Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 2, 2010, 07:30 AM
Banned

Default 2nd monitor (for laptop) experts?!?

I have a problem. I have tried to google but I don'st even know what should be in the search box!

I'm trying to use a monitor with my laptop. I have it working in XP for a 2nd monitor/screen with my Thinkpad T41 but the desktop (screen) is off-centered. Any reason for this?

The monitor is 20" and has a res of 1680x1050. If applicable, the res of the laptop is 1440x900. I'm not sure if the problem is resolution related but I am giving whatever info I think might be relevant or useful.

The off-center is everything shifted over to the left by a couple of inches or so. So, icons are off the screen. Firefox is off the screen to the left and so is VLC when trying it full screen. Off to the left.

I'll keep trying to find a solution (via google) but I thought I'd see if I can find a solution faster.
Old May 2, 2010, 11:21 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Your monitor probably has an auto-adjust button on it that will try and fit the image to the screen. Press that button and see if it helps. Also, to use the monitor's proper native resolution, right-click on your desktop and go into display properties, select the second monitor, and pick the correct resolution.
Old May 2, 2010, 11:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Your monitor probably has an auto-adjust button on it that will try and fit the image to the screen. Press that button and see if it helps. Also, to use the monitor's proper native resolution, right-click on your desktop and go into display properties, select the second monitor, and pick the correct resolution.

Yup as Zero said you should be able to adjust it right on the monitor itself. I know I have an older IBM monitor that I have to manually adjust everytime I hook it to a different system.

Old May 2, 2010, 11:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Yup as Zero said you should be able to adjust it right on the monitor itself. I know I have an older IBM monitor that I have to manually adjust everytime I hook it to a different system.
That makes sense, ipaine....Yep, Zero's 'auto-adjust button instructions' did the trick! Thanks, Zero!

The resolution of the monitor looks like it's already at native res so maybe it's detected?

Why couldn't I think of the auto button trick?!?

I wonder if it will work in Linux. It's the same problem except I can't get my usb stick detected...

:)
Old May 2, 2010, 11:58 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by technix View Post
The resolution of the monitor looks like it's already at native res so maybe it's detected?
You mean it's showing up as 1680x1050 in the display properties? If so, then it would seem it was automatically detected (though that usually does not happen).
Quote:
Originally Posted by technix View Post
I wonder if it will work in Linux. It's the same problem except I can't get my usb stick detected...
The auto-adjust functionality is all in the monitor. It has nothing to do with the OS you're using.