Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 10, 2010, 01:51 PM
Top Prospect

Default Samsung 2333sw Overscan Display Issue

Hey guys, I'm hoping for any advice or help regarding this issue.
I'll try and make it as simple as I can.

SOLVED! (Sort of.)
Repair Technician decided that it may be the internal DDC on the mainboard of the monitor, and possibly the information within it had been erased or malfunctioned. Got a replacement! Woot.

Using an EVGA 8800gt SC 512mb & XFX HD 5850 (I also tried with an onboard Nvidia 6150, which gave similar issues in comparison to the 8800gt)

June 2009, (Windows XP) I bought a Samsung Syncmaster 2333sw 23" LCD Monitor 1920x1080.
Connected via DVI. I would not get a display (It would stay in stand-by.)
Updated drivers to the latest, pre-windows splash I would not get display, but it works after that.
But I could only see the a section of the desktop. (I could scroll the mouse to the sides, and the viewing area would pan around the desktop.)
I ended up managing to force a 1920x1080 resolution, which worked fine. If I tried to reverted to ANY resolution between 1920x1080 and 1024x768, the screen would have the huge viewing area problem again.

January 2010, I installed Windows 7. With the most basic drivers, 1920x1080 seemed to work right away. However any other resolution still didn't work. (Viewing area/Pan issue)
In games, I had to play in 1920x1080 or it would have the viewing area issue again.

May 2010, I bought an XFX HD 5850.
Standard non-latest drivers, the monitor is stuck in standby.
Latest catalyst drivers (10.4), the monitor is stuck in standby.
Using my TV, I've been trying to troubleshoot this issue to hopefully at least get dual-monitor working with the 2333SW, but nothing good yet. Nothing on the computer seems to even detect the monitor.

All that said, with VGA cables everything works fine. (Any driver, any videocard, any computer.)
The issue seems to only happen when connecting via DVI.

Back when I first had this issue, I saw some other people that had this problem but could not fine an exact solution to it other than forcing the 1920x1080 resolution. Now that my new HD 5850 doesn't even detect this monitor, I'm stumped as to what I can do. (Or try)

I'm planning to sell it for real cheap at this point, since it's been nothing but problems for me.

Last edited by GameOnTurtle; May 28, 2010 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old May 10, 2010, 01:57 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Sounds like a dead monitor to me frankly... either the EDID is fried or the panel just won't sync with Any resolution anymore, not even it's native 1080p. That's a fairly recent monitor though, try an RMA?
Old May 10, 2010, 02:24 PM
Top Prospect

Well the monitor still works on the 8800gt and even an 8600gt. (that's at a forced 1920x1080 resolution only via the Nvidia Control Panel.)

But once I bring it to my HD 5850, it gives it the silent treatment.

I was going to try and RMA it back when I first got it, but Samsung told me to check forums and all these other possibilities and frankly I just gave up and decided to use it at the fixed 1920x1080.
I believe I MAY have the receipt somewhere, although it is not in the box anymore since I checked last night.

At the moment, I'm just going to suck it up and buy a new monitor and end up using the 2333sw at work (if it works)
I find it to be difficult to even expect like $130CAD for this monitor at this point.

Oh man, props to NCIX. I just asked them for an invoice copy since I lost mine.
Via email, they replied in about an hour with a PDF.

Well I'm gonna try to RMA this baby.
Anyone know how the 'samsung warranty service for monitors' process is? (Time, Cost, etc.)
It's interesting how Samsung's RMA request form only lets you type in a 200 char description of the problem.

I guess "Possible corrupt/bad EDID" and a little detail of the panning issue would be sufficient?

I feel like I just saved $100 lol

Edit Arinoth: Please do not double post, there is an edit button that can be used to edit your posts to add/remove or change information. Your two posts have been merged into one

Last edited by Arinoth; May 10, 2010 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Double Post
Old May 13, 2010, 07:40 PM
Top Prospect

Okay, looks like samsung received my product, as they already gave me a call today about it.

The technician told me that he couldn't find anything wrong with the monitor, and then I tried my best to explain my situation.

After the call, I started to wonder. Could the problem be due to the type of DVI CABLE I'm using?
I'm using DVI-D Single Link cables, I've tried 4 of them, all single link.
I know that DVI-D Single Link is capable of displaying 1920x1080, but is it possible that this monitor requires a dual link DVI Cable?

Sounds like I'm asking myself a stupid question, but maybe someone knows better =P
Old May 19, 2010, 04:54 PM
Top Prospect

Alright, an update.. (Although no one really replies to this thread, but maybe someone else will come across this issue..)

So I received my monitor, the repair center told me they tested it and it worked fine.

Plugged it into my work computer (ATI HD 3000), does not come out of stand by! How wonderful.
So very frustrated, I call that POS service center, and ask them why the hell they sent me back my monitor without repairing it. After about 15minutes, I just told him I'm going to come in with two computers and the monitor to show him the problem. I told him that it could be the EDID, and it doesn't look like he tested it.

In my opinion, I think this is what happened. He already had a 1920x1080 display plugged in with DVI to the computer he was running (ASUS EN8400GS), then swapped all the cables with my samsung monitor and did not reboot the computer or turn it off. (Thus not checking the QA of the EDID on the monitor.)
I came to this conclusion as I can plug a 1080p monitor into my computer, and then swap the cables without turning anything off, and the 1080p would technically work fine. This is probably due to the fact that the videocard already made an EDID Handshake with the previous monitor, so the resolutions carried over without having to restart it. (I also came to this conclusion as I tried swapping from a monitor with a max resolution of 1680x1050, and after swapping the samsung would not display properly at resolutions above 1680x1050.)

This is pretty frustrating, makes me want to never buy Samsung again, although it is technically not their fault, just the fault of the 3rd-party authorized service center that they relayed me to.