Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 5, 2010, 12:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default IPS for gaming?

As most of you know, I'm going to be ordering my new gaming rig next week. My current monitor choice is a 26" NEC monitor. However, the more I read up on it, the more I think a nice IPS monitor might be the way to go. However, I'm reading conflicting thoughts on IPS for gaming. I know the response is slower on IPS, but is it so slow that it will wreck my gaming experience? Can anyone using IPS let me know?

For reference, the monitors I'm looking in to currently are:
(I get corporate discounts on DELL monitors btw. 10% off listed sale price, + free shipping)

3x Dell UltraSharp 2209WA for eyefinity

OR

1x Dell U2410

I've also read that the U2410 had some issues with colour tinting early on in it's release. Does anyone know if that's an ongoing issue with this monitor? I'm also curious if the displayport on the U2410 makes a difference for input or colour? OR would it really be no different than DVI-D?
Old August 5, 2010, 12:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

2209WA is perfect for gaming. Almost no latency, you can overdrive it to 75 Hz, and a decent resolution where you can pump up everything to max and not worry.
Old August 5, 2010, 12:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Zoob... I was just reading your thread on monitor choices.. ;)

If I go with the 2209, I'll be getting 3 for eyefinity for sure. Anything less would be a waste on the system I'm building. Although I'm still concerned about support for eyefinity. My problem being that, after playing some games in eyefinity, the rest of the games I play on a single monitor @ 1680x1050 are going to look like crap by comparison. And as much as I love the concept of eyefinity, how universally accepted is it? This is why I'm also looking at single, large monitors.

*EDIT* I wish I could afford the 3007WFP. That thing is awesome! I'm almost considering dropping one of my 5870's to fit in my budget and buy the second GPU later on...
Old August 5, 2010, 12:56 PM
Top Prospect

Why not get 3 x u2211 or 2311? They are both 1920x1080, and there contrast ratio is much higher then either the 2209wa or u2410 (in fact the contrast on these two is much lower then TNs of today even). The u2311 is going for $250 each at the moment off dell, not sure what price you are getting your 2209was for.

I use the u2311h and in comparison with a 2ms TN, the TN is faster but in my opinion not really that significant. I'd say in practice the response is somewhere between a 5ms TN and 2ms TN (high speed shutter shots from review sites also tend to verify this). I play TF2 and it is fine, the only problem (and 2ms TNs have this too) is panning with fine detail such as text. The u2410 is roughly the same speed (maybe a little slower), and the 2209wa is faster. I haven't used a 120hz screen, but those a significant jump up from what I hear, so you might want to go that route if you want response times more in line with CRTs.

The displayport connection is mostly important for eyefinity. Since unless the monitor has a native dp connection, you would need to buy a rather expensive active adapter(~$100, not sure if the price has gone down or not). In terms of real world use, theoretically it might lower input lag but I have not heard anyone actually mention this in a real test/use, so the real world difference is either nonexistent or insignificant. If you are talking about connecting a single display, at the moment there is no practical difference.

In regards to IPS, they are better in image quality in a way, but I'll just point out a negative so you are aware of it. IPS monitors do offer very good viewing angle (and by this I mean the screen is the same corner when viewed from head on unlike a TN), but they do suffer from off angle glow if you are viewing a dark image in a dark environment.
Old August 5, 2010, 01:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have a U2410 and I have no problem whatsoever in gaming.
Old August 5, 2010, 01:10 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I've had my 3 U2410 monitors set up for a couple of weeks now using the Nvidia surround vision and my buddy got his setup a few days ago . They gane just great so far BBC2,Metro 2033 , COD etc, havn't seen any lag or immage problems in low light conditions and the colour and immage quality is a lot better than my 240T sammy or my Acer 243BW. In my opinion it was money well spent for these monitors even though the wife just shakes her head at me.
Old August 5, 2010, 01:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

@ limitedaccess

I'll be getting the 2209WA's for $250 eeach as well, and I'd MUCH prefer the 16:10 aspect ratio. I hate 16:9, it's always seemed vertically limiting to me, and it drives me nuts when gaming.
Old August 5, 2010, 01:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

if it were me i would find a way to work the w3007 into the budget. It is an amazing monitor i used to have but had to sadly sell it when i was out of work. I miss my 30" monster. However i think i will make up for it with the 2 samsung 24" and one dell 23" i will ahve shortly for eyefinity . Now if only i could afford 2 3007 and one 3008.
Old August 5, 2010, 02:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

After doing some more research, and watching this video, I think I'm going to go with the u2410. When I get some more money together, I'll upgrade to a single 30".

YouTube - ‪Dell U2410 Comparison Test. TN or IPS?‬‎
Old August 5, 2010, 03:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

U2410 for sure. Eyefinity is great for racing and simulation games, for everything else it's annoying (gaps between screens).