Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 18, 2010, 12:58 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default BEST mainstream monitor for color and clarity

Hey guys, I am currently using my Samsung 275t as my primary with an old dell 19" lcd as a secondary. Generally I like to have a movie or media player running on the second screen while I do things on the primary.

I would like to keep the 275t, but upgrade my secondary monitor to something better. Beside the 275t, the whites of the dell monitor look absolutely dull gray. I have adjusted the monitor as best I can, but it just doesn't cut it. The reason I bought the Samsung monitor was because, at the time, it had the brightest, most realistic colors of any monitor I had ever seen, and even at $1k I had to have it. It blows my newer Sony Bravia TV out of the water for color and ghosting.

But, it's 3 years later and perhaps something better has emerged? I stopped at best buy, future shop, and staples, but didn't see anything that looked as nice as this Samsung.

Problem with monitors is though, review sites like cnet tend to just give everything a good rating these days. Afraid to P/O manufacturers or something. Most stores do not properly adjust their monitors, so it's hard to get a good idea just by browsing. Some monitors look like garbage out of the box, but come to life with a little tuning.

What do you guys recommend in a 24+ 1920x1200 that would look as good as the 275t? or is a second 275t the way to go. (still freaking expensive)

Thanks!
Old June 18, 2010, 01:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Give this one a shot... it's my dream monitor.

Dell UltraSharp? U2410 Monitor with PremierColor technology
Old June 18, 2010, 01:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well, brightest and most realistic shouldn't be used in the same sentence when talking about color accuracy (realistic). What I would do is find a non-TN, standard sRGB monitor and a meter to calibrate. You'll get the most accurate desktop, game and movie presentation going this route. Once you've had a properly calibrated display, there is no going back, even if you don't do an iota of photo editing.
Old June 18, 2010, 02:11 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
Well, brightest and most realistic shouldn't be used in the same sentence when talking about color accuracy (realistic). What I would do is find a non-TN, standard sRGB monitor and a meter to calibrate. You'll get the most accurate desktop, game and movie presentation going this route. Once you've had a properly calibrated display, there is no going back, even if you don't do an iota of photo editing.
Sorry, I guess realistic isn't the right word. I'm not after a perfectly true color reproduction as much as I care about "how it looks". IE, i get very lush greens especially with this monitor. I have only calibrated my monitor by eye and with the aid of a few onscreen "color and shade differentiation" pictures and never even considered a meter until just now I guess. Any specific recommendations on a meter?

The 275t I have is an s-pva panel. I especially like the high brightness of this monitor, though black text on a white background nearly burns my eyes. lol.

My folks just ordered a new Dell PC with a u2410 so I will get a chance to check that one out personally very soon.
Old June 18, 2010, 07:31 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

i bought this HP LP2475W a few months ago and like it a lot; you can read a good review here: HP LP2475W Review

Ego cogito, ergo deus non est.
Old June 18, 2010, 07:46 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

if anyone would like to try calibrating his monitor for a very low cost, you can try this, it works very well:deviantART: Gellidius's Journal
the article's title is: "Monitor Calibration for a few Dollars or Euros".

Ego cogito, ergo deus non est.
Old June 18, 2010, 09:31 AM
Banned
F@H

a little over 2 bills, the sw 24 incher from sammy will treat you well
Old June 18, 2010, 09:58 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

My fav is still the Dell 3007WFP for just being a monitor.
Dell only sells the 3007WFP-HC which has a different backlight for increased colour gamut, so make sure your apps are colour space aware unless you like the oversaturated reds.

Excellent panel, minimal display lag, S-IPS technology, 2560x1600 resolution.

It has only a single DVI-D input, so you'll need a KVM if you want to hook up more than one PC.
Old June 21, 2010, 07:23 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Dell U2410 or U2711. Both have a good sRGB mode for watching videos or using non-color aware apps in Windows. The U2410 is 24" 1920x1200, and the U2711 is 2560x1440. It is a 16:9 ratio monitor vs. 16:10, and I feel it is a bit pricey at nearly $1k Canadian.

HP ZR24W is another good low-cost IPS screen, and it is sRGB gamut so no need to worry about color management. This will differ from your Samsung in terms of how strong the reds and greens are. Wide gamut screens tend to have oversaturated colors when used without color management.

The one difference you would notice with all of these above IPS monitors is that the anti-glare coating on them is a bit stronger than your Samsung 275T, and there is a bit of a "crystalline" effect to them.

If you want the closest current monitor to match, the Dell 2709W (27"/1920x1200) is a good match to the Sammy 275T as well. Slighly newer S-PVA panel, and the response time of the panel is quite good, even with dark color to dark color transitions where S-PVA panels lag a bit compared to IPS.

I had one of these and I loved it, and I got it on a special one-day Dell deal for $599.99 back in 2008.

Best Buy and Future Shop have almost exclusively TN panels which do not hold a candle in terms of image quality to your 275T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin1706 View Post
Hey guys, I am currently using my Samsung 275t as my primary with an old dell 19" lcd as a secondary. Generally I like to have a movie or media player running on the second screen while I do things on the primary.

I would like to keep the 275t, but upgrade my secondary monitor to something better. Beside the 275t, the whites of the dell monitor look absolutely dull gray. I have adjusted the monitor as best I can, but it just doesn't cut it. The reason I bought the Samsung monitor was because, at the time, it had the brightest, most realistic colors of any monitor I had ever seen, and even at $1k I had to have it. It blows my newer Sony Bravia TV out of the water for color and ghosting.

But, it's 3 years later and perhaps something better has emerged? I stopped at best buy, future shop, and staples, but didn't see anything that looked as nice as this Samsung.

Problem with monitors is though, review sites like cnet tend to just give everything a good rating these days. Afraid to P/O manufacturers or something. Most stores do not properly adjust their monitors, so it's hard to get a good idea just by browsing. Some monitors look like garbage out of the box, but come to life with a little tuning.

What do you guys recommend in a 24+ 1920x1200 that would look as good as the 275t? or is a second 275t the way to go. (still freaking expensive)

Thanks!

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732
Old June 21, 2010, 11:47 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Thanks guys, at least I have a few model #s to look at now. I find it painful to pay over $500 for a monitor when you see them advertised for like $200 all the time, but after this monitor I don't think I can go back to a cheap Tn model.