Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 12, 2007, 04:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Lg 226wtq 5000:1 !

Tonight I just bought the 22" LG 226WTQ which has a 5000:1 contrast ratio and a 2ms response time thanks to aN "OVERDRIVE" tevchnology that I know nothing about. I got it for only 330 bucks- it was actually cheaper than it's 3000:1 predecessors, however, since I got home I started to do some more research and found some rumor that there might be a problem with this overdrive technology---anyone know anything about it??
Old October 12, 2007, 04:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
Tonight I just bought the 22" LG 226WTQ which has a 5000:1 contrast ratio and a 2ms response time thanks to aN "OVERDRIVE" tevchnology that I know nothing about. I got it for only 330 bucks- it was actually cheaper than it's 3000:1 predecessors, however, since I got home I started to do some more research and found some rumor that there might be a problem with this overdrive technology---anyone know anything about it??
Don't know about that overdrive, but I do know that the contrast ratio usually don't mean a lot as you will usually only ever see 700:1
Old October 12, 2007, 05:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah- I know that both of these measures are not truly representative of the quality og the picture- a high contrast ratio really just means that they've made areally bright screen that might appear washed out and sort of overexposed. It was a bit of an impulse buy based on the fact that I thought it would be at least as good as it's predecessor. I worry now though- I wonder if they might actually sacrifice picture quality to get good looikng specs (and I know they would)
Old October 12, 2007, 06:05 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If you can disable it, I'd do so. Samsung also has this "dynamic contrast" feature which basically dims/brightens the backlight. It usually lags too much resulting in brief periods where it's too bright or too dark.

LG may be better, but I found it quite annoying when watching movies/gaming with the backlight always adjusting.
Old October 12, 2007, 07:38 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
Knowing nothing about this model in particular, most modern LCDs with good response times incorporate some kind of overdrive technology.

My Dell 2407WFP-HC has an issue with it where darker colored trails appear behind moving images, or halos if the brightness is cranked too high. I've heard of similar artifacting problems with some LG models... for the most part, it's a trade-off between overdrive "artifacts" or ghosting.
Old October 13, 2007, 09:13 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

LG's "Overdrive" is probably similar to Dell's own overdrive-style method of improving contrast and grey-to-grey response time. However, there are repercussions with fast-moving dark-bright mixtures.
Old October 13, 2007, 10:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It turns out that the L226WTQ is just the new version of the L226WT and uses the same panel except with the overdrive technology that reduces response time at the expense of increased ghosting. And as I said before the increased contrast ratio is probably acheived by making the whites brighter- anyway it seems there is a work-around in the setup.

I'm waiting on an RMA for my motherboard so I'm using my laptop right now, but I'll have a look-see for the ghost and the potential fix when I get my desky back together

In case someone has this monitor and is interested- if you are experiencing ghosting (a good test is to draw a large grey square with a red circle inside it using ms paint and move the window around you screen- if you see a whitish halo around it, that's ghosting) go into your service menu by turning the monitor off, then back on while holding the menu button- after the destop reappears, release the menu button and press it again to get to the service menu- then go down to panel and change it to LPL22W.4

Last edited by Babrbarossa; October 13, 2007 at 11:32 AM.