Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 8, 2010, 10:45 PM
Rookie

Default LCD Monitor Arms

Hello, I've been looking for a decent articulating arm for my 23" monitor. The stand that comes with the Samsung 2343BWX is just about useless, as it can hardly be adjusted whatsoever. I live in an apartment and so have somewhat of a space constraint, and think it would be great if I could swing out the arm and use my monitor to watch TV programs or movies from my bed. A thread here mentioned monoprice back in April.

For only $20.16 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 3 Way Adjustable Tilting Desk Mount Bracket for LCD (Max 33Lbs, 10~25inch) - Black | LCD Desk Mount Brackets

Which would come to fifty some with shipping. I've seen Ergotron arms at Dell.ca, but I read that those are not easily adjusted whatsoever, one needs a little tool to adjust the screws. And I don't want to go over $100.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Falkenad; August 8, 2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old August 8, 2010, 11:02 PM

My System Specs

Your link doesn't work first off.

And secondly I actually use a monoprice arm for my extremely heavy 27" iMac. The one I have screws to my desk. It works well enough. It has no forward/back tilt. Not sure if that is something you need. And moving the height of it is hard. Most of the time when I adjust the height the display starts so slide down a bit everytime.
Old August 8, 2010, 11:14 PM
Rookie

Thankyou for your quick reply, that link should be fixed by now. The one at monoprice is by far the cheapest, and the only problem seems to be that one cannot rotate the stand from portrait to landscape. I think that having the ability to move the monitor out of the way( and elevate it off the table) would potentially save a lot of space on the desk.
Old August 8, 2010, 11:29 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkenad View Post
Thankyou for your quick reply, that link should be fixed by now. The one at monoprice is by far the cheapest, and the only problem seems to be that one cannot rotate the stand from portrait to landscape. I think that having the ability to move the monitor out of the way( and elevate it off the table) would potentially save a lot of space on the desk.
This is the one I have and it definitely does rotate. Almost too easily.
For only $18.85 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Adjustable Tilting Desk Mount Bracket for LCD (Max 33Lbs, 10~23inch) - Black | LCD Desk Mount Brackets
Old August 9, 2010, 09:18 AM
Rookie

So the monitor arm that you have lowfat, it attaches to the desk via several screws instead of a vise clamp? And does it still secure to the desk well?
Old August 9, 2010, 10:39 AM
MVP
F@H

Desk mounted articulated arm

15" to 25" Articulated-Arm Desk Mount - Lee Valley Tools
Old August 9, 2010, 12:59 PM
Rookie

That model looks good Laughingcrow, but the only difficulty is whether or not it can rotate the display from landscape to portrait. I haven't been able to find any documentation for it.
Old August 9, 2010, 02:25 PM
Trial Member

Default good info

I use these things everyday and even sell a few as part of gaming packages. I like sturdy stuff i will only have to buy once...even if these are too rich for your rig ergotech gaming suite has good info
Old August 9, 2010, 03:33 PM
Top Prospect

You might want to actually try looking at your monitor in portrait though first. TN panels aren't exactly the best choices for doing things in portrait mode.
Old August 9, 2010, 03:46 PM
Rookie

True, but I'm hoping that the tilting abilities of an articulating monitor will correct any viewing angle issues. Besides, when in portrait mode my monitor won't really be in portrait mode. I'd be on my side viewing the monitor from my bed. Why get a TV when that setup should work just fine for work and comfort

If that monoprice monitor that lowfat mentioned has a simple vice clamp that I don't have to mess around with screwing things into it, I'm game.