Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 29, 2010, 10:23 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

What I'dd like the most about the 3D hype would be to see the non-3D tv's dropping in value. I'm not a big fan of 3D.. surround gaming is something nice but not something i'm willing to invest in.
Old June 29, 2010, 01:59 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Its something I'm interested in but the price ..... THE PRICE.
I guess if you go 2D and just buy 2 monitors similar to the one we have its not bad but I'd definitely want that Ergotech stand.
Even the wife cautiously agreed it looked pretty cool.

Old June 29, 2010, 03:28 PM
Top Prospect

the case should be fortress ft02 rather than the rv02 you mentioned.
Old June 29, 2010, 03:30 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
For the record: I hate 3D in a Consumer Electronics environment. For gaming, it works very well in quite a few games.
i totally agree sky, i dont need avatar-d in 2d at home, let alone in 3d, bah..
although i think 3d gaming will be standard one day, and not just every few games, all games, it just needs to be implemented correctly
Old June 29, 2010, 05:57 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I almost bought another GTX480 a few days ago just to prepare for using 3 normal monitors with Nvidia Surround.

A good friend of mine has the Nvidia 3D Glasses and a Samsung 3D LCD screen for his PC and after playing 3D a couple times on his machine I just don't think 3D is for me.

I would however enjoy being able to play Team Fortress 2, or Battlefield Bad Company 2 in Landscape mode across 3 LCD's.

Defiantly looking forward to reading more about all of this as I am interested in the non 3D part of it :)
Old June 29, 2010, 06:37 PM
Banned
F@H

nice. was expecting quite the frame drop and it seems to be there, somewhat
also, i like the idea of the thing running on one card(like ati's 5970 with multiple display ports)
Old June 29, 2010, 07:28 PM

enjoyed your article, SKY. Haven't had a chance to test my setup yet (JUST got monitors), but now I'm really looking forward to it

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old June 29, 2010, 08:01 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilyeti View Post
I almost bought another GTX480 a few days ago just to prepare for using 3 normal monitors with Nvidia Surround.

I would however enjoy being able to play Team Fortress 2, or Battlefield Bad Company 2 in Landscape mode across 3 LCD's.

Defiantly looking forward to reading more about all of this as I am interested in the non 3D part of it :)
I jumped on the Eyefinity wagon last November because I was already looking to have a multi-monitor gaming setup but the TripleHead2Go device presented odd technical requirements (such as monitors capable of displaying at "59Hz", etc.). The extra cost of the active dp adapter was just the cost of being on the edge, really.

While I think 3D is an expensive gimmick, I have had a lot of fun with my Eyefinity setup playing games like TF2 and Bad Company 2 - it's a lot like those Sharp ads: you have to see it to see it. Having both GPU companies in the game should help to remedy the one problem surround gaming has right now: developer support. I should mention, though, that all UT3 Engine-based games have horrendous FOV issues that render them unplayable in multi-monitor mode.

Not only is gaming awesome (single-screen gaming feels like I'm playing with horse blinders on), but productivity goes through the roof with the amount of screen real estate you have. After I brought my two extra monitors home I basically became "the idiot who bought three monitors" to my girlfriend for a few weeks...until she had to work from home one day. After ONE day of using them she straight-up apologized, said she was wrong, and said "I think they're great!". Not bad.
Old June 30, 2010, 05:15 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Great review. I've seen a few movies in 3Dizzle and I have to say I don't find it adds anything to the movie. Avatar was visually impressive, but without a good plot, or in a games case gameplay and plot, I don't see myself really getting into this type of set up. It's the cost of set up that really gets me, I have three nice monitors now, I don't want to have to buy three more, with glasses, and two 480's. The new 3DS however I'll get.
Old June 30, 2010, 05:43 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I personally think that 3D would be amazing on a 30" monitor but that's about as likely to happen as Canada winning the World Cup.