Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 11, 2007, 02:07 AM
Rookie

Default 226BW or Dell UltraSharp 2208WFP OR E228WFP

So I went to future shop and looked at a lot of different panels today. Hooked all up through DVI to the same comp and also compared them to a non-tn panel.

Compared:
LG 21.6"
LG 22"(L222 something)
LG 20"
SS 21"
SS 20"
SS 226BW 22"
HP 22"
Acer 22"

I did a few tests on all of them. Used the vista BG "Fall tress and sunset" as a reference as well as:

Make a grey background in paint, put a red circle in the center and scroll up and down to test for ghosting(As well as colors... a gloss samsung forget the model number, 22", the red looked pink and I couldn't change the display because the sales reps had the menu locked... and noone knew how to unlock it)

I was very impressed with the non-tn panels reproduction of the red's in the leaves of the BG picture. Though 24inches is too big for me and not an option.

Out of all the monitors the HP probably looked the best in those FS lighting conditions but I'd rather not go glossy. The 226BW definitely performed and looked better than all the other panels besides the HP.

In these settings I Couldn't really tell how bad the backlight bleed was, but from what I could tell it didn't look THAT bad.

So my pick of the monitors is definitely the 226BW for now.

Which brings me to the Dell panels. I have heard a lot of good things about the dells, and right now with their free shipping I't would be the same price as the sammy.

I'm looking at the UltraSharp 2208WFP.
Does anyone have this monitor or reviews of it? Any pictures of the BLB?
Any info on this panel would be great.

Also if I buy it from dell can I return it in a certain period if I am not satisfied and recieve a full refund? Would be my first time dealing with Dell.

Thanks

EDIT: DOh, I just realized I was looking at the american site... so also thoughts on the E228WFP 22'' Widescreen LCD Monitor. Tax in would be about 300 at my door. Good price. Any reason the ultrasharp would command a 100 dollar higher price tag than the E?

Last edited by Strat6; December 11, 2007 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Mistake
Old December 11, 2007, 04:20 AM
Allstar
F@H

Hmm, I knew at one point the high end Dell monitors where actually the number ones to buy. And correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the 2208 have a built in webcam?
*checks site*
Yep, and I would take that over the 228 any day, considering there is only a $40 difference.

Now between the 2208 and the 226BW, truthfully, there doesn't look like there is that much of a difference other then the 3000:1 with the 226B and 2000:1 of the 2208 (to many two's, ugh), and the included built in webcam/usb ports of the 2208. Now to tell you the truth, I'm not sure how much of a difference there is between 2000:1 and 3000:1, as monitors are not exactly my forte.

And as for a refund, not to sure, I'm almost positive that you can deal with a replacement in case of a dead pixel, but I've never actually dealt with Dell, so I don't really know from first hand experience.

Hope's this at least helps a bit, and welcome to the forum! Just noticed it's your first post!
Old December 11, 2007, 10:41 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strat6 View Post
EDIT: DOh, I just realized I was looking at the american site... so also thoughts on the E228WFP 22'' Widescreen LCD Monitor. Tax in would be about 300 at my door. Good price. Any reason the ultrasharp would command a 100 dollar higher price tag than the E?
The E228WFP does not have RTC (Response Time Compensation) - so it probably has serious ghosting issues.

I'm not sure what the difference between it and the E2208WFP is though.

For reference here's a review of the E228WFP.

In regards to the Samsung 226bw... it is a very nice monitor. The colors right out of the box are not totally accurate but can be pretty easily adjusted with the menu controls for good results.
Old December 12, 2007, 04:09 AM
Rookie

I was under the impression the E series was their "Economy" model. But I'm not sure if that is going to just result in less bells and whistles on the same panel/quality as the Ultrasharp.

The E is on special for 269.00 which might expire before I can actually pull the trigger on it. Probably safest to go with the 226BW and if I encounter any issues I can just bring it back.