Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 15, 2010, 06:54 AM
Banned

Default Samsung monitor video input problem

I'm trying to help troubleshoot a problem with a Samsung monitor's video inputs.

It's a Samsung 932B which has VGA (D-Sub) and DVI-D. I believe the DVI-D port is DVI-D dual link. Right?

The mobo is a Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2 which has onboard video graphics. The onboard video card is a Radeon HD 2100 card. it has VGA and DVI-D ports. Right now, analog video works. I guess I am assuming that the monitor is set to analog mode?

I went to Samsung's support page for the monitor and it looks like you have to switch input modes on the monitor manually. There's a 'source' button that does so? There's no mode for automatic detection???

I thought you could use a monitor for two computers???!? What about if you wanted to use a kvm switch, say? You would need to limit the connections to either all DVI or all VGA or am I missing something?

What are the options for the monitor settings and video connections? I'm not near the monitor right now so I can't try anything right away but I will get to it eventually. I googled the problem but not having much luck yet. It does sound like that it can only be in one mode or the other but not entirely sure.

I hope someone knows or can confirm. Any detailed explanation would be highly appreciated. I don't remember having a problem with video signal detection before.

Edit: Oops! Please move to troubleshooting section? Sorry...

Last edited by technix; March 15, 2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old March 15, 2010, 09:21 PM
Top Prospect

I have a Samsung 23" widescreen which has a similar issue. I have to manually switch between analog and digital (when I had both connected).

Quote:
Originally Posted by technix View Post
I went to Samsung's support page for the monitor and it looks like you have to switch input modes on the monitor manually. There's a 'source' button that does so? There's no mode for automatic detection???
Nope. As far as I know that monitor has no automatic switching. You have to manually switch between Digital or Analog using the source button (you do not have to turn the monitor on or off, just switch the mode). See manual:

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...585A-04Eng.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by technix View Post
I thought you could use a monitor for two computers???!? What about if you wanted to use a kvm switch, say? You would need to limit the connections to either all DVI or all VGA or am I missing something?
Without KVM switch: I don't see why you can't use two computers with this monitor. Connect one computer to the monitor with an analog VGA cable, and connect the other with a DVI cable. You would have to hit the source button MANUALLY to switch between one computer and the other.... So both computers can be connected and both running but you see one at a time just like if you had used a KVM switch. The bad news is that each computer will need its own keyboard and mouse... to use only one keyboard and mouse, you would need something like a KVM switch.

With KVM switch: Connect two or more computers to a KVM switch (all of them analog video or all digital depending on the switch), then connect the KVM switch to the monitor. Connect one keyboard and one mouse to the switch (if the switch accepts this). This way (depending on the KVM switch you buy) you can have the switch "switch" between one computer or the other, but using only one keyboard, one mouse and one monitor.