Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 5, 2007, 05:42 PM
Top Prospect

Default Sony 40" LCD TV KDL40S3000 - First Impressions from an average user

I just got this TV a week ago and wanted to share my opinion for those of you looking for a 40" LCD TV.

First off the specs:

Contrast Ratio : 1600:1
Display Resolution : 1366 x 768
Viewing Angle : Right/Left: 178°, Up/Down: 178°
Panel Response Time : 8ms (gray to gray)
Advanced Video Processor : CineMotion® /Film Mode/Cinema Drive, Contrast enhancer circuit, Green and blue enhancer, Motion and edge adaptive I/P converter, MPEG noise reduction
Native Resolution : 720p

Display Technology : LCD (178° wide viewing angle display panel)
Tuner : ATSC
Video Processing : Yes (BRAVIA Engine™ System)
Noise Reduction : Yes
Comb Filter : 3D Digital Comb Filter
Light Sensor : Yes
Picture Modes : Vivid, Standard, Cinema
Wide Mode : Yes

Analog Audio Input(s) : 5 (4 Rear/1 Side)
Audio Out (Variable/Fixed) : 1 (Rear)
Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr ) Input(s) : 2 (Rear)
Composite Video Input(s) : 3 (2 Rear/1 Side)
Digital Audio Output(s) : 1 (Rear)
RF Connection Input(s) : 1 (Rear)
S-Video Input(s) : 2 (1 Rear/1 Side) rear input has Auto S Video Input Detection
Headphone Output(s) : 1 (Side)
PC Video Input(s) : 1 (Rear) with D-sub 15 and L/R stereo mini plug connection
HDMI™ Connection(s) : 2 (Rear) 1 with L/R RCA audio connections

Styling
First thing I noticed about this TV is it's great styling. Personally I like the look of the TV over other brands. I'm not a big fan of the glossy trim that others use.

Inputs

Lots of inputs! I have a PS3 (HDMI), Wii (component), home theatre system (RCA/Composite), PVR (S-Video) and laptop (VGA) all hooked up to it with imputs to spare. It would be nice though if it came with a DVI input but I have an HDMI-DVI cable that fixes that problem.

Viewing Angle
The viewing angles are also great but I've noticed that the right/left angles are a bit better than the up/down angle.

Picture Quality - Standard Definition
The SD picture quality on this set is GREAT! I sometimes sit up close about 4 feet away from the screen and while watching SD channels I have to say I'm quite impressed. No visible pixelation, colours are great, no banding, no tearing or motion blur... the picture looks just as good as my tube TV in the next room. Playing DVD movies using the home theater system and my PS3 is very good. The mpeg noise reduction seems to work well with DVD's on this set.

Picture Quality - High Definition
My experience with HD on this set is through PS3 games and Blu-Ray movies. Even though the native resolution of this set is 720p the 1080i mode on this set is VERY GOOD. The deinterlacer works so well that I can't tell the difference in picture quality between this TV and my brothers 1080p Pioneer plasma. Blu-Ray movies look great but I've noticed with some PS3 games, RainbowSix Vegas in particular, the picture sometimes looks a bit blurry. I'm not sure if it's a problem with the game or the TV. I've also played Resistance on this set which looks quite good so it could be the difference from game to game.

Picture Settings
Out of the box I found the picture settings need some adjustment. For all the modes, Vivid, Standard, and Cinema, I found everything was set a bit too high and I had to lower a few things to get it right. I usually use Vivid for gaming, and Standard for watching TV and movies.

Value
Overall I think this TV is a great value. I compared it in-store with Samsung and Sharp models which were both more expensive and I have to say I'm glad I have the Sony. The price of this TV has gone down quite a bit in the past few months... FutureShop and Best Buy both have it on sale for $1499 but I've heard of people getting it as low as $1300 which makes this set a GREAT value.

Overall
Overall I'm very happy with this TV. I was considering dishing out more $$$ for a 1080p set but upon comparison I don't think the average user will even notice a difference with HD content. The great SD picture is what attracted me to this set the most though, since I watch mostly SD TV shows on it. In my opinion if you're on a budget and want a great LCD TV you should definitely consider the Sony KDL40S3000.

I'll try to post some screen shots of SD and HD picture on here later.
Intel i5 2500k stock, Corsair H70, Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4 mobo, 8GB G-Skill DDR3-1600, Sapphire 6870, 60GB OCZ Agility 3, 1 x WD Black 1TB, 4 x Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB, Thermaltake Spedo Advanced Tower, Seasonic M12D 850w
Old November 5, 2007, 07:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default It looks amazing for the price

Id love to use one of those as a monitor at work. My desk would like a HQ base of operations!

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old November 5, 2007, 08:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

you're insane it's an 40"..
Old November 6, 2007, 05:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah- yestersday I spent a little time at future shop and took in some of the picture qualities on the different resolutions and mfctrs. I was really surprised by how little difference there was between 720p and 1080p. I do wonder whether the difference would be more pronounced if it was hooked up to a PC for games, though.
Old November 6, 2007, 09:53 AM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
Yeah- yestersday I spent a little time at future shop and took in some of the picture qualities on the different resolutions and mfctrs. I was really surprised by how little difference there was between 720p and 1080p. I do wonder whether the difference would be more pronounced if it was hooked up to a PC for games, though.
Ya, I think 1080p only starts making a difference one you get to 50" and above. Any screen size smaller that than is not usually noticeable to most people.