only problem is, the replacement they sent still has 1 dead pixel. Grr. But at least it's better than what I had before.

I kind of wish I'd bought it at NCIX now, and gotten the dead pixel warranty. Next time! So that way I don't have any hassle, and get a brand new one (as opposed to the same one repaired with a new panel, like Acer).