Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 27, 2009, 08:42 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcdguy View Post
well i have not heard of many people complaning about aquos's. So it's probably a safe bet. But if it is indeed end of life i would check to make sure it still under warranty and that it's not a refurb unit and what the return policy is should you get a stuck pixel. I would be really steamed if i paid $1200+ for a tv and it had a bad pixel. I know that when i bought my $3k projector if it had one i would be sending it back. That is still a pretty good price for a sharp. Also keep in mind that it has no DVI so if you want to hook a computer to it and get hi-def you will need to use HDMI.
ya i got an xbox360/ps3 for movie streaming and 2 monitors on my pc so no need for computer hook ups lol
Old November 27, 2009, 09:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

lol. true enough. but there is something to be said for Large Screen Gaming (by large don't mean no puny 52 or even 60" er's i game on around 96")

Old November 27, 2009, 09:51 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcdguy View Post
lol. true enough. but there is something to be said for Large Screen Gaming (by large don't mean no puny 52 or even 60" er's i game on around 96")
haha if ever i could convince my wife a projector is a good idea.

on that note, what are some good ones for close to 1k (mabey 1.5k) lol never hurts to look
Old November 27, 2009, 11:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

that depends. most full 1080p HD ones that have a half decent are around 2k+.

incase your not aware (although you probably are) there are 2 technologies for projectors DLP and LCD. At the resolutions were talking the screen door effect is pretty negligable. I have an LCD based on and love it. having said that for your price range i would stick to either epson or optoma. The Panny and Sanyo's are out of your and my price ranges (the good ones start at plus 4k). One feature to definitely look for in ANY projector is called lens shift. This alows you to shift a lens either horizontal or vertically or both. This makes screen alignment a breeze. If your interested i can try to take some shots of it in action.

I would look at the following ones.

For full 1080P resolution but not much else look at the following.

NCIX.com - Buy Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8100 HDTV 1080P LCD Projector 1920X1080 1800 ANSI 36000:1 2XHDMI - V11H366120 In Canada.

NCIX.com - Buy Optoma HD200X 1080P DLP Projector 1920X1080 1500 ANSI 2500:1 HDMI 1.3 - HD200X In Canada.

For the uber choice (mind you these are out of your price range)

NCIX.com - Buy Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 6500UB 1080P LCD Projector 1920X1080 1600 ANSI 75000:1 Lens Shift HDMI - V11H292020 In Canada.

It's pricey but it's basically the best Hi-def projector epson makes that is available to the public.

And finally some reasonably priced 720p projectors

NCIX.com - Buy Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 705HD HDTV 720P LCD Projector 1280X800 2500 ANSI 2000:1 HDMI - V11H331020 In Canada.

NCIX.com - Buy Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 700 720P LCD Projector 1280X720 2000 ANSI 2000:1 HDMI - V11H285620 In Canada.

You might notice i am really pushing epson. No i don't work for them. There are a couple of reasons.

1. I really like thier projectors.
2. They are industy leaders (first company to release a sub 3K full HD Projector)
3. The warranty is amazing
4. Blubs are fairly reasonable.

Couple of other things you should keep in mind. Setting up a projector is alot more work as you need to think about where your going to place the projector in relation to where your projecting on. Are you going to need a screen or not. Also how are you going to hook it up to your system (i needed a 40 foot HDMI cable). Finally with a projector you get no ATSC/NTSC tuner so if you want to tune HD OTA you will need a HTPC. The Bulbs also don't last as long as a TV (2000-4000 hrs vs 30,000 hrs half lfie of most LCD's). And finally you must be able to control ambient lighting otherwise the picture quality will suffer. But having said all that i can say watching a blu-ray movie on a 96" screen with full 7.1 audio. I really don't go to the movie theater anymore :). If i were you and want something that will be more easily wife approved i would stick with a TV as a projector has alot of hidden costs people don't think about that may not please the wife. But then again your size is only limited by your throw distance or wall space until you hit the projecting limit which on mine is 150 inches :). Just so you know that 6500 series projector is almost 4k but has some rebates on it bringing it down to around 3k.

As a something to go by here is my av hardware configuration and approximate investment. You can probably get the same for a less now since i have been adding to it over the years.

Display: Epson Powerlite 1080p UB (50,000:1 dynamic CR Ratio)
AV Reciever: Marantz Sr5003
Fronts: JBL Venue Stadium
Center: JBL Venue Voice
Rears: JBL Venue Book Shelf
Rear Backs: JBL ES-01 Bookshelf
Sub: Athena P-4100
DVD/Blu-Ray Player: PS3
VCR: JVC
Tape deck: JVC
CD Player: JVC
Video Player: Popcorn Hour/HTPC
cables: Monoprice Rules

Probably all of that has costed me in excess of 10k over the last 5-7 years. Whats it worth it ? Hell Yeah.

Old November 28, 2009, 01:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If your in the market for a "simple" 42" to 52" LCD TV...they're a dime a dozen...go to Costco first..then take thier prices to someone else for a Price Match....really..its not a big deal..I have a 50" in my livingroom...a 46" in my Family Room and a 40" in my Bedroom and a 32" in my Kitchen....Samsung..LG..Sony...Toshiba yada yada yada yada...they're all good (get the one that is the best price)...but thier is always going to be a lemon out thier!
I'd now stick to a minimum 120Hz....LED is the big thing now as well!

Don't go near a Projector System unless you have a ton of $$$$ and a dedicated Theatre Room in your home....otherwise a 50" + HD set-up with a decent 1k 7.1 System will be just fine!

Hey LCD Guy..what?!...you stick your face 3 inches from the screen "looking" for those dead Pixels....wow..hard core man...I'll give you that!! Looking at your stuff above...trully hardcore into the "Movies".....you throw $$ into your TV Hobby as I do into my Computer hobby ...But my wife never say a word!!! (cause she gets the hand me downs)

Last edited by rjbarker; November 28, 2009 at 01:20 AM.
Old November 28, 2009, 05:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

great little app use it all the time
UDPixel - udpix.free.fr
Old November 28, 2009, 08:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

actually i am has equally "hard core" in the computer area. But ya one of things that i find is really nice when gaming on such a large screen if your doing multiplayer on a split screen it's really nice. On the home theatre front i am thinking about upgrading my Blu-ray player to a new blu-ray jukebox sony has come out with. Now your going to say that $2000 bucks is a lot. But when you look at it. If i were to store 400 blurays in uncompressed format i would need one massive NAS or SAN. Then i would need something to play them, Popcorn hour not to mention a blu-ray drive in my computer. So in my mind this is a cheaper more problem free alternative. Mind you i am going to wait until i actually have some blu-ray movies

Old November 28, 2009, 08:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

just thought i would point out this today only deal on a toshiba tv.

TV & Video: Television: Toshiba 55" 1080p 240Hz LCD HDTV** (55ZV650U) - Best Buy Exclusive | Best Buy Canada Web Store

enjoy.

Old November 28, 2009, 08:36 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

haha wow nice deal. To bad I have to wait till after christmas to buy a new tv. Her and her dam sensible thinking "oh we should wait to see how much we spend on christmas preents before we go spend $2k, and we might find good deals after christmas"

I dont see why she needs all this logic anyways, she dont even have pointy ears! lol
Old November 28, 2009, 08:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

that does suck since your probably not going to find another 55" 240hz at that price.