Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 27, 2010, 02:03 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

What I would also recommend is that you head over to a real A/V store like Centrale and talk to some of the employees there about your requirements. They tend to really know their stuff and you can get a lot of good advice that way.
Old March 29, 2010, 08:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Costco is a great place to check first.....I'll be picking up this one when I fly home from work on Wed, very good price for a 46" 120 Hz Toshiba!

Costco - Toshiba® 46XV640U 46-in. 1080p 120 Hz LCD HDTV**

This will be the third Flatscreen LCD purchase for me in as many years, moving th LG 42" to the Bedroom and this one in its place in the Familyroom....

Good luck :)

Old March 29, 2010, 08:27 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

mmm... 60 or 120

Funny.. seems like just last year we had debates about Plazma or LCD.

Depends on how "modern" you want your new TV to be man. All of the manufacturers are selling off their old 60Hz stock. Translation: You can find wicked deals on 60Hz TV's and there is no shame in the quality of these units. They look pretty damn good and a bargain!!!

If not laving the "latest techno stuff" keeps you awake at night... simply get the 120. The sharpness of the picture when watching Blu-Ray IS noticeable!!!! But if you watch high-def tv most the time the increase in definition will go un-noticed.

Listen to what ZERO said. Sales guys from a pure A/V store have less of an agenda compared to the big-box-retards. They will be more open, more interactive, and more honest. You might pay more, but you WILL be happier with your purchase and that counts. Knowing you got the right TV for you is a better memory than regreting a purchase somewhere else because it was on-sale.
Old March 29, 2010, 09:09 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
Sales guys from a pure A/V store have less of an agenda compared to the big-box-retards. They will be more open, more interactive, and more honest.
It's not even about honesty; it's about expertise. Best Buy will hire any idiot who can tell someone "this TV looks super awesome" and convince them to buy it. A real A/V store will only hire professionals who actually know their stuff and can provide real recommendations depending on the situation. You just won't get the proper perspective from someone who doesn't have real training in the field.
Old March 29, 2010, 09:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I'm not really TV savy either but I thought the point of 120Hz was to get to a common denominator between 24fps content and 60Hz fps content... do I have that wrong? since I see people saying not to bother with 120Hz. I'm going to be in the market for a TV soon and the one thing that bothers me is the jumpy picture. Just wondering if this might be a refresh rate thing.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old March 29, 2010, 10:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^^ Are these the same so called "experts" that convince the average "Joe" he also need the $150 Wall Mount Bracket so he can mount it "so nicely" over his fireplace???
Great idea......after watching a hockey game or a movie for a couple of hours you need a charopractor to "work" your neck and a visit to a Pharmacy for some muscle relaxers.........use a TV Stand or if mounting on the wall..remember you don't want to look up...your eyes should be at the same level as the screen while sitting in your favorite chair.....

Think about it...your spending 1k on a flatscreen TV.....not 10K on a home A/V Theatre System....
Samsung
LG
Sony
Toshba
are just a few good models....Toshiba offers a 2 yr Warranty (for what its worth)....

Yes, 120 Hz and 240 Hz will improve "motion blur" when watching "fast panning" scenes, particularly sports in general, as in Hockey or Football games, so if you can afford it, go for a 120Hz, I do notice this watching n my old 50" Sony 60Hz as compared to my LG 120Hz...

If you have a little more coin, the newer LED's have n even better picture, as in truer colors and higher contrast, much more vivid picture, blacker blacks yada yada yada, as well as less power consumption (if your a green guy)....
I have a 42" L 120Hz True Motion and its bordering 3D.....very amazing picture.

The link I provided to you above is the best deal out thier that I've found so far......I bought my son that same TV for XMas, only its the 40" model and 60Hz....and I paid only $200 less that above 46" 120 Hz model.

If you don't have a Costco nearby, copy that info from the link and use to Pricematch at Bestbuy, FS or London Drugs, they will honor it......

Quote:
the one thing that bothers me is the jumpy picture. Just wondering if this might be a refresh rate thing.
If you mean the "occasional blur" when fast panning (sports) Biff, yes, the 120 Hz minimizes this as the 240Hz even more so....someone stated that it was a "selling feature", that is not correct..

Old March 29, 2010, 11:07 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff View Post
I'm not really TV savy either but I thought the point of 120Hz was to get to a common denominator between 24fps content and 60Hz fps content... do I have that wrong?
Yes, you have it wrong. It's mostly just a gimmick to generate a smoother picture. Like I explained previously, the TV doesn't actually accept a 120Hz input signal; it just uses interpolation to generate frames in between the ones it's actually being sent, to artificially make things seem smoother. It's not like the recent 120Hz PC monitors which actually allow 120Hz images to be sent to the panel (which is necessary for nVidia's 3D technology, for example, which also wouldn't work on a 120Hz TV).
Old March 30, 2010, 08:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^ Thanks for explaining how the "Interpolation" of the Refresh Rates improves the nagging "motion blur" problem on LCD's Zero.....I know their is a very good explanation of the "Interpolation" in my Owners Manual, was going to re-read that when I fly home tomorrow.......no need now ;)

Old March 30, 2010, 08:20 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

How come no one has said Sharp? (or did i miss it?)

My brother and I both own Sharp HDTVs (mine's 2 years old, his is 1 year old) and we couldn't be happier. I have a 46'' which i got back then for about $1500. By now similar models should be cheaper, so they probably fit within your price range.
Old March 30, 2010, 08:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ Actually Sharp is also a very good brand! (Couldn't list all of em)
To be quite honest, its pretty difficult to screw up on your LCD TV in this day and age, unless you simply get a "lemon".

I would most certainly stay away from Plasma at tis point.

Biff et al...here's a little blurb on "Motion Blur" and 60 / 120 / 240 Hz

LCD Refresh Rates Explained - 240HZ vs. 120HZ vs. 60HZ | Top Review Shop

Quote:
LCD Refresh Rates Explained
The “refresh rate” of 60, 120 or 240Hz refers to how many times a frame is drawn each second. A movie signal is broadcast at 24Hz, or 24 frames per second. A 60Hz LCD will convert the frames to 30Hz frame twice every 30th of a second and a 120Hz LCD will repeat the 24Hz signal five times within every 24th of a second to create the picture you see on the screen.
So with the math out of the way, what does it actually mean? The difference between a 60Hz picture and a 120Hz picture can be detected by most human eyes. The picture will appear sharper, clearer and with less “flicker” with 120Hz as the refresh is too quick for the average eye to detect. The real difference is seen when watching a movie or sports where the picture moves quickly and “motion blur” rears its ugly head. Motion blur is where the 60 Hz frame or image is frozen on the screen and shifts to a different position which is detectable to the eye. In effect a frame is held for 1/60 of a second then abruptly shifts to the next frame. This shows on the screen as a kind of lag in movement when there is a lot going on.
I wouldn't call this a "gimmick" at all.....