Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 22, 2010, 11:11 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Eyefinity...Worth It?

I'm toying with the idea of adding a 3rd monitor to my desktop. I was thinking of getting the same model as my current two, Samsung P2250, before they no longer are available. It does not have a displayport input so I would need to get an active adapter as well. But is the expense and deskspace real estate worthwhile for gaming immersiveness or is it an unnecessary fad?
System Spec Peripherals: Corsair H70 cpu cooler (w/ 2 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm fans) | Zalman MFC3 fan controller | Gigabyte Aivia Osmium kb | Steelseries Sensei mouse | Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers | SteelSeries SX mouse surface
For the real serious stuff: 2.53GHz Mac Mini | 4GB DDR3 1066 RAM | 320GB HDD | Samsung P2250 (x2) | Apple Magic Mouse | Apple Magic Trackpad | Apple Wireless KB | Drobo FS 6.5TB
Laptops: Dell XPS M1530 | Asus G74SX-DH71
Surface Pro 128GB
Old May 22, 2010, 02:18 PM
Allstar

Its been Proven By a Few OC.net Members that a Non-Active displayport Adaptor running @ 1920x1080 per monitor, Runs Eyefinity Without a Issue.

As for the real question here, Im trying to find a Reason Not to Buy 2 more 24" for eyefinity myself.

The only thing as of right now that is Stopping me is... WIll i be able to run MAX everything with a 5870.

Ive been told NOT a Chance.

With games Like BC2/Fallout3/Newvegas (coming) Im thinking ill need Crossfire Just to make everything pretty again

I love the Idea of Eyefinity, But a little old 5870 Might not be able to cut it for me.
Old May 23, 2010, 06:27 AM
Banned

No...you DO need an active adaptor. I have tried a few non active ones from friends and they did not work.

That said....I do not believe that eyefinity is worth it.

Do you get motion sick?
Old May 23, 2010, 10:43 AM
Allstar

Read this and Get all the info you need.
Proof...passive adapter WORKS.......

Mal's Eyefinity Project (Info, Pics, Vids) (Using PASSIVE DP to VGA adapter!) - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net
Old May 31, 2010, 10:59 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Thanks for the feedback. I think I will wait. I get the feeling video cards need to get beefier. Also more monitors either need to support displayport connectivity or the cards themselves need to do away with that requirement (i.e. 3 DVI connections).
System Spec Peripherals: Corsair H70 cpu cooler (w/ 2 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm fans) | Zalman MFC3 fan controller | Gigabyte Aivia Osmium kb | Steelseries Sensei mouse | Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers | SteelSeries SX mouse surface
For the real serious stuff: 2.53GHz Mac Mini | 4GB DDR3 1066 RAM | 320GB HDD | Samsung P2250 (x2) | Apple Magic Mouse | Apple Magic Trackpad | Apple Wireless KB | Drobo FS 6.5TB
Laptops: Dell XPS M1530 | Asus G74SX-DH71
Surface Pro 128GB
Old June 1, 2010, 03:23 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

So has any one here tried using the non active DP/DVI/VGA adapter?
Old June 2, 2010, 05:01 PM
Allstar

Im sure i posted something that Might involve ^^^^ that question...
Old June 4, 2010, 06:04 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Is Eyefinity worth it ? I'd have to say that it really depends on what games/programs you are using.
For flight simmers or racing sims Eyefinity is invaluable. The extra FOV (field of view) afforded by eyefinity setups is fantastic for flying or driving, being able to see out the side windows for formation flying or when a guy is pulling alongside you in a Nascar at close to 200 MPH is far superior to a single display setup.
Also for people that have multiple screens running for work eg: web design, CAD etc ... the expanded desktop again is a huge improvement.
As for FPS's ... if you are susceptible to motion sickness ... stay away, the added FOV really exagerates that feeling of movement and can make you quesy in a real hurry. The benefit of course is that again FOV is largely expanded giving you a much expanded view of the battlefield (excellent for snipers) so much so in fact that some peeps online call eyefinity a cheat because you do have a serious advantage.
As for the 5870 not having enough power ... I call bull$%*@ !
A buddy of mine just bought a 5870 and runs Battlefield Bad Company 2 at 5760X1200 resolution across 3 27" monitors and gets well over 60 FPS if V-sync off and it stays pinned at 60 with it on and that's with all the details maxxed ... I would never have believed it if I hadn't seen it but it's true ... the 5870 has plenty of juice.
It all comes down to personal preference I think, I myself have been a multiple monitor user for years and could never go back to a single monitor solution and for my money ATI has hit the nail on the head with Eyefinity.
Old July 4, 2010, 12:22 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

If your looking into Eyefinity then you should also consider nividia's option because they both work good it will end in your preference in graphic cards, monitors and what your using this all for.
Old July 4, 2010, 01:00 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Nvidia's option requires SLI though.