Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 3, 2010, 02:33 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Odd 206BW static/flicker issue

Sister's Samsung 206BW is failing -- or at least seems to be.

Any bright point on the display displays not a flicker, but almost static. It's difficult to describe -- in a static image, such as the blue of the task bar in Windows, the problem is visible as a repeating, slightly off-colour pattern.

When running off the analog connection, all the bright pixels move (or change colour to give the appearance of moving) constantly. Off a DVI cable, the flicker is much more restrained and the static is for the most part, erm, static.

As it appears with a DVI connection.

Tried two analog cables and a digital one, two different computers using three different video cards and even set it up as a clone of my primary display -- so the problem is definitely in the monitor somewhere. However, the damn thing's self-test appears perfectly -- the "Check Signal Cable" box displays with no static, no flicker, and all three colour boxes clear, even as it moves across the screen.

The "Check Signal Cable" box appears clean to the human eye, despite the photo below.

I'm thinking there might be an issue in the electronics which receive the signal -- any ideas on a repair? It's not life-and-death, but if I can rescue it, why not? After my graphics card, I'm feeling adventurous.
Old July 5, 2010, 02:02 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Any time I've seen it, it's an electronics problem. The repair would likely equal the cost of a new display.

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732

Tags
samsung 206bw , static