Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 17, 2009, 06:54 PM
Rookie

Default VGA-DVI Adapter Quality Loss?

I was just wondering if I am using a VGA cable with a VGA-DVI adapter on my video card do I lose any visual quality?

I only have 1 VGA and 1 DVI port on my monitor and one I have connected to my PS3 with a DVI-HDMI cable and the other is a VGA cable with a VGA-DVI adapter going into my video card.
Old December 17, 2009, 08:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

By using the VGA connector you'll lose some quality, but, since you had to ask, it's obviously not enough to worry about.....
Old December 17, 2009, 08:49 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

There is no real quality loss. The DVI to VGA adapter is just a passthrough connector which takes the VGA signals being sent through the DVI connector and converts the port into a VGA port.
Old December 17, 2009, 10:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Err, I'm wondering now if I read that correctly. Was he referring to the connection style or just the adapter? VGA doesn't give as good a picture as DVI would, but it's not *that* bad, at least what I've seen on lower resolutions (1440x900). I wouldn't expect the adapter to add any significant signal loss or corruption to the mix.
Old December 17, 2009, 10:20 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Err, I'm wondering now if I read that correctly. Was he referring to the connection style or just the adapter?
Good point; I assumed he was talking about the latter. I suppose if you combine both our previous posts, it makes up a complete answer.