Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 5, 2007, 08:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendofJubei View Post
Just wanted to send a quick thank you for all your help.

Everything is up and running now and I got to say...glad I made the switch. I honestly will never go back to a monitor again. I had a 22" LG, 3000:1, and I thought it was a very good/crisp monitor.

If anybody is considering a new TV I highly recommend the SXRD line from Sony. I'm sitting 8.5' away from the TV and I can read text in a size 8 font from that distance without straining my eyes whatsoever. Don't know why I didn't do this sooner. The sharpness, vividness etc. in all of my games has improved drastically as I am using the native resolution of the tv which is quite a bit higher than the LG monitor I had before. Using a DVI-HDMI cable that I picked up at future shop for $125.

Thanks again
Oh my...
You actually paid $125 for a cable which transmits digitally. Glad it all worked out though.
Old December 6, 2007, 03:58 PM
Rookie

What's the rest of your system like? You must have a beast to be able to game at 1080P!
RAM OCZ Plat. XTC Rev. 2 2GB
HDD Western Dig. 250GB
CASE Antec P180B
PSU Silverstone Element 500W
Old December 7, 2007, 11:49 AM
Top Prospect

Just wondering what is wrong with a digital transmission? I thought digital was better than analog due to signal interference being more prevalent on an analog signal?

Please let me know if I am missing out on a crazy technology that bests digital because I would like to buy that cable instead
Old December 7, 2007, 07:41 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Just wondering what is wrong with a digital transmission? I thought digital was better than analog due to signal interference being more prevalent on an analog signal?

Please let me know if I am missing out on a crazy technology that bests digital because I would like to buy that cable instead
At some point, the digital signal is going to have to be converted to analog. The quality of the conversion process and amplification process are what make the most difference as opposed to the actual transmission process.

If you have a cheap, crappy source, odds are the DAC in the source unit is going to be a piece of junk, so you're likely better off transmitting a digital signal. If you have a good source, it will likely have a good DAC, so you may be better off converting it at the source and using a good set of cables to prevent interference, especially if the amplifier/receiver/other end unit is of questionable quality.
Old December 7, 2007, 09:11 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

Any HDMI is digital...
And because of that it makes $100 cables pointless compared to $20 cables. For long cable runs (50ft+) then comes the need for a higher quality cable. But if its only like 6-10ft theres no point.
Old December 7, 2007, 11:02 PM
Top Prospect

Ok thanks for the info for sure, I will let you know if I notice anything out of the ordinary.

For now it seems perfect though. Like I said I'm sitting a good distance away from the TV with a wireless keyboard/mouse and I can read all of the small print text.

I opened up a word editor and it looks like size 4 Arial is as small a font I can read without straining my eyes to see anything. Other than that it's great. Been playing World of Warcraft and it's fantastic, very sharp vivid colors. I'm not a complete tech head and couldn't provide detailed reasons as to why I'm seeing a huge difference in quality but I am. I have the first generation of the SXRD family of TVS from Sony and apparently people are having a lot of "green blob" problems...I haven't experience this myself. I've had the set for 2 years problem free so far. Excellent black levels etc., looks fantastic with Blu-Ray and also BW dvd's. Been most impressed with titles such as Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, 300, Sin City. Xbox 360 and PS3 look great, especially the GRAW series and Call of Duty 4. Anyhow, I highly recommend this TV to anybody, but would recommend the newer models such as XBR2 or XBR4 or 5 I believe they are coming out with now. Probably not the right forum to list these but I figure if you're looking for a good monitor, why not a TV instead?

The monitor I had is this one here: LG L226WTY-BF 22IN Widescreen LCD Black 2MS 1680X1050 3000:1 300CD/M2 VGA DVI Tilt Swivel Monitor

I don't know if that is a low end monitor or not but I was very impressed with it at the time. It was just a sort of..."i wonder what it would look like" phase that came over me and one cable later I'm very impressed. Again thanks for your help :) I'll keep my eyes out for any distortion or anything due to signal degredation from the digital.

Is there anything in particular I should be looking out for?

Also I know that this is not the right thread, but can any of you point me to a very high quality surround sound system? It's the only thing I am lacking at the moment. Just have some cheapo logitech speakers hooked up right now.