Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 15, 2007, 09:58 AM
Top Prospect

I'm trying to figure what my refresh rate options are with these specs.
Asus - P4S800
Kingston 2G 3200 DDR
Western Digital 80G,Segate 200G
X-FI Extreme Music,Logetic X-530
Thermaltake TR2-430w
XP Pro
Old November 15, 2007, 12:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
How is that bad? Only as many FPS display as your monitor's refresh rate in any case...
Well it's bad in the sense that if you are getting 100FPS cause you just bought a new 8800GT but your LCD is set at 60Hz and you are getting screen tearing so you enable vsync, now you are only seeing 60 FPS.

Really it's relative and a matter of opinion so you are right in questioning that statement. Some people swear they can see a difference between 60FPS and 75FPS. Others say no. Me... I can definitely feel the difference but really I'd be hard pressed to actually see the difference of a constant 60FPS vs a constant 75FPS.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old November 15, 2007, 03:07 PM
Top Prospect

Were getting our wires crossed some where.I'm still using my CRT and with those specs just trying to find out what my highest refresh rate would be.Never mentioned or bought a 8800GT.I have an ATI X1300 pro .
Asus - P4S800
Kingston 2G 3200 DDR
Western Digital 80G,Segate 200G
X-FI Extreme Music,Logetic X-530
Thermaltake TR2-430w
XP Pro
Old November 15, 2007, 03:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianguy View Post
Were getting our wires crossed some where.I'm still using my CRT and with those specs just trying to find out what my highest refresh rate would be.Never mentioned or bought a 8800GT.I have an ATI X1300 pro .
Sorry I kind of thread jacked in my last post replying to Mars. What I was saying is that vsync is bad if you are on an LCD cause it caps the FPS at 60FPS. And I was using a personal example with the 8800GT ;)

What monitor are you using exactly? I saw you posted some specs. Oh and as I said before, when gaming on any monitor you do not need vsync unless you are getting bad screen tearing. It's kind of a game by game basis and depends on your hardware.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old November 15, 2007, 07:32 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
Sorry I kind of thread jacked in my last post replying to Mars. What I was saying is that vsync is bad if you are on an LCD cause it caps the FPS at 60FPS. And I was using a personal example with the 8800GT ;)
But if you're at 60 Hz, it's capped at 60 fps anyway, regardless of vsync. Hz stands for cycles per second, and you the Hz is the maximum number of frames which can be displayed per second.

But yeah, sorry for the offtopic.

For the CRT, just set it at the highest refresh rate that doesn't cause a blank screen, or the lowest refresh rate that you don't see flickering at, inside that range, it doesn't make much of a difference. I run my CRT at 85 Hz at 1600x1200, it can do 100 Hz, but I can't see any difference between 85 and 100 on this particular CRT.
Old November 15, 2007, 09:45 PM
Allstar

In my experience, Vsync not only lowers your maximum framerate (as it's supposed to), but it also lowers the minimum framerate (which it's not supposed to). If you could maintain a decent buffer w/ Vsync enabled, I'd use it more regularly, but like Thund3rball, I only use it when I experience screen tearing.
Old November 19, 2007, 05:05 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

That is because triple buffering does not work with vsync enabled in direct3D, only in openGL. If you have rivatuner installed you can get around this by running the d3doverider program before you launch your game.

Didn't read all of this thread but I'll put in my 2 cents anyway :)

I had the samsung 225bw for 8 months, same panel as all the other low end 22 inchers.
I was very happy with it until I bought a 24" LG with a higher end panel inside and actually had a chance to run the 2 side by side in clone mode. The samsung looked like absolute crap in comparison. Sharpness, colors, black levels were all inferior. Ignorance is bliss lol, now I will never buy a low end panel again.
Old November 19, 2007, 05:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
But if you're at 60 Hz, it's capped at 60 fps anyway, regardless of vsync. Hz stands for cycles per second, and you the Hz is the maximum number of frames which can be displayed per second.
Ya but capping your FPS at 60 w/vsync is different than playing @ 100 FPS and only displaying 60 FPS on your screen, no? You can feel the difference in the controls. At least I think I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
That is because triple buffering does not work with vsync enabled in direct3D, only in openGL. If you have rivatuner installed you can get around this by running the d3doverider program before you launch your game.

Didn't read all of this thread but I'll put in my 2 cents anyway :)
Good point... In my case Triple Buffering actually eliminated the need for vsync. I ran d3doverider for Bioshock recently and it worked great, instead of enabling vsync. But be warned your FPS can also take a hit from Triple Buffering, but it didn't seem to cause me any distress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
I had the samsung 225bw for 8 months, same panel as all the other low end 22 inchers.
I was very happy with it until I bought a 24" LG with a higher end panel inside and actually had a chance to run the 2 side by side in clone mode. The samsung looked like absolute crap in comparison. Sharpness, colors, black levels were all inferior. Ignorance is bliss lol, now I will never buy a low end panel again.
Ya we kind of covered the TN vs *VA and IPS stuff briefly. The OP only has a certain budget to play with ;)

Desktop:
See the drop down!

HEATWARE