Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 4, 2010, 07:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Heat

I currently have a 50" Panasonic plasma. I find it generates lots of heat. Are LCDs the same?
Old April 4, 2010, 07:39 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

all of my lcd's generate heat, usually the make cracking noising while cooling down after I turn them off. Maybe the brightness is set really high and the backlamp is kicking itself in the arse to keep up? How hot is it exactly, does it burn and can you smell anything?
Old April 4, 2010, 08:05 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

LCDs are generally cooler running then plasma. Plasma use more energy then LCD, thus more waste heat as a byproduct is created. With that being said...LCDs DO produce heat, so they aren't exactly cold after extended usage (you will notice it if you put your hands over the air vents)...but they dont put off "heat up a room" levels of heat either. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 4, 2010, 08:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I had my plasma in the basement where it's pretty cool. I now have it on the main floor in the living room and I notice now that it generates lots of heat. No burning smell or anything like that. Just normal heat. And I was just curious if LCDs produced heat like plasmas do. So as per AKG they don't. That's good to know as I'm thinking of "downsizing" to a 42" LCD and if I keep it on the main floor less heat is better especially in the summer. Also less power would be a bonus too.
Old April 4, 2010, 08:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ours gets quite warm to the touch, I would not be worried about them overheating at all.

It actually has some pretty quality NMB-MAT fans cooling it off... no cheaping out.