Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 22, 2009, 05:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default led backlit ( good yes no ? )

Ok i know that there better then most but this seems kinda cheap for a led backlight. I don't much about monitors opinions on this NCIX.com - Buy Acer S243HL Bmii 24IN Ultraslim Widescreen LCD Monitor 1920X1080 LED Backlit 8000000:1 2MS VGA 2HDMI - ET.FS3LP.001 In Canada.
or any other led lcd's thanks guys/gals
Old November 22, 2009, 07:29 PM
MVP

My System Specs

LED backlit doesn't equate to a better LCD. In the end, it's the panel that matters for the experience. A poor panel backlit by means of LEDs will perform worse than one not backlit by LEDs with a better panel. Do you have a budget range? LED backlit is more of a gimmick to me (for those who just want "thinner" screens) as the screen quality has not improved over its "predecessors" but manufacturers need to push some form of new technology out. You'd be better off getting the 22" Dell e-IPS screen.
Old November 22, 2009, 07:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

gotcha thank there just thinner. no budget just always looking never no what or when i will upgrade my monitors. so keeping my eye out
Old November 22, 2009, 09:27 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Well with good LED TV's you can definitely notice a difference (in the high end LEDTV's) I saw one in person a few months ago, it boasted a 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio and was a top of the line sony brand, and I gotta say there was absolutley nothing I've ever seen to compare to it. The picture quality is simply stunning, the colours are UNREAL. I don't know if this is the case with this screen though, as it's a lot less expensive. However the user reviews on it are good, I'd just recommend waiting for a professional review on this screen. It certainly looks sexy though :)
Old November 22, 2009, 09:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpolyz View Post
it boasted a 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio
Well that Acer boasts a 8,000,000:1 contrast ratio! I also see they don't give a true contrast ratio in their specs. I hate that because I always turn off the auto contrast...
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old November 22, 2009, 11:05 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff View Post
Well that Acer boasts a 8,000,000:1 contrast ratio! I also see they don't give a true contrast ratio in their specs. I hate that because I always turn off the auto contrast...
Yeah, plus I've heard that the way they measure it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and in many other different ways, so companies can lie about what it actually is. The one I saw was at a few thousand dollars and was only 20"-ish so I'm geussing that was a true (or close to true) contrast ratio.
Old November 23, 2009, 05:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have come to accept that they just make that number up he eh kidding. but this just looks nice to me but it might just be looks . i have a bad habit of buy lcd based on the way they look at first glance. i no not good this is why i ask
Old November 23, 2009, 08:29 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpolyz View Post
Yeah, plus I've heard that the way they measure it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and in many other different ways, so companies can lie about what it actually is. The one I saw was at a few thousand dollars and was only 20"-ish so I'm geussing that was a true (or close to true) contrast ratio.
I think what you saw was an OLED TV which is far different from a LCD with LED backlighting...

As such, that is a the true, static contrast ratio on OLEDs. They don't need to use dynamic dimming of the backligts to achieve it like LCDs do.
Old November 23, 2009, 12:24 PM
MVP

My System Specs

this is heavenly:
55" LED HDTV UN55B8500 55" 1080P LED HDTV - LED TV - Televisions | SAMSUNG
Old November 23, 2009, 07:27 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
I think what you saw was an OLED TV which is far different from a LCD with LED backlighting...

As such, that is a the true, static contrast ratio on OLEDs. They don't need to use dynamic dimming of the backligts to achieve it like LCDs do.
sorry, yeah my mistake it was a OLED screen (why are the names so confusing?)