Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 27, 2010, 06:28 PM
Rookie

Default Looking for Asus VG236H in Canada

Hey all,

I was recommended to come to this forum from a friend. I have begun looking for an Asus VG236H, which here in Canada seems to be on the difficult side. I normally purchase a lot of hardware through NCIX, but they have their monitors listed as not being in stock until some time in August. Since I'm not patient I am of course looking for alternatives, I can't seem to find any online vendors in Canada with this in stock and was wondering if anyone here has been successful?

My other option is to order it from a US site and have it shipped to a US location, I am close to the border, so could drive down and get it but I figured I'd get raked over the coals in duty. Best price I've found is on newegg.com for 499.99 with free shipping.

Anyone have anything to offer up for advice?
Old July 27, 2010, 07:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would go with this samsung since I sell Asus at my job ( not the 120Hz one ) And the image quality and color are nothing near samsung. Or you will have to get the Acer 23 120 which is acer so...probably crap.
Samsung SyncMaster 2233RZ 22in 120Hz Widescreen LCD, 3D-Ready at Memory Express Computers
And for the price of the samsung you can even get 2 of them.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old July 28, 2010, 09:19 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The reason the ASUS is so expensive is that it comes with a 3d vision kit included. That, and the fact that it's bigger and has a higher resolution than the 2233RZ, so even if the picture quality is better, there is only so much that 1680x1050 can do to compare to 1920x1080, and I doubt the pros overcome the cons between the two.

As for the TC, I don't think there are any VG236H's in stock at the moment anywhere, as they just came out. Your best bet is to either wait or look elsewhere for a 120hz monitor, like the Samsung or the Acer.
Old July 28, 2010, 09:36 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

The 2233RZ = crap

I've gone through three now and they all suffer from excess contrast and massive backlight bleed.

The ASUS monitor you are talking about was only released a few weeks ago so it may be a little while before any make it north of the border.
Old July 28, 2010, 09:47 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the feedback guys. I tried a few more sites, but as you've said it's very new and just not in stock. I've decided to bite the bullet and pull the trigger on a purchase from newegg.com. I have to make a trip to the US within the week to pick up some other packages and will find out the damage at the border.
Old August 4, 2010, 07:04 AM
Rookie

Crossed the border last night and picked up my new monitor. So here are my 1st impressions.

Most of these are knowns about TN panels.

Monitor: Very nice and bright, but on black screens you can see the light bleed on top and bottom. Also since it's very reflective on black screens you notice yourself... scary eh?

3D Effect: Friggin amazing, got the high back that I felt at PAX when I tried BF:BC2 on 3D Surround. The only major draw back is games that aren't supported well. I felt queasy playing some games that had rendering that "looked" strange.

Overall VERY happy with the purchase. Now preparing for my 2nd 460 and then 2 more panels for the surround.