Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 16, 2009, 08:53 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Need a new TV, help with recommendations please

while my current tv is now 5 years old and is starting to fail. Its a projection tv and its starting to get a bad red tint (mainly when dark colours or black screen is present)

For now this tv will work but after christmas I would like to get a new one, im looking for something thats full HD and around 50"-52" and preferably with atleast 2 hdmi ports and mabey even a DVI port, though not as important

Im not very upto date on tv's so im not sure which ones are good for a decent price
Old November 16, 2009, 02:56 PM
MVP
F@H

After Xmas it will be a whole different ballgame. You would be well advised to read the e-reviews now to familiarize yourself with the 'must-have' features and specs, and double-check before you buy later.

I bought a 38" Sharp Aquous 1080 last year around Xmas and it was good bang for the buck. Bravias are decent too. It's all in the eye of ...yeah...
Old November 16, 2009, 03:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

My recommendation: TV & Video: Television: Sharp Aquos 52" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV** (LC52E77U) | Best Buy Canada Web Store

But you should post a price range that you're looking to spend. It'll help narrow things down. LCD, LED, or Plasma?

Edit: My buddy who troubleshoots HD setups for Shaw says Samsung and Sharp have the best pictures for LCD's, and Pioneer for Plasma's.
Old November 16, 2009, 03:13 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

if you want the best TV it's no contest. Any salesmen that works at the electronics counter will tell ya the Viera owns (they stare at them all day side by side with other TV brands)

Panasonic 50" Plasma (TCP50U1)

1) Has 3 HDMI inputs (2 rear, 1 side)
2) is 50" (as per your spec of 50 to 52)
3) Plasma has a wider viewing angle than LCD
4) it's a 1080p display

Last edited by grinder; November 16, 2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old November 16, 2009, 03:47 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
My recommendation: TV & Video: Television: Sharp Aquos 52" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV** (LC52E77U) | Best Buy Canada Web Store

But you should post a price range that you're looking to spend. It'll help narrow things down. LCD, LED, or Plasma?

Edit: My buddy who troubleshoots HD setups for Shaw says Samsung and Sharp have the best pictures for LCD's, and Pioneer for Plasma's.
lol i wa sjust gonna ask aboutt hat exact tv, looks very nice and people seem to like it.

Im coming from an older crt 1080i projection tv so im sure anything new would look good
Old November 16, 2009, 08:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Darker room go plasma. Room with more light go LCD.
Old November 16, 2009, 08:48 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

ya i heard that before, theres definatly lots of light in my living room, thanks for the warning
Old November 16, 2009, 08:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

also if you want a good comparison don't go to bb/fs. Go to a home audio store. here in ottawa thats audiotronic and bleeker. Not sure what you have where you are but i am sure there are some. They will be setup more closely to what you would mostlikely have at home so get the real idea of what it looks like then just buy the hardware from who ever gives you the lowest price.

Old November 27, 2009, 08:09 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

how is this tv? I know its not as new as the other sharp one but its on for a good price ($1200) probably because it sno longer being made.

TV & Video: Flat Panel Televisions (Plasma And LCD): 45 - 54" Panel TV: Sharp 52" AQUOS D65U Series 1080p LCD HDTV | Visions Electronics
Old November 27, 2009, 08:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

well i have not heard of many people complaning about aquos's. So it's probably a safe bet. But if it is indeed end of life i would check to make sure it still under warranty and that it's not a refurb unit and what the return policy is should you get a stuck pixel. I would be really steamed if i paid $1200+ for a tv and it had a bad pixel. I know that when i bought my $3k projector if it had one i would be sending it back. That is still a pretty good price for a sharp. Also keep in mind that it has no DVI so if you want to hook a computer to it and get hi-def you will need to use HDMI.