Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 10, 2010, 10:57 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default IPS vs TN? Gaming

Hi,

By now most of you know I've been looking for a display for gaming purposes to replace my current crappy 22" Acer.

A fact I'm aware of is that IPS is much, much better than TN technology. However, I am more interested in its gaming performance. Some people argue that TN is much better for gaming since it has less input lag and response times, hence appealing more to games. Others that IPS panels look so much nicer and that you cannot see any difference whatsoever while gaming on them.

Question, those of you that do own an IPS panel. Which technology do you find better for gaming? Before, I was kinda of unsure to even consider an IPS panel but after I saw today's DELL deals... that 24" U2410 sure is a great price. I just need to make sure the $511 (after taxes) I'm about to spend will be justified and that I will be happy with the product, which its primary use will be gaming.

Could use some help deciding here.

Thanks
Old March 10, 2010, 11:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The response time listed on that Dell is 6ms grey to grey. I think my 2007WFP is like 16ms, lol. My 2209WA is about 6ms. I still get the odd tearing in games when there's some quick crazy action and strobing lights all at once. Such as you get in the elevator near the beginning of Dead Space. Otherwise I am very happy with my IPS screens. But it is definitely preference. Some people, like me, need great colour reproduction and are willing to compromise a bit on response time in games. Others need a seemless experience to be happy and are willing to compromise on colour. It's really up to you.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old March 10, 2010, 01:14 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

It's hard to decide considering I do not own an IPS panel, if only I could see one in action... Would you say the color difference makes your game a lot more enjoyable too? From the videos I've seen in youtube(again is not ideal really) I saw no ghosting whatsoever on FPS games and racing games on the U2410 but it's hard to say from looking at a video and not live.
Old March 10, 2010, 01:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I don't get ghosting on my panels. And yes I look at games on TN panels at friends' and I cringe at the desaturated or overcompensated contrast visuals. I suppose like anything you might get used to it after a while? I tried calibrating TN panels using a Spyder and it's pretty hit & miss. Some TN panels, despite having colour controls etc..., do not like anything other than factory settings. The moment you start fiddling everything just goes to hell. Whereas my IPS panels really shine after a calibration and minor tweaks here n there.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old March 10, 2010, 01:27 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Would you trade your IPS panel for a 120Hz TN panel for gaming?
Old March 10, 2010, 01:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Only reason I might try a 120Hz panel is 3D and since I have never seen a game in 3D I can't say for sure. But at this time I would have to say ... no. ;)

Desktop:
See the drop down!

HEATWARE
Old March 10, 2010, 01:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You know you could buy and return it if you're not happy. Dell is pretty good about that sort of thing. It is a very good price.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

HEATWARE
Old March 10, 2010, 01:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Pixel response time is different than display input latency. The pixel response time (G2G, etc) makes much less of a difference (I haven't seen any recent LCD ghost) compared to display input latency. The display input latency (input lag/whatever you want to call it) is usually caused by the monitor's scaler. That is the delay from moving your mouse before it shows up on your screen.

My original Dell 24" 2405FPW had disgusting amounts of input lag that actually made me terrible in CSS and gave me motion sickness in HL2.
Switching to a 3007WFP gives me almost instantaneous response to any movement.

PRAD | Reportage: Inputlag

Input lag of a Dell 2209WA E-IPS screen: PRAD | Review Dell 2209WA (s)
2209WA vs 3007FPW
Face-à-face Ecrans - Les Numériques

2209WA vs U2410

2209WA vs Samsung 226BW A
Old March 10, 2010, 02:09 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I bought a 2209WA to replace a 226BW and have never looked back. I haven't noticed any problem with input lag or ghosting at all--only colours...glorious colors, and a MUCH better viewing angle.
Old March 10, 2010, 02:20 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I've honestly never struggled this much to buy a piece of hardware lol. But I guess nowadays there are so many options out there that it makes your decision a little harder. Looking at that site, you are basically saying that I will feel dizzy from games after a while cause of the lag it causes. On the other hand I see videos on youtube of this display on Eyefinity and it looks freaking gorgeous... honestly makes me drool.

I'm still looking for that "ideal" monitor for gaming for my new rig, and I'm stuck between 3 choices:

1. The new Acer 3D 120Hz
2. Dell U2410
3. Asus VW266H

Someone seriously needs to pick one for me or I never will :(